JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   odd bellhousing sounds (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/odd-bellhousing-sounds-1420654/)

riverhippy 09-24-2012 01:00 PM

odd bellhousing sounds

this sounds like its coming from the bell housing but i wont be sure till i get the trans off. its a sporadic loud clang that only happens when its in gear. if its in neutral or the clutch is depressed it wont make noise, however, it will jusp outa gear.
any thoughts on this?

oh, one additional prob, the transfer case is leaking from the slip yoke. it was bone dry unfortunately. :rolleyes:

Grape Ape 09-24-2012 07:23 PM

It could be that the front axle is engaged and it is in 4 wheel drive while driving on dry pavement. The front and rear gears while both 3:55 or 4:10 are not identical it may be 3:55 front and 3;54 rear etc.. the difference binds the drivetrain up a bit and when the bind gets to be to much it will pop loose. or clang. It can cause damage to the t-case which may be the reason for the leak in the t-case slip yoke.

Mechman71 09-24-2012 08:43 PM

Oh Noes! Yours imput shaft berrings is DIED!!1! Youse is scrood!!!1! LOL

Actually, this is a really tough thing to diagnose without hearing the noise first hand. It can be difficult to diagnose when it's on a lift and running. Could be a clutch plate going bad, a broken pressure plate, something going wrong in the throw out assembly, or possibly the noise is actually coming from somewhere else and you just think it's coming from the bell housing when you're driving it. Does it happen in every gear? Is it a regular clang, or only once in a while? Does it happen when you have it running on a lift, or only when on the road? Has it always done this since you owned it, or is this a new problem?

Try tracking down the source of the noise before you pull the trans. It could be nothing more than a bad u-joint in your front drive shaft.

riverhippy 09-25-2012 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mechman71 (Post 14213537)
Oh Noes! Yours imput shaft berrings is DIED!!1! Youse is scrood!!!1! LOL

Actually, this is a really tough thing to diagnose without ............. done this since you owned it, or is this a new problem?

Try tracking down the source of the noise before you pull the trans. It could be nothing more than a bad u-joint in your front drive shaft.

i originally titled this thread about me n toto not being in kansas....kinda kool the admin retitled..woohoo!! :tea:
mechman i tried to break this down into a readable reply...
1) hearing the noise first hand: i tried posting a video...no dice.

2)noise coming from somewhere else:: its possible. the sound and feel of the banging is loudest and firmest at the bell-housing

3)when you're driving it. Does it happen in every gear? : it happens when im driving it and in every gear. even when its up on hoist. 5th gear started couple weeks ago, now its in all gears. additionally it jumps out of gear and into gear when in nuetral.

4)is this a new problem?: yes, brand new problem. when i pulled the trans before i missed the part about supporting the trans so like the neophyte i am, it dropped pretty hard. with that in mind the input shaft bearing sounds likely.

5) a bad u-joint in your front drive shaft: it makes the sound when the 4wd is not engaged

thanks for the interest mechman!!:thumbsup:

one thing i need to apologize for is although im jumping on this prob this week sometimes i might take a week or three to get to it. i take care of my mother (75) and my aunt(88) and now my gf moved in cuz while she was at home her dad decided to punch her. (yeah real badazz)

so if there is days, weeks or even months before i attack a prob just know im on it and im borrowing a car till i get my DD jeep on the road.

thanks for the love JF friends

riverhippy 09-25-2012 12:50 AM

one thing i need to apologize for is although im jumping on this prob this week sometimes i might take a week or three to get to it. i take care of my mother (75) and my aunt(88) and now my gf moved in cuz while she was at home her dad decided to punch her. (yeah real badazz)

so if there is days, weeks or even months before i attack a prob just know im on it and im borrowing a car till i get my DD jeep on the road.

thanks for the love JF friends :kiss:

pete1991YJ 09-25-2012 08:58 AM

Time to get a trans rebuild kit. Pretty sure of that, then since you say you dropped it pretty hard.
Gotta love your posts since I always feel better about my own crap after reading yours :laugh:

Apollo12227 09-25-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete1991YJ (Post 14215147)
Gotta love your posts since I always feel better about my own crap after reading yours :laugh:

Rofl I was thinking the exact same thing. :cheers:

riverhippy 09-25-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apollo12227 (Post 14215384)
Rofl I was thinking the exact same thing. :cheers:

uh...you are welcome....i think? haha yea i guess id feel better if i was reading my posts and not livin the dream...lol. on the upside my gf is 21, suh-mokin hot at 5'11''. has a playboy submission with her twin and is now playing for the lingerie football league (the chicago bliss). and i'm basically living in semi retirement whist i attend to the women who took care of me in my early life so it is a pretty cool dream im livin....with the exception of this jeep nightmare....lol.

so, not just replace the input shaft and bearing? whole rebuild? thats not the news i was hopin for.....fml

Apollo12227 09-25-2012 12:28 PM

Unfortunately if you are certain it is coming from the bell housing area then pulling it and having a look may be your best bet. I sure hate pulling transmissions but it happens.

pete1991YJ 09-25-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riverhippy (Post 14215942)

so, not just replace the input shaft and bearing? whole rebuild? thats not the news i was hopin for.....fml

Heh, I'm doin the semi-retired jeep thing too.

You actually *can* do just the input shaft and bearing if that's what you want to do. And for sure its a lot cheaper. But its the same amount of work pretty much anyhow. Either way.

Its usually better to just do all of em cuz when one bearing goes the rest of them are about to. Hence the rebuild kit and just do the whole thing at once just to save yourself from the PITA 6 months later when you have to pull it all over again.

Having to pull the same tranny 2x in the same year is a true FML... believe me I been there Did the exact same thing on my old GMC..:kiss::laugh:

Mechman71 09-25-2012 08:44 PM

^X2. If your trans is jumping out of gear, it's worn out. If it's jumping back INTO gear from neutral, it REALLY has issues. Open up that puppy and start throwing new parts at it, or better yet, get an AX15 and do the swap. You'll be happier for it in the end. :D

riverhippy 09-26-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete1991YJ (Post 14216173)
Heh, I'm doin the semi-retired jeep thing too.

....Having to pull the same tranny 2x in the same year is a true FML... believe me I been there Did the exact same thing on my old GMC..:kiss::laugh:

this is the 4th time ive pulled it this year.....once for the clutch, once for the cranck bearings then again after i figured out it was the crank, not the bearings...yeaaaa...fml...:laugh:

riverhippy 09-26-2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riverhippy (Post 14220151)
this is the 4th time ive pulled it this year.....once for the clutch, once for the cranck bearings then again after i figured out it was the crank, not the bearings...yeaaaa...fml...:laugh:

i will say ive been looking for a reason to try rebuilding my trans for some time. but it always turned out to be something else that was wrong...lol. I'm hoping it pans out this time. i watch YouTube vids on it just for fun......:shhh:

riverhippy 10-06-2012 12:54 PM

i pulled the bellhousing off. the retaining nut for the hydraulic throwout bearing is missing. does anyone know the affect this has?:confused:

pete1991YJ 10-06-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riverhippy (Post 14263395)
i pulled the bellhousing off. the retaining nut for the hydraulic throwout bearing is missing. does anyone know the affect this has?:confused:

You got the internal slave bearing right? With the 6-cylinder?
On an external slave it would just have a bunch of slop in its motion, enough to screw with the shifting prolly. On an internal one I dunno what you mean by the retaining nut, can you post a pic? When I changed mine the other month, there wasn't any nut, just a small pin.

The time now is 05:52 PM.