JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Odd issue, no blinkers or back up lights - blowing fuzes. (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/odd-issue-no-blinkers-back-up-lights-blowing-fuzes-1547284/)

Richmond88yj 07-10-2013 09:26 AM

Odd issue, no blinkers or back up lights - blowing fuzes.

Hi guys/gals.

Flipping an 89YJ and almost done, but this has me stumped.

Ignition was replaced with a GM one by PO, steering column the same.

Symptom, No blinkers or back up lights. Blowing blinker fuze.

Odd thing is when you depress the brake for brake lights, front/back and fender signal lights come on.

When I replace the fuze, I can get the blinkers to work for maybe 2 seconds and the fuze blows.

I've chased everything I can think of for a short and cannot find one. I'm hoping it's not the column blinker switch as replacing that is something I've never done and don't want to make it worse.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

87TPIYJ 07-10-2013 09:55 AM

i do know that when my hazards are on the turn signal indicators will stay on when I press the brakes. Maybe the hazard switch is grounding out?

Richmond88yj 07-10-2013 11:06 AM

Thanks, not sure, can't find it.

One other note...

Replaced flasher and also swapped with the hazards, flasher is good. Some kind of short with brakes, just can't find it.

Richmond88yj 07-10-2013 12:57 PM

Bumptity bump.

All ideas welcome. I've searched all blinker threads and am still coming up with blown fuzes.

Thanks folks!

87TPIYJ 07-10-2013 07:22 PM

Best bet is to trace the brake light wire from the switch all the way to the light. You will most certainly find your short.

Richmond88yj 07-11-2013 10:50 AM

From light to where? brake light switch or fuze panel?

Thanks,

87TPIYJ 07-11-2013 11:10 AM

Light to fuse panel, then fuse panel to switch.

SunDevilJeeper 07-11-2013 02:27 PM

I have the same problem, my front turn signals turn on with the brake lights. You can tell if I'm braking from the front too. :laugh:

remmons 07-11-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richmond88yj (Post 15661694)
Hi guys/gals.

Ignition was replaced with a GM one by PO, steering column the same.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Before going any further, I would check the wiring diagram of your Jeep's steering column and compare that to what the donor column had came out of, (if you can find out what it had came out of.) I am thinking that they both have the same plugs but the terminals are inserted differently. I am willing to bet that there is a difference on wiring betweek the two. Hey, it's just a thought.

Richmond88yj 07-12-2013 07:38 AM

Column is the same, just the ignition switch was replaced.

Still trying to find the short. The diagrams only have a few places where the brake circuits and blinker circuits are close. Unfortunately one is in the Blinker switch assy which I really don't want to mess with as I'll prolly hose it up worse than it is now.

Randonexplosion 07-12-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunDevilJeeper (Post 15666614)
I have the same problem, my front turn signals turn on with the brake lights. You can tell if I'm braking from the front too. :laugh:

I had the same issue. It started when I accidentally pushed my hazzard button (that was broken) and it got stuck On in the steering column, so I just pulled the hazzard flasher. Then when I hit the brakes, my front signals illuminated :laugh: I was going to replace the turn signal switch in the column anyway, but when I did that seemed to fix it. $12 from Napa, a few hours and a few cusswords later it worked fine.

:cheers2:

remmons 07-12-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richmond88yj (Post 15668757)
Column is the same, just the ignition switch was replaced.

Still trying to find the short. The diagrams only have a few places where the brake circuits and blinker circuits are close. Unfortunately one is in the Blinker switch assy which I really don't want to mess with as I'll prolly hose it up worse than it is now.

Sorry, my mistake. I misunderstood it as that the ignition was replaced along with the steering column.

Replacing an ignition switch shouldn't affect the wiring circuits. But then again, no one truly knows what the POS had done when he replaced the ign. switch. This is one of those fixes that requires a visual inspection from someone who is familiar with the GM stering columns. I wish you the best of luck.

The time now is 04:11 PM.