The Official Ammo Can Console Thread! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > The Official Ammo Can Console Thread!

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-15-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The Official Ammo Can Console Thread!

I figured it was about time that somebody made a thread about this popular mod for reference and to be added to the FAQ some day.

There are many different threads but they were never able to answer all of my questions regarding how the cans were mounted and how those brackets were made when I put my can in. So, I'll try to be as specific as possible in this thread and even make a list of links to the write-ups others have done before me.

Write-ups
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/a...olders-827673/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/am...torage-741234/ (In a TJ but same basic concept)

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...onsole-642752/ (Not a write up, but good pics for ideas on both pages)

Here's how I did mine.

Materials:
-20mm ammo can ($25)
-Flat olive drab paint ($5)
-6 bolts/washers/lock nuts (Free)
-Scrap angle iron (Free)

To save me some trouble I welded the back latch to the can on the top and sides of the latch. That way I woulden't need to put a lock on both sides. You'll also want to take a grinder to the back "lip" of the can so that the lid will open more when the back latch is welded in place. Try to fully open the lid on your can with one latch still on and you'll see why this is neccessary.

I welded up the frame for the rear of the can to sit on. Because the seats are offset in the YJ the can isen't centered in the direct center of the transmission hump, but rather a couple inches to the passenger side of the Jeep. That means that the bracket would also have to have two different sized legs because of the way the passenger floorboard is shaped (has that mini hump in the center).

I used some 1" angle iron. One peice across the back to bolt the can to, two legs, and I cut some square pieces to be used to bolt to the tub of the Jeep. I then painted it olive drab to match the can.

I drilled holes in the center of the bottoms of the bracket's legs. Then I marked the holes where I wanted to drill the holes in the tub and drilled away.

The more you drill holes and cut away at the body, the easier it gets!

I then bolted the bracket to the body using my bolts, washers, and lock nuts like so. (It helps if you have a friend to help by holding a wrench on top or going under, I didn't at the time so I had to rig it all up )

I then drilled two holes to connect the can to the frame. I just put one mark in each corner and drilled away. Then I added bolts, washers, and lock nuts.

Inside

Outside (Note how the can fits right in the angle iron's angle.)

The can is now secured in the rear but not the front. Time to drill some more holes! I put two more holes in the front and spaced the out some for stability. It moved a little side to side with just one but was rock solid with two, so I stopped with two. Held down with bolts, washers, and lock nuts.

Here's a view of the underside of the Jeep. It would be hard to steal this thing by unbolting it due to the locations of the exposed bolts. Trying to pry it off of the body would also be dificult.

Here's how it sits now. (Minus lock)

Safety
I had always wanted a console ever since I got the Jeep in May 2008. Having all of my stuff blowing around when the roof and doors off sucked, having a small plastic glovebox as my only source of lockable storage was even worse. So to me this project was a real success. I can store TONS of junk in that ammo can.

The can is fairly safe since the bolts are hard to get to, the back latch is welded to the can, and there is lock on the front. There are ways to get around it of course, nothing is completely secure, but if it will help keep honest people honest and secure my stuff that's all I wanted. Plus having an arm rest now on long trips is amazing!

If anybody has any specific questions or other threads they'd like me to add just say so

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.

Last edited by YJake; 10-15-2009 at 09:21 PM..
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2009, 06:46 PM   #2
Alvy
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nice write up and before I read your last paragraph I was going to comment on the "arm rest" feature of it. Very cool. Most of our OE center consoles have worn out/broken lids, I've always liked the ammo can idea. Also good to see it came from a fellow central Floridian too!!!
1993 YJ, AX15, 4.0L, 8.8 LSD w/3.73's, Lock-rite locker in front, S.O.A. JB4x4 high steer bracket, BrandonYJ 1" Booms, Rugged Ridge SS S.Y.E. XJ drive shaft, 35x12.50 BFG KM2's, Chevy Cavy seats, woods camo paint, 200,000 miles and still goin strong!
1993 Cherokee Country AW4,4.0L, 3.55's, 4" blocks in back, 4" TJ springs front, 31x10.50 BFG A/T, Ford Red paint, recently finished with 4wd conversion
Alvy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2009, 06:59 PM   #3
china-clipper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Great write up! I was pondering the same idea but I was going to cut a drain hole in the floor of the jeep, weld a nipple for a hose to the ammo can and add ice chest capability to the console. That way I could keep some "frostys" chillin' and the melting ice would drain out below the jeep onto the road. Just an idea. Your console came out great; I'm now in search of an ammo can of my own.

Last edited by china-clipper; 10-15-2009 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: misspelled words
china-clipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2009, 07:26 PM   #4
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvy View Post
Also good to see it came from a fellow central Floridian too!!!
I can't take complete credit for the ammo can console since it has been around for awhile. I did however design that rear bracket, for what it's worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by china-clipper View Post
Great write up! I was pondering the same idea but I was going to cut a drain hole in the floor of the jeep, weld a nipple for a hose to the ammo can and add ice chest capability to the console. That way I could keep some "frostys" chillin' and the melting ice would drain out below the jeep onto the road. Just an idea. Your console came out great; I'm now in search of an ammo can of my own.
Funny story. The first thing the lady friend said after seeing the console was "oh man we could turn that into a cooler!" I like the idea really, if I could find a liner to go inside of it it would be perfect!

Quote:
Quote:
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
Unread 10-15-2009, 07:35 PM   #5
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

It really is a top-notch job!

I got to see it in person this past weekend, and he really did a nice job on it.

I have a factory center console in my '91, but it's seen better days & doesn't hold a lot. This may be in the works for me in the future, partly for the storage & security, and partly for the novelty of having a Jeep with a ammo can in it!

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2009, 07:54 PM   #6
for-play
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Holy Beverage cans Batman!!
I can't believe my beer cooler/holder console made someones tech. All of those threads show some neat fab and ways around the different size constraints. Great idea to put them in one. Stand by for the lock box I got brewing!!!!!
for-play is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2009, 08:20 PM   #7
Mazdarx
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvy View Post
Nice write up and before I read your last paragraph I was going to comment on the "arm rest" feature of it. Very cool. Most of our OE center consoles have worn out/broken lids, I've always liked the ammo can idea. Also good to see it came from a fellow central Floridian too!!!
As for the broken lid of the factory console, I was able to use a lid from a cherokee console, it fits fairly well to the console, and is a little larger than the original, but it doesn't latch.

91 Yj Renegade, lifted, built 4.0L, 33's etc
Mazdarx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2009, 08:25 PM   #8
MYYJ93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nice, I'm gonna do this asap.
93 YJ 4" RC Lift, 1 1/4" RC Lift Shackles, 33" Mud Rovers, 15x10 Rock Crawlers, Dynomax Performce Exhaust, Smittybilt XRC8 Winch, Smittybilt SRC Rocker Guards, Hi Lift, HD 1 Ton Steer, 136 Amp Alterntor, Old School Uniden With 102" Stainless Whip, And Much More To Come.
05 Polaris Trail Boss
MYYJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2009, 10:59 PM   #9
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
It really is a top-notch job!

I got to see it in person this past weekend, and he really did a nice job on it.

I have a factory center console in my '91, but it's seen better days & doesn't hold a lot. This may be in the works for me in the future, partly for the storage & security, and partly for the novelty of having a Jeep with a ammo can in it!

Max
Thanks max

You can do the console right before we paint the Jeeps OD Green

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 10-15-2009, 11:01 PM   #10
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosinMe View Post
Thanks max

You can do the console right before we paint the Jeeps OD Green
Welcome!

And then we'll rebuild the AX-15 while the paint dries, right?

Max

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Unread 10-15-2009, 11:05 PM   #11
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
Welcome!

And then we'll rebuild the AX-15 while the paint dries, right?

Max
Now you're thinkin'!

Started saving for all that already

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 10-15-2009, 11:17 PM   #12
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosinMe View Post
Now you're thinkin'!

Started saving for all that already
If we do it quick enough, we can swap out my fuel pump in my '91, it started buzzing really loud right at the end of this weekend's trip!

JK, I'll probably have to do that in the next week or so. Hmm, I'm thinking "write-up with pics!"

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 10-15-2009, 11:39 PM   #13
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Here's mine. The idea is to lock it in place but be able to take in and out without a lot of effort. Originally I had planned to use this idea for fender well mounts but never did it.

Rear of box

front

mock up of smaller boxes

If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2009, 06:23 AM   #14
china-clipper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm still looking for a 20mm ammo can; can't seem to find one around here. eBay wants too much once you add shipping. Guess I'll keep looking though; I'm tired of carrying my GPS, cell phone, and camera everywhere once I park the jeep.
china-clipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2009, 06:31 AM   #15
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Added to the FAQ under the "interior" section

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.