Oil in air cleaner? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Oil in air cleaner?

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-13-2005, 08:10 PM   #1
drtdvl

Oil in air cleaner?

I have noticed oil in my air box, 2.5 1994 yj, does any body know why? Also backfireing thru the throttle body? thanks in advance...

drtdvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2005, 08:12 PM   #2
Wood Butcher

I believe it's 'Blowby'. Blowby is created by, someone correct me if I'm wrong, too much oil pressure.
Wood Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2005, 08:24 PM   #3
snowman43

"blowby" is caused by compression gasses getting past the piston rings and pressurizing the crankcase... basically, worn out cylinders/rings.

Could be a stuck PCV valve if this engine has one, used to have a 4.0L in a Cherokee that would do this all the time, drove it to 180,000 miles and never had an engine failure...
snowman43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2005, 08:43 PM   #4
sasquatch3805

snowman, you are exactly right... if it's the 4.2 then welcome to your new life, if not then you can fix it fairly easily by replacing what snowman said

my jeeps not dirty, that's just natural paint.

89 YJ, Red
4.0 HO bored 40 over
centerforce clutch
4" rusty's YJ lift
panther wheels, 285/75/16 mudds
plus little odd and end mods
sasquatch3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2005, 10:10 AM   #5
Bobbywolf

Mine had this problem all the time (4.2L) and my filter would be soaked in oil after a couple weeks. Now I just take the hose coming from the top of the crankcase, and direct it towards the ground. No more oil in my breather, but maby not the most environementally friendly fix...
Bobbywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2005, 10:38 AM   #6
wolf3902

it's a 2.5L
I had this problem and the valvecover was crudded up with yuch.
Icleaned (blew out) the hose lines and poured a little bit of Sea Foam in the hole the lines goes in. Now more problem. Also the Sea foam got rid of a lot of carbon build-up that came out with the next oil change. Also got me to pass emissions tests in Ohio.

ONE NATION, UNDER G O D
Support It, or Leave It!
wolf3902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2005, 10:43 AM   #7
tcourdin

I had the same problem with my 4.2. It lasted maybe a year or so doing that but the rings were toast!
tcourdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2005, 01:23 PM   #8
Wif
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Butcher
I believe it's 'Blowby'. Blowby is created by, someone correct me if I'm wrong, too much oil pressure.
Actually, wrong .. it's crankcase pressure ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasquatch3805
snowman, you are exactly right... if it's the 4.2 then welcome to your new life, if not then you can fix it fairly easily by replacing what snowman said
Not exactly .. it can be sticky compression rings or sticky oil control rings, could also be worn valve guides.
All engines (even new ones) will suffer from ring blowby to some extent .. that's why engines use some form of PCV or CCV vent system.
Basically, an engine crankcase needs fresh air in and contaminated/exhaust air sucked out .. if this system fails somewhere due to clogged/broken/leaky pipes on the "sucking side" the "clean air in side" will be venting oily air into the airbox.
I would check the pipes .. check the PCV valve and elbows and seals for leaks (for CCV there is no valve) .. check the dipstick is firmly in place (yes air will be drawn in here .. look for a rusty dipstick). Is the valve cover leaking ??
If all is well with the PCV/CCV system then check the cylinder compressions .. this will show if it's leaking back into the crankcase. If they are within limits (and also fairly even across the set) I would doubt anything is wrong here .. but if you have a low one that could be your problem.

So ....
I would make sure the fumes are being sucked back into the inlet manifold.

Check the engine oil .. incorrect or dirty oil will cause the piston rings to stick up. Is it really black .. (sign of carbon getting past rings) .. change it a few times and see if it makes a difference.

Check compressions .. this will show if the engine has compression problems .. either a broken (or sticking) ring, or a scored cylinder, or it's just plain worn out.

For what it's worth .. mine was fuming really badly, leaking out the valve cover. I fixed the PCV stuff and now it's fine . ..
[I]Who's[/I] in front ?

Ridin' topless again .. sweet !!
Wif is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2005, 05:36 PM   #9
NativeTexan

Do a search in forums there are a ton of writeups on this problem and diffrent solutions. I pulled valve cover, repalced valve cover gasket,CCV and PCV valve and slowed it down quite a bit on my Jeep.I also run the hose against firewall and stuffed double the cotton filters in there and it helped quite a bit. No oil leaking all over firewall anymore.
Unread 06-14-2005, 07:16 PM   #10
rlacey

Crankcase Ventilation

You probably don't have a PCV valve on your model. You probably have a clog in the vacuum between the valve cover and the manifold. This is quite common. If the line is clogged or restricted your engine blow by (normal) will have no place to go except out into the air box. Mine was clogged at the manifold (poked the clog out with a screwdriver then blasted it clean with carb cleaner). Check all the components to make sure you have a decent vacuum pulling the blow by out of the valve cover and into the manifold. If you don't which vacuum line I'm talking about, there are 2 coming from the valve cover. One goes to the air box. The other is for valve cover ventilation. Pull it off the valve cover plug and see if it has good suction. If it does, check the plug itself and clean it with carb cleaner if it has a clog.

KC Daylighters
Hi-Lift Jack on the Hood

[url]http://image50.webshots.com/150/7/8/85/2395708850054201645HrsusY_ph.jpg[/url]
rlacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2005, 01:32 PM   #11
danwho
1999 XJ Cherokee 

This may seem stoopid...but why does the hose have to go back to the air box? If it's clean it can go anywhere right? If it's dirty (oily) air and/ or the hose is clogged, then it emptys into the airbox which gets the filter oily. Is it just for the environment, or is there a mechanical reason? In other words, can you just put a small piece of hose off the elbow and direct it down and plug/cover the inlet hole on the air box with no decrease in engine performance?

92 YJ 4banger, white
3" shackle lift, 31x10.5 BFG AT's on American Racing Outlaw II's
SmittyBilt custom bumpers/ hitch & bars, DynoMax Cat & Muffler
Bestop full, bikini, safari, InstaTrunk
K&N filter, Tuffy Security console, Herculined
TBS sitting on my workbench waiting....
danwho is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.