Offset rims (Backspacing) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Offset rims (Backspacing)

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-20-2014, 11:40 AM   #1
digizure
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Offset rims (Backspacing)

Hey guys, my YJ is currently SOA and I feel that I really have a high center of gravity. I can remove a leaf spring but I'm afraid that it'd make it bouncier. My Jeep is also a daily driver and I noticed that my tires sticks out maybe an inch or two so the Jeep looks really "narrow."

I'm thinking about getting offset rims (backspacing) but I wonder if it would cause a lot of stress on the u joints? I'm running 35s. What are your thoughts?

I also thought about wheel spacers but I feel that the more parts I have, the more parts likely to break.

Thanks.

digizure is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 12:15 PM   #2
kingcat400
1993 YJ Wrangler 

going off your profile you have 4" springs. if you are soa on 35's i would look into some shorter springs.
kingcat400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 12:20 PM   #3
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

going wider by way of spacers or reducing backspace can add more stress to the hub/bearings. that being said it gets done all the time. what backspace do you have now?
Unread 01-20-2014, 12:22 PM   #4
digizure
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ah, I just updated my profile.
Unread 01-20-2014, 12:22 PM   #5
digizure
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You know, I'm not sure what backspace I have now. They're one of those stock $45 Cragar rims. I'll have to check.
Unread 01-20-2014, 02:30 PM   #6
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't change the alcan springs around.
Unread 01-20-2014, 03:28 PM   #7
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

SOA on 2" springs isn't the best idea for a DD, that's the real mistake. If you're really worried about high CG, swap out the 2" jobs for stock YJ springs (flat). Just be sure you have an anti-wrap bar, which you should have on a SOA setup anyway. Wheels have a snowballs chance in Phoenix of noticeably helping.
Unread 01-20-2014, 05:12 PM   #8
digizure
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I do have a traction bar. You're right, 2" does feel too high... I went with someone's recommendation and regret it. The Alcans were pretty costly so I'm trying to figure out what is the best thing to do at this point.
Unread 01-20-2014, 08:24 PM   #9
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Any shackle or BL? You can try reducing those if you do.
You can also cut off your spring hangers and either shorten them up or buy some 63 hangers from RuffStuff and french them into the frame. That'll drop you about 2"-2.5" by all accounts. Lots of work though.

A set of new wheels shouldn't cost you more than $250, but honestly it won't make much of a difference adding an inch or two to your stance. If your tires don't rub at full steering lock right now, then I wouldn't waste the money.

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 08:31 PM   #10
digizure
1993 YJ Wrangler 

My tires do rub the frame if I turn the wheel all the way. I do have one inch body lift as well as motor lift. I don't want to remove the BL because if I do that then I'll have to remove my Brown Dog mounts.
Unread 01-20-2014, 08:38 PM   #11
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by digizure View Post
The Alcans were pretty costly so I'm trying to figure out what is the best thing to do at this point.
The answer to 'the best thing' doesn't involve your wallet. The trade-offs do. I still say pull the springs, sell them on craigs or something. It's likely not the first or last time you've poorly spent money and had to spend more to fix. I stopped counting the times I've done that 50 years ago.
Unread 01-20-2014, 09:16 PM   #12
digizure
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I think I'm gonna agree with Don here. For the amount of work and money, I'm probably better off selling the Alcan springs to someone who wants 2" lift and get either flat or 1" springs and be done with it. I think I still need to replace the wheels anyway because of the tire rub.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.