Oil in air filter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Oil in air filter

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 08-25-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
mjdh_80
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Oil in air filter

Started smelling oil when I start my 93 YJ 4.0L today. When I got home I popped the hood and there is a ton of oil in the air filter. This may have been going on for a while. I have noticed some extra wetness on the bottom side of the jeep, but haven't investigated because there has never been a puddle on the ground and my oil level hasn't been going down much.
What's going on? I haven't ran into this with any other vehicle before.
Thank you,
Matt

Unread 08-25-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It's a very common problem on these. What's happening is the crankcase breather is clogged up or leaking. Jeeps don't use a normal PCV system. Instead they use 2 different-sized vacuum lines from the valve cover. The small line in the front is the one that is supposed to have a vacuum. This is what is supposed to clear the crankcase by pulling fresh air thru the big line on the rear of the valve cover.

I fixed mine by making sure the lines were absolutely clean on the inside and out by soaking in some old gas. I also made sure the holes in the valve cover were clear by blowing thru them. The small line from the front of the valve cover had ends that were made of normal rubber hose instead of plastic. I replaced these hose ends on the plastic line with pieces of fresh vacuum hose from Autozone. It only cost 89 cents a foot.

I put in a fresh air filter after that and its been great ever since.

Oh, and welcome to the club! You just found one of the best jeep sites anywhere!

oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
mjdh_80
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Oh man that's fantastic! Thank you! I have had a lot of vehicle in the past with many different problems. Having never come across this I was freaking out a bit. I will be stopping by autozone tomorrow to pick up some vacuum hose and a new filter. and will be washing out the tubes!
Unread 08-26-2011, 07:53 AM   #4
Doch80
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtime_ironman View Post
It's a very common problem on these. What's happening is the crankcase breather is clogged up or leaking. Jeeps don't use a normal PCV system. Instead they use 2 different-sized vacuum lines from the valve cover. The small line in the front is the one that is supposed to have a vacuum. This is what is supposed to clear the crankcase by pulling fresh air thru the big line on the rear of the valve cover.

I fixed mine by making sure the lines were absolutely clean on the inside and out by soaking in some old gas. I also made sure the holes in the valve cover were clear by blowing thru them. The small line from the front of the valve cover had ends that were made of normal rubber hose instead of plastic. I replaced these hose ends on the plastic line with pieces of fresh vacuum hose from Autozone. It only cost 89 cents a foot.

I put in a fresh air filter after that and its been great ever since.

Oh, and welcome to the club! You just found one of the best jeep sites anywhere!

I really apologize for correcting you, b/c I might be wrong... but on his 93' the big line should be in front (towards the radiator) that comes from the air box and the smaller vacuume line is in the rear (towards the firewall) to the manifold. At least that's how it is on my 95'... though I guess mine could be wrong I guess.

If I'm wrong, I apologize.
Doch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2011, 08:06 AM   #5
mjdh_80
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yes the one going to the air box is the more forward one. Thank you for correcting that. I was probably going to take them both off and give them a good cleaning anyway.
Unread 08-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdh_80 View Post
Yes the one going to the air box is the more forward one. Thank you for correcting that. I was probably going to take them both off and give them a good cleaning anyway.
You are both correct. Both of the lines should be there, and they should act just like I said tho. Mine's a 1991 4-cylinder which has the lines the other way around. My bad. Same concept tho.
Unread 08-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #7
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doch80 View Post
I really apologize for correcting you, b/c I might be wrong... but on his 93' the big line should be in front (towards the radiator) that comes from the air box and the smaller vacuume line is in the rear (towards the firewall) to the manifold. At least that's how it is on my 95'... though I guess mine could be wrong I guess.

If I'm wrong, I apologize.
No you're actually right. Mine's a 1991 4-cyl which has the lines the other way around. They work the same way tho.
Unread 08-26-2011, 04:52 PM   #8
mjdh_80
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys! That was very helpful! And also thank you for the quick responses.
Unread 08-26-2011, 05:27 PM   #9
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks guys! That was very helpful! And also thank you for the quick responses.
Did it work out OK?
Unread 08-27-2011, 10:18 AM   #10
mjdh_80
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'll let ya know at the end of today. It might be the actual part that is on the valve cover. Pcv valves? The seals are bad on both of them.
Unread 08-27-2011, 10:32 AM   #11
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'll let ya know at the end of today. It might be the actual part that is on the valve cover. Pcv valves? The seals are bad on both of them.
Yeah bad seals will do it too. I think you can get them in the "Help" section at Autozone and Advance, among other places. Or just use some gasket goop after you clean them real good.

Unread 08-28-2011, 09:47 AM   #12
mjdh_80
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Couldn't find the seals anywhere, the guy at autozone here was an idiot, napa was closed and I have vowed never to go back to advance since they f'd me over like 3 times in a row. Got some high temp sealant. Will be putting it on today.
Unread 08-28-2011, 09:52 AM   #13
91yjeepin
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I've cleaned out everything in my 4cyl system and I still blow oil into the filter..... Maybe it's just time to put in my v8.
Unread 08-28-2011, 10:23 AM   #14
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Couldn't find the seals anywhere, the guy at autozone here was an idiot, napa was closed and I have vowed never to go back to advance since they f'd me over like 3 times in a row. Got some high temp sealant. Will be putting it on today.
Bummer, NAPA is usually the best for Jeep stuff. Yeah I totally understand about Autozone and Advance - I only go there for stuff that doesn't matter much. Maybe you can go to NAPA some other time when they're open and just use the hi-temp sealant for now.
Unread 08-28-2011, 10:26 AM   #15
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91yjeepin View Post
I've cleaned out everything in my 4cyl system and I still blow oil into the filter..... Maybe it's just time to put in my v8.
Mine did too until I fixed the vacuum leaks. A clean system is nice but it won't work if it leaks.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.