Oil Flow From Rear Axle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Oil Flow From Rear Axle

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Steinjäger photo contest!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 07-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #1
YJSlave
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Oil Flow From Rear Axle

Driving my Jeep to the trail and the rear axle (Rodeo D44) was puking differental oil all over the jeep behind me driving down the highway. I recently removed the abs sensor out of the top of the pumkin and fabed up a plate which I drilled and tapped and added the factory vent to use as the axle vent tube. Rodeo's come from the factory with a vent coming from the diff cover which I removed and blocked with a small bolt with RTV. What would cause the oil to come out of the vent now on the top of the pumkin? Could this just be from the gears throwing oil and it making it's way up the vent hose?

I also ran a new vent hose under the jeep along the frame and high into the engine compartment with a small filter on it, could this cause the problem? Help

YJSlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2011, 09:44 PM   #2
deathtrap
1993 YJ Wrangler 

No clue on the leak, but can you tell me more about what you had to do to swap in the rodeo d44. I want
to put one in mine.
deathtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 10:27 AM   #3
Noltz
YJ Wrangler 

If the new vent is directly in line with the ring gear, or even close to it, it's entirely possible at high speeds the fling off the carrier/gear is getting thrown and pushed up and out your vent tube.

my suggestion is to pull the cap of the OE vent, cap your ABS cover, and run the vent line in it's original place.
Noltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 10:15 PM   #4
YJSlave
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies. Mounting the axle was easy. The spring mounts basically line up, about a 1/4" wider than the YJ axle so the spings push out ever so slightly with my lift. For the brakes you need to get adaptord for metric to sae or cut the rodeo hard line and reflare with the metric fitting. That's what I did. Lastly if you run a stock driveshaft buy a standard D44 pinion yoke and put it on.buy 6 lug wheels and done. Then buy a waggy front axle and drill the spring pads 1/2" closer and mount that axle for a matching front, plenty of threads on the waggy swap.

As for the mounting to stock location for the vent, that's too easy! I really wanted to get it out of the way and not have to drill and weaken the Solid diff cover I bought to protect the rear gears.
Anyone else?
YJSlave is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.