odd bellhousing sounds - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > odd bellhousing sounds

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-07-2012, 02:35 AM   #16
riverhippy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete1991YJ View Post
You got the internal slave bearing right? With the 6-cylinder?
On an external slave it would just have a bunch of slop in its motion, enough to screw with the shifting prolly. On an internal one I dunno what you mean by the retaining nut, can you post a pic? When I changed mine the other month, there wasn't any nut, just a small pin.
peetay! wazz mah man doin??? ill post a shot but its the same as you describe for both...theres a pin and a push nut goes on top top to hold throwout bearing in place.

let me know if this can be the cause of the odd sound...banging...i can hear in all gears. although its moot, i'd like to know. ill post the pics of my trans rebuild as i go.

riverhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #17
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverhippy View Post
peetay! wazz mah man doin??? ill post a shot but its the same as you describe for both...theres a pin and a push nut goes on top top to hold throwout bearing in place.

let me know if this can be the cause of the odd sound...banging...i can hear in all gears. although its moot, i'd like to know. ill post the pics of my trans rebuild as i go.
Yeah if that pin or the push nut is gone then you will get all kinds of noise and one effed up bearing. Hint the pin doesn't *have* to be a pin, you could run a self-tapping sheet metal screw into the hole instead. I did that on my old XJ cherokee yrs ago. Basically zip-screw the bearing into the housing thru that little tab it has for that pin.

You can fix this for a 19 cents!

Tags
bigboobslittlelegs , boobs , hugeload , tranfer case , tranny problem

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.