Oil leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Oil leak

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-22-2014, 03:49 PM   #1
vijay
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Oil leak

My Jeep started a nasty leak last evening on my way home. I’m attaching the pictures here. Where is this leak coming from? It does appeasa to be at bottom intersection of Trans and Engine. Any help?

I looked up online and this is the most hits I get:
http://www.myjeeprocks.com/feature/r...-installation/

I post in other forums etc(no luck yet).

vijay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2014, 03:53 PM   #2
mrmud4x4
1988 YJ Wrangler 

rear main seal....or valve cover gasket....probably the latter...
Unread 08-22-2014, 03:56 PM   #3
mrmud4x4
1988 YJ Wrangler 

just read another thread...check if it's oil or brake fluid....
Unread 08-22-2014, 05:41 PM   #4
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

looks like rear main seal thats where it leaks from, between that metal plate and the bell housing. if it is coming down on the exposed side of that plate then maybe valve cover.
kahanabob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2014, 06:34 PM   #5
vijay
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmud4x4 View Post
just read another thread...check if it's oil or brake fluid....
100% Engine oil....
Unread 08-22-2014, 06:35 PM   #6
vijay
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahanabob View Post
looks like rear main seal thats where it leaks from, between that metal plate and the bell housing. if it is coming down on the exposed side of that plate then maybe valve cover.
How do I replace the rear main seal? Do I need to remove the exhaust etc like TJ?
Unread 08-22-2014, 11:12 PM   #7
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Oh it's a fun job. Not difficult, just VERY oily. You'll most likely need to drop the exhaust pipe from the manifold. Once you remove the oil pan bolts, you'll need to remove the rear main bearing cap (closest to the flywheel). In my experience from doing many of these, it's best to loosen (don't remove) the rest of the bearing caps to release pressure on the seal. It is a two piece seal-one in the lower part of the bearing cap and one in the top. The one in the top will need to be driven out with a brass punch (DO NOT scratch the crankshaft journal surface or you'll have a whole new set of problems). Take your time; it will come out-sometimes they're stubborn.
Once you've installed the new seal(s)-and retightened all of the bearing cap bolts back to 80ft/lbs, I recommend going with the one-piece blue felpro pan gasket when putting the oil pan back on.. Use Aviation adhesive to hold it in place on the pan before installing, otherwise it will want to drop in the pan and cause many cuss words and wrench throwing.

There are several good write ups on here which I recommend you look at to make sure you apply RTV in the proper spots on the bearing cap and oil pan gasket. Good luck!

Btw- before you tackle this, be sure it's not leaking from the back of the valve cover!!!
82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2014, 06:43 AM   #8
mrmud4x4
1988 YJ Wrangler 

before I did the rear main seal...I would confirm that is the leak....my valve cover seeps a little....looks like a rear main seal leak when the oil shows up below.

Get a can of engine foam degreaser from autozone...spray it all over the jeep tranny and engine and let it sit 15 minutes...then hose it all off. Make sure you get the engine block area above the bell housing.

when it is dry, check all the areas with a flashlight, then go for a drive and check all the areas with a flashlight again.....if you can't eyeball, feel with your fingers for wet oil.
Unread 08-23-2014, 10:04 AM   #9
Joeyj88
1988 YJ Wrangler 

my valve cover was leaking in back to the same spot. I thought maybe my RMS was leaking but after a few trips thru a creek there is no more oil down there.
Joeyj88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2014, 06:15 PM   #10
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

a tip from a novice, set up the seals on the bench along with the main cap. set the main cap so the slot for the seal is away from you. the seal on the cap only goes in one way so the little ears line up in the cap. the top half of the seal has to go in the same way set it on top of the seal in the cap and you will see the ends do not match if you have it backwards. once you get the correct orientation of the top seal mark the top seal outside (the side that will be facing towards the front of the engine) with a black marker. now when you crawl under to slide in the top seal make sure the side you marked is visible and facing the front of the engine. trust me you think you know which way it goes then you crawl under and on your back, you need the marked side!!
now comes the pan install, the issue is getting the gasket at the rear of the pan on the half circle to go into the grove on the engine, good luck with that. there are many writeups and many horror story's take your time. on my 92 did not need to remove exhaust...............
kahanabob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2014, 06:02 AM   #11
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

As others have mentioned check up top first. I take a clean rag, run the engine for a bit, then wipe behind the valve cover. If I get oil, I have found a leak that needs to be fixed first before chasing after a rear main seal.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2014, 06:10 PM   #12
vijay
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hello guys, I wasted two days( too hot outside and too much dirty falling on me, so I took mytime) replacing the RMS and pan gasket. Damm thing leaks even worst after this. So it might not have been the RMS after all as you suggested. That leaves me two things to blame.
#1 Gasket from O-really!!! was correct and/or I did not install properly. But to my defense, it is now leaking from the same spot as before only worst. So, I must have got the installation right.
#2 Valve cover: I have no idea what/where this is. Can you guys tell me how to chase this down?

Also, note after replacing the RMseal etc, the first few drops of oil started coming down between from bell house cover and bell house!!!!?
Unread 08-31-2014, 06:14 PM   #13
vijay
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
I recommend going with the one-piece blue felpro pan gasket when putting the oil pan back on..
This is what I should have done...the four piece is just too difficult to put on and I'm not sure I got it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Btw- before you tackle this, be sure it's not leaking from the back of the valve cover!!!
How to check this? I doubt that the oil is running down from the top though....but I will check.
Unread 08-31-2014, 07:04 PM   #14
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Believe it or not, but if your engine isn't tuned properly and your PCV system working as designed, you will never stop the oil leaks, no matter how many gaskets you replace.

You MUST have good manifold vacuum at idle and eliminate all vacuum leaks (proper state of tune), and your PCV valve, hose, and grommets must all be in good shape. The baffles in the valve cover need to be clean, as well as the vacuum fitting at the base of the carb where the PCV line hooks up.

A RMS will never suddenly start leaking, it is a slow degradation starting with a weep, followed by oily residue, and going to an occasional drop of oil every now and then.
Unread 09-01-2014, 10:06 AM   #15
vijay
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X View Post
Believe it or not, but if your engine isn't tuned properly and your PCV system working as designed, you will never stop the oil leaks, no matter how many gaskets you replace.

You MUST have good manifold vacuum at idle and eliminate all vacuum leaks (proper state of tune), and your PCV valve, hose, and grommets must all be in good shape. The baffles in the valve cover need to be clean, as well as the vacuum fitting at the base of the carb where the PCV line hooks up.

A RMS will never suddenly start leaking, it is a slow degradation starting with a weep, followed by oily residue, and going to an occasional drop of oil every now and then.
Hi, the PCV valve is on top of the engine? that one has been leaking for years on me but very very slowing...1 drop a week or so. I cannot attribute where this continues oil drip(its not drip any more but a flow) is coming from. I will check this today.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.