oil drip - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > oil drip

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 12-22-2006, 08:49 PM   #1
Mike Davis
2008 JK Wrangler 

oil drip

I tried this new thread b4 but it went away. I have a 4 cyl, 5 spd, 1992 YJ w/ 145k mi. i recently cleaned the valve cover (in the dish washer...ouch) replaced the gasket and sealed it with copper high temp silicone sealant. No leaks from there now. The rear main was repl about 5 or 6k ago. i still get a drip or 2 overnight from somewhere. The seal between the tranny and transfer case was recently replaced to stop the dripping of clear redline syn 75w90 gear oil from the tranny. Now I see the engine (black) oil drips in the morning. Any suggestions??? Another rear main??? NOT...I'll just add oil. Oil pan bolts??? Any more obvious suggestions??? Oil leak stop additive??? Synthetic oil??? 15W40 oil??? Mike

Mike Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2006, 09:01 PM   #2
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

A drip or 2? If I could be so lucky! only thing I could suggest is a cheap can of brakeclean. After you park it clean the bottom of the engine with the brakecleen and then check for oil in the morning and see where it's coming from.
Unread 12-22-2006, 10:03 PM   #3
bobbert350

dont change to synthetic.. where is it comming from it could be the timing chain gasket or the oil filter..they are just 2 options
88 jeep wrangler, 4.2, auto---cragar soft 8's, d35 locker, bucket seats with 5 point harnesses, warn bumper w/ grill gaurd, winch plate, kc daylighters, light bar, herc the interrior, rebuilt tranny (yay) with tranny cooler, winch and msd ignition, 3.5 inch fabtech lift, currie boomerang shackles f/r, weber carb...[B]

[B]Why only go anywere fast when you can go anywhere[/B]
bobbert350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2006, 10:11 PM   #4
tuckinauster
2001 XJ Cherokee 

wow only a drop or two must be nice. mine leaks oil from places it didn't even know it had

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. O'rouke
"The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Itís a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."
tuckinauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2006, 10:22 PM   #5
JeepTransformer
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Is it your diff??

brraaap
JeepTransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2006, 07:03 AM   #6
King03Kev
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If you just replaced your valve cover and pan gasket try to retorque to spec. After a couple of times heating and cooling maybe a bolt or two came loose.
kevyj87 '87 I6 5spd, 215,000+ miles, Herced, Nuttered, Weber, HEI, RE 4", 1" BL, 4:11's, np231, 33x12.5's, SYE & shaft, 1" brown dog mm, home made bumpers front & rear, Ramsey 8,000lb winch
King03Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2006, 10:35 AM   #7
Bad_Dog
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbert350
dont change to synthetic.. where is it comming from it could be the timing chain gasket or the oil filter..they are just 2 options
Why do you say, don't change to synth? When I bought mine, the PO had receipts out the wazoo for the Jeep and what all work had been done on it, but none stated what kind of oil he used. I called him up and asked, and he said that he didn't know, just whatever 'the shop' puts in it. Greaaaat.

I put Amsoil in mine back in April, I think. Since then, I've only driven it about 2k miles - Amsoil is good for 7k. I mostly drive it in the winter, hence the small # of miles put on it.

I do have oil drip on mine, but it's coming from in/around the drain plug. I'm suspecting the seal around the oil pan needs replacing. I did see a fair amount of red sealant around where the gasket would be, so I don't know if it was a shotty job done "way back when", or it's just that time... I have probably about four 'drops' drip out after I park it.

When I put the Amsoil in, the oil coming out was extremely dirty, so I had them put in 0W to clean it out and then put in the Amsoil and a new filter.

And BTW, that's a good pic of you and Norton. It's rare that I've seen him smile in a pic. ;-)
Unread 12-24-2006, 10:39 AM   #8
bobbert350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Dog
Why do you say, don't change to synth? When I bought mine, the PO had receipts out the wazoo for the Jeep and what all work had been done on it, but none stated what kind of oil he used. I called him up and asked, and he said that he didn't know, just whatever 'the shop' puts in it. Greaaaat.

And BTW, that's a good pic of you and Norton. It's rare that I've seen him smile in a pic. ;-)

all im gonna say is that im glad you know who jim norton is he is amazing in my book...also the only reason i say dont change to synthetic is that alot of time the synthetic oil will find places to flow threw.....happened on my jeep and my buddies truck ran fun with reg oil but as soon as i but the syn blen in there i had a oil leak that i had to fix....kinda strange id say....but do what u want thats just my 2 cents....
88 jeep wrangler, 4.2, auto---cragar soft 8's, d35 locker, bucket seats with 5 point harnesses, warn bumper w/ grill gaurd, winch plate, kc daylighters, light bar, herc the interrior, rebuilt tranny (yay) with tranny cooler, winch and msd ignition, 3.5 inch fabtech lift, currie boomerang shackles f/r, weber carb...[B]

[B]Why only go anywere fast when you can go anywhere[/B]
bobbert350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.