oil in the air box - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > oil in the air box

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 09-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
cf7710
1994 YJ Wrangler 

oil in the air box

My buddy just brought over his 95 YJ, when he pulled up I noticed oil dripping out. We opened the hood and found it coming out around the air filter box. When we started it up the pressure guage buried above 80. Im kind of stumped . Any body have an Idea of where to start. Thanks in advance for the help.

Unread 09-02-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
cf7710
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Nevermind I think I found a fix. Sorry for wasting your time if you clicked on this, but not sure I can delete threads.
Unread 09-02-2012, 01:38 PM   #3
Jeepsr4me

Well since you did post, why not say what you found. I am just on pins and needles waiting to hear.........
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
zomblake
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm interested in your fix also. I had a little bit of oil on my air filter too. Also a 95. I noticed after an engine backfire and chalked it up to that, but still interested in the answer.
zomblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 06:59 AM   #5
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Cleaning the hoses and the valve ontop of the valve cover (PCV or CCV can't remember which one YJs have). The one closest to the firewall needs to be cleaned with brake cleaner and a paperclip as it gets clogged and causes the crank case pressure to exit out the airbox tube.

This fixed the oil in the airbox problem for me anyway and many people I know. If the problem persists after cleaning the vents then you have a worn motor with severe blowby. Some people make a threaded catch can to run the vents into instead of the airbox. Oil collects in the can instead of your air filter. It would take forever to fill up the can but it doesn't take much to gum up an air filter.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.