The Official "Super-Breather Mod" Thread! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > The Official "Super-Breather Mod" Thread!

Rubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at Oco

Unread 05-20-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The Official "Super-Breather Mod" Thread!

Some of us enjoy trail riding and are sometimes forced to travel through mud, wet trails, and sometimes even water crossings. After going through a few puddles on the trails down here in the south, I realized that I was getting moisture in places that it didn't belong. Sometimes, even filling my whole gearboxes with it.

Well, I went ahead and developed a snorkel to fix the intake issue, but what about all of the breathers? For those who don't know, there are breathers on the D30, D35, NP231, AX5/15, Distributor, and gas tank. Now that's a lot of stuff that you really don't want water to get into folks! Not to mention, most of these breathers are not ran very high from the factory making one wrong turn into a mud/water hole game over for your Jeep.

So, I started searching for what I would need to connect all of these breathers into one main line, and to put the end of it up on the firewall out of harm's way.

For the project, I purchased: (From Advance and Autozone)
-17ft of hose ($17ish)
-A breather cap ($10)
-"T" and "Y" Hose Connectors.(Found in the garage, total cost probably less than$10)

I started with the breather on the Dana 35 rear axle. The factory breather comes out where the brake line distribution box is mounted on the driver's side axle tube. The factory breather hose is run behind the rear driver's side wheel well.

Plug the new hose into the breather port.

Run the hose up and through the soft brake line bracket that's connected to the driver's side frame rail and run it on top of the fuel hard lines. (Make sure that you leave slack in the line for axle travel!)

Now, I had emasured the line length our with string beforehand, so I now moved to the front axle.

-Pull the old breather hose out of the pumpkin of the Dana 30 front axle.
-Pull the plastic piece that slides into the pumpkin out and clean it, then used RTV to seal it in place when pushing it back in and connecting the new breather hose.

-Make sure that there is slack in the line for travel just like in the rear, and run the line to the driver's side frame rail to connect it where you choose. (I used a hard brakeline)

-Run the line down the frame rail along the hard fuel/brake lines until you meet up with your rear axle breather line just behind the transfer case.

-Use a "T" connector and connect these two lines together where you deem fit.

-Grab another segment of hose, and run it from the "T" connector over towards the top of the transfer case where it's breather is located.
(For those that don't know, this is where the NP231's breather is located, note the cut hose breather)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.

Last edited by YJake; 05-20-2010 at 05:14 PM..
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

-Now, cut a new piece of hose segment and plug it into the NP231's breather to the right of the shift linkage.

-Use a "Y" hose connector and connect the AXLE and T-CASE hoses into the V segment.
-Cut a new hose segment and conenct it to the open port of the "Y" connector, heading towards the Firewall.

-Run the breather hose (Where the old one went) with your 4WD vac./Light hoses up towards the Firewall (I have no vac line, only a light switch wire since the 1-piece coversion)

-You can now cut your breather hose wherever you have decided to mount the hose breather on the Firewall.

I mounted mine to the battery tray bracket, if I'm ever deep enough to get water here, I've got more important issues to worry about!

But Wait! What about the Gas tank and Tranny?

Jake

Quote:
Quote:
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.

Last edited by YJake; 05-20-2010 at 04:59 PM..
Unread 05-20-2010, 04:08 PM   #3
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well I'm glad you asked!

The gas tank on my YJ is already hooked up to a breather that leads to teh charcoal canister. However, my freinds 1992 YJ had a line going to the canister AND a breather hose leading behind the gas tank filler cap.

This is the skinny hard line that runs along the driver's side frame rail responsible for connecting the gas tank to the charcoal canister.

I did not feel it neccessary to run another line since the factory already had this solved on my YJ. But since my freinds 1992 YJ had a second breather, I would check first to make sure on your YJ!

Now what about the Transmission? AX5 and AX15?

Well, some AX5's and 15's came from the factory with a "small breather" hole on the shift tower plate. Meanwhile others are forced to breath through the rubber shift boot. Not a very good method of sealing out water!

Factory breather hole.

No factory breather hole.

Shift boot, All models. Make sure yours is in perfect shape and sealing well! (Mine needs replaced as seen in the picture)

So what's a guy with no factory breather to do? Well, for the rest of us it's time to pull of the drill and tap kit!

You can then use a "Y" connector to connect the breather hose from the AX5/15 to the main line comming from the T-Case.

For the Distributor...

To seal the Distributor, I simply took off the vent cap that it came with and plugged a hose in on top of it with a zip-tie to hold it in place.

To seal where that cap mates to the distributor, I used "Gorilla Snot" or 3M Weather strip adhesive. I use this stuff to seal things from weather strips to valve cover gaskets to distributor caps. It is very nasty and works well.

To ensure that water didn't affect the electric current to the spark plugs from the cap, I simply coated the connections with dielectric grease. Some people use WD-40 because it is a water displacer, but I use the grease on all electrical conenctions under the hood.

Jake

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by YJake; 06-23-2010 at 02:55 PM..
Unread 05-20-2010, 04:32 PM   #4
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well that's all of it for now folks!

I hope that some of you can use this, I had lots of folks on here PM me for details and request a write-up so here she is. I may make changes and add more lines later on in the future, I'll update this thread if I do.

If anybody needs me to take a picture of something feel free to ask in the thread or by PM, I have more pictures that I didn't add to this write-up.

Jake

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 05-20-2010, 05:22 PM   #5
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

very nice, i gave ya 2 thumbs up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 05:40 PM   #6
Bigboyky
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So what about condinsation in the breather line? The way you have this ran it has to have low spots where moisture can build up and freeze what about that?
1995 4.0l, 5spd., 4:88's, ARB's F/R, 4"RC lift, homebrew bumpers & tire carrier, homebrew gas tank skid, lined inside, Cobra cb, smitty winch, 130w & 55w Hella lights

Envy our past, Fear our future Go Cats!

Take a look at our club
www.torcoffroad.com & here on JF
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f163/brand-new-ky-offroad-club-678937/
Bigboyky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 05:46 PM   #7
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigboyky View Post
So what about condinsation in the breather line? The way you have this ran it has to have low spots where moisture can build up and freeze what about that?
In Florida?

To be honest, the stock breathers were almost completely vertical allowing ANY condensation to just drop right into your gear box/axle. This design adds many more feet worth of hose, most of which is horizontal and not vertical, and I believe that it would slow any such occurence.

Unless I'm missing something, you're referring to temperature related condensation correct? I don't see water entering the breather, or much moisture getting into the breather tubing from the breather. The horizontal spots could in theory collect water if it were to enter the breather, but I don't see that much forming from the air.

Jake

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 05-20-2010, 06:18 PM   #8
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Great job on the write up. I'm actually giving you 2 thumbs up.

Thanks
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 07:49 PM   #9
skeeterbeater
1995 YJ Wrangler 

what was the size on that hose?
Unread 05-20-2010, 08:14 PM   #10
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Great write up but you forgot about the distributer!
Unread 05-20-2010, 08:26 PM   #11
skeeterbeater
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i used a little RTV to seal mine. idk how well it worked haven't gotten brave enough yet. but its better than the old cracked one i had on there
Unread 05-20-2010, 08:52 PM   #12
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeterbeater View Post
what was the size on that hose?
To be honest, I looked on the hose itself and there were no measurements just some kind of barcoad and cerial number stamped on it. I brough the connectors with me and just picked the hose that fit them very snug, it seems to be the same size as the hose used on the stock breather hoses if that helps any.

Oh, and I too used RTV but only on the axle breathers as of now. I may do all of the connectors in rtv, but I'm not sure it's really neccessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
Great write up but you forgot about the distributer!
Ahhh! So I did!

I currently have the distributor sealed and a breather going to my firewall but not tied into the super breather, I may add it to the line or leave it be, not sure as of yet. I'll take pictures tomorrow to explain what I did.

Jake

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-22-2010, 06:30 PM   #13
Shamrock84
1988 YJ Wrangler 

nice dude! i extended all of mine but never thought of running all into one, good idea
Shamrock84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2010, 07:47 AM   #14
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I am also giving you Two Thumbs Up! Great Work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
-------------------------------
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2010, 08:22 AM   #15
Roadyy

1994 YJ Wrangler 

you get 2 thumbs up from me too. Great write up.
Roadyy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.