Oil leak - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Oil leak

ECGS Fall Sale - 10% Off EVERYTHING!!Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 09-01-2014, 09:33 AM   #16
mrmud4x4
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay View Post
Hi, the PCV valve is on top of the engine? that one has been leaking for years on me but very very slowing...1 drop a week or so. I cannot attribute where this continues oil drip(its not drip any more but a flow) is coming from. I will check this today.
remove the PCV and clean it out with carb cleaner/brake cleaner....shake it back and forth and make sure it is clicking....if not, replace it. It is on the top of the valve cover....

watch this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eey3UgYUsik

if the PCV is not operating as mentioned, it may create pressure in the engine which may force oil out through weak gasket seals.

Unread 09-01-2014, 10:12 AM   #17
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hello guys, I wasted two days( too hot outside and too much dirty falling on me, so I took mytime) replacing the RMS and pan gasket. Damm thing leaks even worst after this. So it might not have been the RMS after all as you suggested. That leaves me two things to blame.
I feel for you guy, same thing happened to me. i would bet it is the pan gasket at the rear in the half circle it has to fit into the grove on the engine side. did you do like i posted previously to keep from getting the seal in wrong.
i ended up selling my jeep cause i could not get the leak stopped!!!
kahanabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2014, 12:42 AM   #18
vijay
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmud4x4 View Post
remove the PCV and clean it out with carb cleaner/brake cleaner....shake it back and forth and make sure it is clicking....if not, replace it. It is on the top of the valve cover....

watch this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eey3UgYUsik

if the PCV is not operating as mentioned, it may create pressure in the engine which may force oil out through weak gasket seals.
Thanks!!!
vijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2014, 12:44 AM   #19
vijay
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahanabob View Post
I feel for you guy, same thing happened to me. i would bet it is the pan gasket at the rear in the half circle it has to fit into the grove on the engine side. did you do like i posted previously to keep from getting the seal in wrong.
I'm just going to replace with a single piece gasket. I'm pretty sure that is now contributing to the issue.
Unread 09-02-2014, 12:52 AM   #20
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
um... hope you told the buyer it was leaking...
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2014, 01:11 AM   #21
vijay
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ok! this is just to help others reading this forum: I found this video that shows the procedure...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyV3O34ttu0.

Now that I see this. I did two crucial mistakes during installation.
a) When I re installed the rear bearing cap, I applied RTV all over the joining surface. BIG MISTAKE. I must have changed the arc by adding distance and hence the leak.
b) The four piece gasket is a crap(well, four pieces of same crap). I will install one piece gasket and RTV ONLY (ONLY) at the corners.

I will order parts on my way to work tomorrow.
Unread 09-02-2014, 05:19 AM   #22
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahanabob
....ended up selling my jeep cause i could not get the leak stopped!!!
What?
Unread 09-02-2014, 06:11 AM   #23
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

To check for a valve cover leak, just take a clean rag and wipe the back of the top of the engine, just below the top cover. Find oil and you have found a leak that imitates a rear main leak. (That top part the PCV goes into is the valve cover)
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2014, 07:57 AM   #24
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
What?
too much was breaking and the oil leak was the last straw (after trying to fix it 2 times), just tired of throwing $$ at it. next up would have been a clutch, i did tell the buyer he would need to address the oil leak.
Unread 09-02-2014, 08:05 AM   #25
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
ok! this is just to help others reading this forum: I found this video that shows the procedure...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyV3O34ttu0.

b) The four piece gasket is a crap(well, four pieces of same crap). I will install one piece gasket and RTV ONLY (ONLY) at the corners.

I will order parts on my way to work tomorrow.
pay close attention how the gasket fits at the back of the pan in the half circle it must go into the grove on the engine side. i don't know how you will know for sure if it seats correctly since no visual. when i took mine apart twice it was all crimped over and did not seat??????? good luck......
Unread 09-02-2014, 08:46 AM   #26
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
pay close attention how the gasket fits at the back of the pan in the half circle it must go into the grove on the engine side. i don't know how you will know for sure if it seats correctly since no visual. when i took mine apart twice it was all crimped over and did not seat??????? good luck......

A little goes a long way. This will keep your gasket from getting pushed out of place. Used to buy it by the case weekly at the Jeep Shop.
3m-20weatherstrip-20adhesive-2008001.jpg

Unread 09-02-2014, 12:00 PM   #27
vijay
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I placed order for all items @ PepBoyzzz.
1) Two PCV valves.
2) FEL-PRO One piece pan gasket.
3) FEL-PRO Valve gasket (this was the most expensive $36+)
4) New rear main seal
5) Oil filler cap
$88.57 total. Let's see if I can get this right this time around. At least it will not take me 2 days. I think I can get it done in a matter of hours. Also, I like the idea of Adhesive. I will buy that in the store (thanks Old4x!!!)
Unread 09-02-2014, 12:43 PM   #28
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

You only need one PCV valve to suck fumes out, the other hole is an elbow with a line to the air filter for fresh air in.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2014, 12:54 PM   #29
Gausswave
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'd add this to what old4x suggested...If you have the aluminum valve cover off already take the time to clean out the baffles. If they are clogged you'll get back pressure that will blow oil out of any weak gasket. I had just replaced my rear main, valve cover and oil pan gaskets. I had enough pressure that it was blowing out the new rear main, fuel pump and the distributor gaskets. Last weekend I cleaned out the baffles, replaced the gaskets on the fuel pump, distributer, reinstalled the valve cover and so far all is good!
Gausswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2014, 09:06 PM   #30
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahanabob
too much was breaking and the oil leak was the last straw (after trying to fix it 2 times), just tired of throwing $$ at it. next up would have been a clutch, i did tell the buyer he would need to address the oil leak.
Naw, what? Old jeeps are eminently renewable like a 60s VW Beetle. Other than rusted out frames they're just parts and even rusty frames can be fixed. Just my opinion

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.