Oh, new to me jeep. Why do you hate me? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Oh, new to me jeep. Why do you hate me?

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can

Unread 03-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
JeepingJustin
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Oh, new to me jeep. Why do you hate me?

Ok, so I bought this 1990 Yj jeep wrangler. Seemed like a good buy so I decided I'd go out an buy it. Like an idiot I bought it knowing it had some "issues". Get it home an try working out the bugs an this p.o.s. wont idle for anything. First off it has a weber carb that I have no idea to tune. (any help there would be great). Vaccum leaks everywhere. Which I think I finally got fixed. But it still wont idle? Im going to do the nutter bypass soon when work permits. But I have some bone head questions about that too.

With the nutter bypass when you cut the ignition control module an splice in wires, its before the module? An from the splice I go to my dizzy splice after the plug? I hope this will help cure some of the non idle issues I'm having an get me closer to having a running jeep. Im not use to these inline 6 motors. I'm use to bare bones chevy 4x4 setups.

Any help on the carb an nutter bypass explaination would be great.

JeepingJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/p...bypass-476720/

If you have the weber you already should have the nutter done. It bypasses the elctronic controls on the stock carb. You need to setup the distributor for 8 btdc. and tune from there. Setting up the carb is something I am totally unfamilar with.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 05:49 AM   #3
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

BTW, it may just be your terminology but you DON'T bypass the ignition module, you bypass the computer. The module is essential (unless you replace it with an after market setup).

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
SLCSmoker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like me 6 months ago. I was all happy I knocked the sale price down a grand (it had 'issues' too).. Course I've spent wayy more than that now but hey, its a Jeep lol. I just bit the bullet and went Howell in the end, best thing I've done so far.
SLCSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 09:36 AM   #5
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I drove the Carter for nearly 6 years, got tired of waiting for it to die and justify the upgrade, so I did the Howell also. Had a couple of issues but it runs much better.

After I put the Howell on, I developed a main seal leak, and after looking at the worn timing chain an rather worn bearings, I spent the rest of my money on a new engine.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
Unread 04-06-2013, 02:25 AM   #6
JeepingJustin
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well still no luck on this thing running on its own power. I've done the nutter bypass, fixing all the vacuum hose leaks, put on a fuel regulator. But still this gosh darn thing don't wanna stay running. So if anybody wants to trade a mc2100 or mc2150 for a weber let me know. I just has lost my patients with that carb. I've set it back to stock settings and still no luck.
Unread 04-06-2013, 06:09 AM   #7
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Problem is probably in the carb. There is nothing really mysterious about carbs, actually since you can actually SEE everything that is happening in the carb, the problem is just about always visible in teardown. My guess is you have a clogged jet or vent passage.

It is intriguing (though understandable) that people now view carbs with such trepidation. I grew up in an era where that's pretty much all there was and it was one of the first things you learned.

Don't tear it apart willy-nilly, do some internet searching to find instructions, get a rebuild kit (though a lot of issues can be fixed even without the kit) and go ahead and do the job. It's not hard.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
Unread 04-06-2013, 07:26 AM   #8
SLCSmoker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Agree with the previous post. I grew up with carbs too and once they're clean, rebuilt and set up correctly they usually run great. Course there was no emissions to pass though in those days. You may want to check your ignition timing and compression too. Even the best set up carb cant make an engine run if the timing is off or the cylinders are shot.
Unread 04-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #9
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Have a buddy help you with this: Have him/her turn over the engine while you cover the inlet of the carb with your paw making sure it's sealed. Do this a few times. It might flood it out, but it can pull some of the crap out of blocked passages until you get a chance to go through it.
Unread 04-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #10
g33kdrummer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Enjoy it man.. that's kinda the whole fun about having a Jeep.. you learn, you play, you break it, you fix it , you play some more!
g33kdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #11
SLCSmoker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You forgot - "You spend lots and lots of $$ on it".
Unread 04-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #12
bigsquat
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCSmoker View Post
Agree with the previous post. I grew up with carbs too and once they're clean, rebuilt and set up correctly they usually run great. Course there was no emissions to pass though in those days. You may want to check your ignition timing and compression too. Even the best set up carb cant make an engine run if the timing is off or the cylinders are shot.
ditto on this.
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says 'Dam!'
bigsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 01:04 AM   #13
JeepingJustin
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by g33kdrummer View Post
Enjoy it man.. that's kinda the whole fun about having a Jeep.. you learn, you play, you break it, you fix it , you play some more!
Yup its a jeep thing!

Ive checked timing an compression, cause I thought that might be the issue but both of those checked out good. I'm thinking Ive got a vacuum leak on those spacers for the weber setup. An I've tried tightening the studs an added lock washers but it still hasn't helped at all. Must be warped or cracked?? So I'm going to do a motorcraft/holley carb swap. Found some on ebay super cheap that need rebuilt. But I'll check the local scrap yards first so I dont have to pay shipping an I can see it before I buy it.

So I need a 2100 or 2150. With 1.08. there seems to be alot more 1.21 an even 1.14. Will the 1.21 an 1.14 work without flooding it?
Thanks for your input guys an I'll let ya know how it comes togather.
Unread 04-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #14
Renegad87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have the Weber on mine and it is a pain in the A$$ to tune. What model Weber is it? If you plan on trying to tune it again I can give you some advise. If your going the motorcraft route let us know how it goes.
Renegad87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #15
jmet87yj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry didn't see this thread earlier..an i need help..i ha
ve 87 yj 2.5 that loads up an spits an spudder an dies while idling can someone tell me what cause this an how to fix it..thanks..
jmet87yj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.