Oil consumption problem... where to start?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Oil consumption problem... where to start??

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Stainless Steel Exhaust Mani1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Header Panel

Unread 06-11-2006, 11:53 PM   #1
MayorMcCheese

Oil consumption problem... where to start??

So it seems that I have a slight oil consumption problem.

I seem to be averaging about 1 qt. loss per week or so. About 3 weeks ago it was in at the garage and I had them replace the valve cover and gasket because the valve cover was cracked and it appeared to be leaking oil. Fast forward to last week and I notice that the oil pressure has dropped and that my "diesel ticking" had gotten a little louder, checked the oil and sure it enough it was 3 qts. low!!! And I'm not dripping on the driveway anywhere.

So for now it has some 20w-50 in it and my normal ticking is a lot quieter and the engine seems to be running better then ever. I would think that my obvious first step is to check the valve cover gasket out and see that it was replaced correctly, but after that what is next?

If I was burning almost a quart every week, then wouldn't the exhaust be pretty black?

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give as much info as possible to get a good lead on where to start.

TIA

1990 YJ 2.5L
Stock everything... for now.
MayorMcCheese is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2006, 12:26 AM   #2
mp3coupe
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Is the ground underneath the jeep dry now? If yes then your burning it.
How many miles are on it?
Pull the plugs and see if they're black.

What oil on a plug looks like
http://www.classictruckshop.com/club...park/plugs.htm

edit
A quart a week!!! How many miles are you doing a week? Are you pulling high R's?
mp3coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2006, 12:35 AM   #3
MayorMcCheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3coupe
Is the ground underneath the jeep dry now? If yes then your burning it.
How many miles are on it?
Pull the plugs and see if they're black.

What oil on a plug looks like
http://www.classictruckshop.com/club...park/plugs.htm

edit
A quart a week!!! How many miles are you doing a week? Are you pulling high R's?
I probably do an average of about 350-400 miles per week as an estimate, maybe a little less some weeks.

There is definately some oily spots here and there around the engine bay and underneath, but I can't really tell what is new and what is old.

I'm thinking my first step may be to clean everything up really good to see what spots form after that.

1990 YJ 2.5L
Unread 06-12-2006, 03:29 PM   #4
MayorMcCheese

Any other suggestions about how to attack this problem?

It is possible to have an oil leak that does not drip on the ground correct?

1990 YJ 2.5L
Unread 06-12-2006, 04:39 PM   #5
flame0086
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If you're exhaust is blue, then your engine is burning the oil. I just recently had oil leaking from the rear main seal, but I didn't notice it until I had my jeep on the drive way instead of the gravel. It was only a couple of drops, but knowing my jeep it was enough for me to get under there and see if it was something big. A few minutes later I put 3 quarts of oil in it and call up the shop that put in this new engine.
flame0086 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2006, 06:18 PM   #6
MayorMcCheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by flame0086
If you're exhaust is blue, then your engine is burning the oil. I just recently had oil leaking from the rear main seal, but I didn't notice it until I had my jeep on the drive way instead of the gravel. It was only a couple of drops, but knowing my jeep it was enough for me to get under there and see if it was something big. A few minutes later I put 3 quarts of oil in it and call up the shop that put in this new engine.
I'm going to start watching closely, but I remember when my Jetta used to burn oil and my exhaust from the Jeep looks nothing like that.

1990 YJ 2.5L
Unread 06-13-2006, 08:17 AM   #7
vdubstreets
1999 XJ Cherokee 

take engine degreaser, clean your whole motor block and everything, then periodicly check where you see oil build up. im in the same area as you im looking for a leak and i think i found it. to the left of the distributor is where a 'mechancial fuel pump' would be so im going to replace the gasket. its about a quart every month or 2.
vdubstreets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2006, 08:30 AM   #8
I.O.A.MUD

IOm having the same problem with my 1990 2.5...90000 mi. Ive cleane the motor up and can find no noticeable leaks. The exhaust is clear. The pan has a few wet spots but not near enough to account for the oil used. I tooo did a change with 20/50..this has helped some. My neat step is a compression check. any other Ideas?

We dont stop playing because we grow old....we grow old because we stop playing!
I.O.A.MUD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2006, 10:33 AM   #9
MayorMcCheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubstreets
take engine degreaser, clean your whole motor block and everything, then periodicly check where you see oil build up. im in the same area as you im looking for a leak and i think i found it. to the left of the distributor is where a 'mechancial fuel pump' would be so im going to replace the gasket. its about a quart every month or 2.
It's funny that you say that because one of the places that I noticed is a little oily is in that same location.

1990 YJ 2.5L
Unread 06-13-2006, 11:02 AM   #10
vdubstreets
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorMcCheese
It's funny that you say that because one of the places that I noticed is a little oily is in that same location.
if you want i can show you a diagram and give you a part number for hte gasket, it was only a couple bucks offline.
vdubstreets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2006, 12:45 PM   #11
MayorMcCheese

Actually I went out today and did some investigating and I think I found the source of the leak...

Of all things it appears it was a loose oil filter. It was loose enough that I hand tightened it about 1/2 turn and then got probably a full turn out of it with an oil filter wrench.

I fill her up with oil again to the "FULL" mark on the dipstick and I'm going to check it again in a couple days. I'll post back then.

BTW: I was not the one who installed the oil filter. Just so you don't all think I'm a moron.

1990 YJ 2.5L
Unread 06-16-2006, 01:29 PM   #12
MayorMcCheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorMcCheese
Actually I went out today and did some investigating and I think I found the source of the leak...

Of all things it appears it was a loose oil filter. It was loose enough that I hand tightened it about 1/2 turn and then got probably a full turn out of it with an oil filter wrench.

I fill her up with oil again to the "FULL" mark on the dipstick and I'm going to check it again in a couple days. I'll post back then.

BTW: I was not the one who installed the oil filter. Just so you don't all think I'm a moron.
UPDATE: Sadly, it looks as though that was not the problem since I have leaked probably a 1/8 qt. since Tuesday for about 80 miles of driving.

Oh well, next week it goes back to the garage I guess to try and figure out this leak.

1990 YJ 2.5L
Unread 10-23-2013, 10:35 PM   #13
Swampeast2

I think mine is leaking at the valve stem seals, but how can I be sure? I've got an 1987 YJ with a 1990 2.5 L. Is it better money to just rebuild the head?
Swampeast2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.