Odd circuit board in black case next to battery. What does it do? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Odd circuit board in black case next to battery. What does it do?

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 09-04-2008, 06:46 AM   #1
spshultz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Odd circuit board in black case next to battery. What does it do?

This has been bugging me because I can't find any info on it in my Haynes manual but what in the world does that long PCB (printed circuit board) in the black plastic case next to the battery, relays and passenger side fender do? It's stuffed back in the corner under the test point connections and the relays on the passenger side next to the firewall. It was just dangling there and flopping around smacking the firewall. Is it for the intermittent wipers or maybe the A/C or ignition?

Thanks!
Shawn

spshultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2008, 06:55 AM   #2
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

By all means, post a pic of that. I have never heard of such a creature in the pre FI YJ's.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2008, 07:04 AM   #3
NEVER-ENOUGH
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Aftermarket alarm???? I'd like to see it too.
NEVER-ENOUGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2008, 08:06 AM   #4
Felonious_monk
1988 YJ Wrangler 

It is the diode/fuse assembly......I have no idea what it does either....but that is what it is.

I have an 88 4.2L it is shown on the wiring diagram on page 6-26 of my chilton manual.
Felonious_monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2008, 08:12 AM   #5
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious_monk View Post
It is the diode/fuse assembly......I have no idea what it does either....but that is what it is.

I have an 88 4.2L it is shown on the wiring diagram on page 6-26 of my chilton manual.
It also calls for one on my 89...... Not there. Do you have a picture of it???

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Unread 09-04-2008, 09:10 AM   #6
fyrdriver
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Does it connect to the throttle linkage? Mines a 95 and thats were the cruise control is mounted.
fyrdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2008, 09:21 AM   #7
spshultz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Unfortunately my wife has the camera so I can't take a pic now. I'll have to do that later tonight.
But yeah, there's definitely a diode on it.
The wires disappear into the loom and I really don't want to crack that loom open to trace them.

What is section 6-26 called in the Chilton's? Maybe I can cross reference that in my Haynes. Is it part of the charging circuit or cruise or lights or etc?
Unread 09-04-2008, 05:38 PM   #8
Felonious_monk
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spshultz View Post
Unfortunately my wife has the camera so I can't take a pic now. I'll have to do that later tonight.
But yeah, there's definitely a diode on it.
The wires disappear into the loom and I really don't want to crack that loom open to trace them.

What is section 6-26 called in the Chilton's? Maybe I can cross reference that in my Haynes. Is it part of the charging circuit or cruise or lights or etc?
It black right? With a circuit board inside of it.....there are about 5-6 wires running into it with nothing coming back out

Its in the electrical diagrams section. Under 1988 4.2L engine wiring.

I only know what it is becuase I stubled upon it when rewiring the engine bay. I still dont know what it does. I did cut the wires that I didnt need that were running to it. I left one or two still connected though.....one was for the rear defroster, and I can't remember what the other is for.

Good Luck
Felonious_monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2008, 08:25 AM   #9
spshultz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

OK. I hope I can get these pics to display correctly.
Here's an outside shot of the little black case/box and then a somewhat blurry inside pic.
Like Felonious said, there are about 5 or 6 wires coming out of it.
I definitely see orange, black, pink? and purple? or violet? and one other color.

Last edited by spshultz; 09-05-2008 at 08:35 AM..
Unread 09-05-2008, 08:53 AM   #10
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

I did some digging around and found that box tied up back near the brake booster. When I undid the zip tie, it reaches all the way over to where your pic shows.

I did a quick test and that box is in fact what I said it wasn't earlier. It has the controller for the rear defroster etc.

Unread 03-26-2009, 11:54 AM   #11
Mr-Rock
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hi, I'm new to the Forum so I hope this is where I should ask this question.

What are the two relays for next to this black thing?
Mr-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2009, 12:08 PM   #12
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

One is for the electric choke. I can't remember what the other is for. I was gonna ask the question about the black diode box, now I know. I just left that stuff alone. The 2 plugs on the top are diagnostic's on the pulse air system.
Unread 03-26-2009, 12:18 PM   #13
buckshot500
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
I did some digging around and found that box tied up back near the brake booster. When I undid the zip tie, it reaches all the way over to where your pic shows.

I did a quick test and that box is in fact what I said it wasn't earlier. It has the controller for the rear defroster etc.
I think there is some crap in there for the sol-vac idle kicker chumpy too.
I accidentally chopped mine out with the emissions wiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Rock View Post
Hi, I'm new to the Forum so I hope this is where I should ask this question.

What are the two relays for next to this black thing?
The one towards the rear is for the electric choke, & the forward one is for the intake manifold heater.

I went to a cable for the choke when I did the MC2100 swap.

My heep's P/O had connected the blue choke wire from the choke , to the intake heater (red wire). It's supposed to have the Pink wire connected to the red wire.

The intake heater is good to have, & should be left alone.
buckshot500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2009, 12:19 PM   #14
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Choke and manifold heater.

Edit: I see Buckshot beat me to it.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2009, 12:33 PM   #15
Mr-Rock
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, I'm putting in a dual battery tray and need to relocate these. I guess I can mount them under the new tray as i should not need to get to them often.
Mr-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.