Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

October 2016 YJOTM - Vote now

October 2016 YJOTM - VOTE NOW!!!

6K views 120 replies 42 participants last post by  csmit328 
#1 ·
Here it is folks, the October 2016 YJOTM contest!!! Got a GREAT lineup this month, decisions will be difficult!!

Thanks to all of our prize vendors, @jeepforum, @Metalcloak, and our additional prize this month only from @Quadratec!

Thanks to all who are participating in this contest!!

Here's a quick reminder of the voting rules:

To vote on the contest, the rules are as follows:
All nonsupporting members must post when you vote or it will not be counted. Paid members do not have to post when voting.

No soliciting votes from within JF or outside JF

No promotion within this thread will be permitted via more pictures or descriptions. We have PMs please use them

All voters will remain public as to promote self moderation

Self votes are not permitted, and will not be tolerated. Any entrants voting for their own rig will be immediately disqualified.

As always the winner will receive a 1 year paid member status here on Jeepforum as well as a substantial gift card from Metalcloak! Not to mention being in our YJ calendar!
[SIZE="2"I am excited to announce an additional prize this month only, a $200 Gift Card from our friends over at Quadratec!!!!!!

If there are any more questions feel free to post in this thread or PM me with any concerns or suggestions

Good luck to all!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Gotswap

-YJ year of production
-Specifications and modifications
bejesus, do I really? I don't want to know anymore.....
-Brief history of your jeep and how it came to be.
Purchased the Heep about 4 years ago and what a POS but one hell of a deal. None of the electrical worked, got about 4MPG, massive death wobble, reverse popped out violently and puked a quart of oil out of the RMS every time you looked at it.

First things first, fixed all the electrical. Then proceeded on spending 3 days to get the damn welded on oil pan off and struggle with the upper portion of the RMS. Up next was the craptastic MPG. Adjusted the Weber carb as best I could and finally gave up to put on a MC2100, now getting 15MPG and much better driveability. Then the ignition took a dump on me so I swapped in a DUI HEI, holy hell what a difference. As far as overall performance it is a toss up between that and the 4.88 gears.

I think that about sums up the "fixes"

Off road prowess is a whole other story. I am really impressed with this machine, far exceeds my abilities.

4.88's, 35's, terralow 4:1,AX15 swapped in, Smitty 10k winch, Metal Cloak all around, RE 5" HD, 5100's, XJ smooth axle D30, 8.8, OX lockers front and rear, MasterCraft Rubicon seats and 5 pt harness.

Sure I am missing a ton but probably best forgotten.

-Up to four pictures http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/october-2016-yjotm-vote-now-3898170/f12/october-2016-yjotm-vote-now-3898170/ tags embedded onto entry

When I first got it and spent way too much money on plastic flares....
[IMG]https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/10156065_10201362106765575_2124650954134900062_n.jpg?oh=ecefa2595b7d9eb7ed1096bec026f1b4&oe=5864A607

First wheelin' trip, 33's, open diffs on 3.73's and a failing trans. Jack A$$ BA.....

Trip a few weeks ago, all upgraded and beautified up :)

#3 ·
xjrjrx
Here is my jeep it started out as a 94 sahara with a homebrew lift kit that wandered all over the road and rust coming out of everywhere. I had to talk my wife into letting me restore one, its been my dream since high school to have one. With it being october i fuigure a monster "yj on coils" would be pretty scary. The old boy is almost done and cant wait to finish it so i can finish my wifes 55 Willys pickup truck

Specs:

Drivetrain:
4.0 AX-15 NP231
Dana 30/35 3.07 gears Spartan locker up front
33x12.50x15 tires

Suspension/lift:
Procomp 5 inch coilspring conversion
1 inch daystar body lift

Mods:

Interior:
Monstalined tub
LED dash lights
New Bestop Trailmax II seats heated for winter driving
Smittybilt security center console with stereo relocated
CB radio replaced factory stereo
Tahoe rear view mirror with compass and temp
Bestop instatrunk
Leather shiftboot(no more grinding!)

Exterior:
-Genright G3 Fenders with 6 inch flare
-Smittybilt XRC front and rear bumpers
-Smittybilt 9500 winch
-HID retrofit headlights
-Led flush mount turn signals front and rear with turn signals hidden in the wheel wells
-OnBoard Air using a/c compressor with 2 gallon tank mounted under the jeep by the gas tank with air hoses acessible front and rear
-Air tools to fix on the trail(not a mod but a necessity)
-Brown Dog rubber engine mounts
-95 brake booster with new master cylinder and WillWood adjustable proportioning valve

Future plans:
Monstaline exterior with Dark Orange
8.8 axle with disc brakes and 4.56 gears with OX air locker

#4 ·
timatoe

1990 YJ
Current specs:
4.2 with Howell fuel injection, HEI, York OBA, TJ brake booster etc etc
AX-15 & NP231 with Tera Low 4:1
HP44 front / D60 rear (soon to be 14 bolt)
37" Cooper STT Pro / H2 wheels
BTF rockers and rear armor / Metal Cloak up front
I'm sure there's tons of other crap I'm forgetting.

Bought this Jeep back in 2005, got a good deal on it. A new motor, trans and rear later and it was rolling. Was basically stock with the exception of a two inch body lift and two inch shackles and some 33's. I drove it this way until Mr. B invited me to the Rubicon and I was hooked.

Put on some 2" BDS springs, TJ flares, TJ rear armor with a relocated fuel filler and MORE shackles, and Howell Fuel Injection. Built some rock sliders, front bumper and rear tire carrier.
Here she is then.

Next logical progression was an 8.8, SOA and 35's (luckily I got a whopping $75 back on that all new D35) TeraLow, gears and ARB's front and rear.
This is how she rolled for several years.

Few years ago, got tired of looking at the faded hood paint with factory primer showing through and decided to go for a little change. Sprayed the entire thing with MonstaLiner Road Rash and all the accessories with Monsta Black. Added a set of Metal Cloak front fenders.

So last winter I decided to go full widths and stretch it. HP D44 Front / D60 rear. Stretched the front about 3 ½" and the rear nearly 8" on XJ leafs up front and Explorer springs in the rear. H2 wheels and 37's.

Here she is now.

Have a 14 Bolt in the garage I'm building and someday maybe a front 60 will find its way home.

Figured I'd hold off putting in for this till October since now I'm rolling the YJ Jack 'O Lantern edition.

#5 ·
SSYJ94
-YJ year of production-1994
-Specifications and modifications:
The easier list is what hasn't been touched or had to be modified. Currently running an XJ 4.0 with normal bolt tons through an AX15 to a 4.3 atlas tcase. Upfront is cromo shafted arb locked waggy 44 and out back is a 6 lug shafted Detroit locked 8.8. It's all riding on a custom 3/4link suspension with 12" fox coilovers at all four corners. It's riding about 5" of lift over stock with 35" creepy crawlers. There's a home made AL/UHMW belly skid and AtoZ full cage with corbeau seats to protect from when I run out of talent.

I bought the jeep bone stock back in 1999 with 40k now its over 250k. I've run the gammit of suspensions, axles and tire sizes along the way. Now the jeep is a blast to wheel and handles well on the street despite the unbalanced bias ply tires. Over the winter I'll be chopping the rear frame off to redo some stuff and make it better.

#6 ·
Shadownwpa

1991 2.5l ax5 np231 w/sye
Local shop modified xj driveshaft

2.5" procomp springs with 5/8" boomerang shackles

8.8LSD rear, D30 front with CAD delete, solid xj shaft swap, and a lunchbox

33x12.5-15 BFG ATs

19lb injectors, 4.0tb swap (still working out the bugs), tj downpipe

Hydraulic hand brake, 20gallon tank modification, track bars disappeared, sway bar disconnects, LED turn front turn signals and marker lights in the bumper

Homebuilt front bumper, rear bumper, and rocker armor/steps

Modified smitty rear fender wraps with Trailtubes fender kit built on them. Patched the yj cutouts to do a tj style filler and led taillights.

CJ style stamped tailgate attached to a reinforced rear tub panel.

Trailtubes front fenders

Fenders, armor, wheel wells, and interior all monstalined black

I picked up the jeep a while back and figured worst case it would be a utility vehicle for the Christmas tree farm... it snowballed into what it is now. I sandblasted and repaired the frame (including 2 new crossmembers), swapped and repaired the tub, and left pretty much nothing untouched. I hope to get some new tires this spring, a winch, balance the front driveshaft, and eventually swap in an OM617.

Build thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/shadownwpa-91ish-yj-build-thread-1857154/

#7 ·
Jmart2119

Black Beauty(BB)
89 YJ Wrangler "Previously Bone Stock"
Owned it since I was 16
Daily Driver/Weekend Wheeler
Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...yjotm-vote-now-3898170/f22/j...9/index27.html

Drivetrain:
2.5L mostly unmolested with Brown Dog Rubber 1" MML
AX5 with external slave conversion, Tummy Tucked, Homebrew Custom Crossmember
Homebrew freshly rebuilt NP231 w/Advance Adapters SYE, Clocked, Tummy Tucked
Front Tattons DC Driveshaft, Rear DC driveshaft
Dirty 30 w/5.13 gears, Spartan Locker, XJ axle shafts w/760x ujoints stretched forward 1.25"
8.8 LSD w/5.13 gears and Solid Cover stretched back 1"
35x12.5x15 Goodyear MT/R's with Kevlar on 15x8 Eagle Alloys

Suspension/Steering:
Fabtech 3.5" springs
1" Lift boom shackles
1" Daystar Body Lift
Ashland's 12" Shocks
M.O.R.E rear shock extensions
Partsmike Steering Bracket
Durango Steering box
Ruffstuff 3/4 heim steering w/BTF crossover bracket
Track+sway delete

Exterior:
MetalCloak Overline Front Fenders
CCFabs Rear Corner Armor w/3" steel flares
BTF weld in Cage w/AtoZ fab grab handles
Barnes Flat skid plate
Homebrew 1" Gas tank lift
Dirtworx rear bumper tire carrier
Smitty Stinger
E-Auto Rock Sliders
Hard Top
Bikini and Duster
Full doors and Half doors

Lighting:
LED round tailights
LED pods on the windshield
LED Rock lights
LED gauge lights
LED Interior lighting

Other stuff I have done:
15 gallon steel tank to 20 gallon poly tank conversion
Sport to Family roll cage conversion
TJ downpipe conversion
License plate relocated to tire carrier
Anti-theft Kill Switch
Homebrew Accessory switch panel
Sentinal02 designed defroster directional shields
Dash painted black
Black Bestop Trailmax II seats
Tuffy center console
Bedlined Tub
10" Sub and amp in the back
Bestop full trunk
Im sure I am missing others

Future upgrades:
York On Board Air(7/8 completed)
Winch
ARB rear locker
5.3 swap

I bought this Jeep when I was 16 and it has been my DD every day, now I am 30. I drove it stock for 12 years and just started building it about two years ago. Without f12 I would have never been able to build this Jeep. I knew nothing about vehicles, struggling to do an oil change and I have learned so much from this forum and Its members.

But the best thing about my jeep is that it has repaired my relationship with my Dad. Throughout college I rarely spoke to him(I was young and dumb). But since I started my build we have become very close and now we speak almost daily about the jeep and other things in life. I have done all the work myself with him assisting, when he has rare time, in a dirt/rock driveway and 5x3 slab of concrete and a sidewalk. I always look forward to working on the jeep with my Dad and the time I get to spend with him.

I have driven this thing all the way out to Moab and it was a blast and I am usually up wheeling it every weekend during the season.

#8 ·
mark23

1995 Jeep Wrangler YY

Drivetrain
-2.5L, 5 spd, NP231J
-XJ HPD30, 4.10's, Lock-right, Alloy shafts, crane diff cover.
-Stock D35 rear, (8.8 in garage waiting on install)
-33x10.50 BFG KM2's, US Steel wheels
Suspension/Steering
-Rough Country 1ton steering
-2.5" OME
-MORE 5/8" lift boomerang shackles
Interior
-Monstaliner inside of tub
-Corbeau Moab bucket seats
-Ivault center console
-Floor mount speaker pod
-LED floor lights
-CB radio
Exterior
-Hot Rod Flat Desert tan paint
-CJ7 rear tailgate
-Custom from bumper w/ Q9000 winch
-Smittylbuilt rear bumper
-TJ Fender flares
-Assoreted offroad lights

I bought this jeep about 10 years ago, and it's the 3rd Jeep I have owned. It was mostly stock and Emerald green when I purchased it. This has been a pretty slow build since I drive the jeep almost every day even though I have a nice truck as a DD. I have done all the work myself, to include painting in a fairly small garage.

When purchased vs Now

#9 ·
bgredjeep

1987 YJ
Build thread - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/bgredjeep-s-yj-thread-1499373
-Engine
4.2 w/ Howell EFI, CRT HEI ign.
-Transmission
t18 from a 79CJ
-Transfer Case
Tera-Low Dana 20 (3.15:1)
-Front Axle
Dana 60, Spartan locker, 4.56, cross-over steering (PSC arms), Surplus Center hydro ram, 35spline outers, spicer joints, Solid drive flanges and diff cover
-Rear Axle
Eaton HO72, welded, 4.56, Artec truss, shaved housing, custom rear cover, 14bolt shafts, Disk brakes
-Suspension
SOA front on RE 1.5" springs, Bilstein 5100 shocks. rear 4-link, 16" radflo 2.5 air shocks, 1-1/4" heims, 108" wb
-Tires
40" comp Maxxis Trepadors
-Wheels
17x9 Method 101 beadlocks
-Recovery
T-Max 9000, aluminum fairlead, Warn synth rope, Warn snatch block, High-Lift, rear 2500lb suck down winch
-Armor
Full custom cage/back-half, Barnes4wd bumper, Custom flat skid.
-Accessories
Corbeau Ultra SS seats, ORS seat sliders, 5pt harnesses, quick release steering wheel, Brown Dog MML, 20# co2, MBQuart amp w/ bluetooth, Bazooka wake tower speakers, powered Bazooka tube, Bluetooth, 10" LED light bars, Action Packer for tool storage

I bought this Jeep in 1999 as my DD. It had a 4" lift and 33s Jeep. I drove it as my only vehicle for ~4 years until I bought a car to DD. From there I started building with the intention of having a solid wheeler that I could drive to the trail, wheel, and drive home. I did a pretty good job of that, but once I picked up my Dodge 2500 CTD in 2005, all that went out the window.

Late last year I was finally able to take the next step to what I have now. After years of planning, I went full Juggy. I wanted it to basically be a buggy, but still be my Jeep. I can't take credit for the recent work, beyond sharing my thoughts and ideas with my buddy who built it. I liked his style so I pretty much gave him my overall vision and, for the most part, he did the rest. Since the build was finished in April, I've taken the Jeep to Gulches, Harlan, and Golden Mountain, and it's performed great.

On my last trip out, one of the factory leaf spring hangers desided to leave the frame which just pushes me to the next phase. Soon we are going to chop the frame in the front and 3-link the front suspension (maybe 4-link depending on how things will fit). Thanks. On to the pics.

First, here's a pic of the Jeep as I had built it over the years, before chopping it up (fyi, the body is beat up a lot more than this pic shows)

These are from Dixie Run a few weeks ago. Always a good time, but very hot and dusty this year.

It is still tagged, insured, and "street legal". The only problem I have with driving on the road is running my treps on the road.

#10 ·
CALPBS

1992 Wrangler, 6 cyl 5 speed hard top
Modifications: 33" Kenda Klevers, 4" Bastard pack lift with Monroe Shocks. Boomerang shackles and a shackle reversal. Polygraphite trans and motor mounts. Electric fan, cherokee water pump, extended fuel range modification, Hurst Shifter and New A/C. New console, carpet, Pontiac Aztec Seats locking storage trunk, hard and soft grab handles, custom fabbed YETI 30 oz cup holder and sunvisor console. Front bumper with winch and LED's, Custom build rear bumper with reciever hitch and swing out tire carrier and custom tag bracket. Custom fabbed exoskeleton with 9" and 7" HID's and 5" Hellas (Halogen), High Lift mount and AX mount, LED B/U lights, B/U Laser and Back Up camera system and a custom made set of Cable Limb Risers. The entire jeep was painted inside and out and body mods include hood medallion, headlight scowl, 6: fender flares and stickers and emblems honoring jeep, my military service and america.
I went through a four year divorce and custody legal action. After exhausting all my resources I finally won my battle and gained custody of my 12 year old son. During the process the judge awarded my x-wife my prised 1994 wrangler. I felt lost without a Jeep but I was financially decimated. I found this Jeep on my local CL and it had been there for a while. When I called the owner said it turned over but would not run. He said it had sat for many months. When I went to look at it he stated the the children had been driving it at the farm when it quit running. A bush was growing up through the engine. I made a trade for two AR-15's I had and the jeep came home. It required almost a complete disassembly to make all the repairs. I was fortunate that I believe the PO removed the engine fuse to hide the bad exhaust leak which sounded a lot like a rod knocking. Thank you for the chance to compete, I feel like I already won every time my son and I go for a ride in the Jeep.

#11 ·
Steve707

93 YJ 4.0
SOA 1.5" RE springs, 5/8" boomerang shackles in back, 3/8" upfront.
AA SYE
35" MTRS
Rear 8.8 4.56 open diff
Front HPD30 4.56 truetrac with TJ shafts, WJ knuckles/brakes and crossover steering using Ruffstuff heims.
TJ transfer case signal
Sound bar, dash speakers removed.
CB radio
Rugged Ridge center console
Homebuilt rear bumper and rock sliders.

Growing up my dad always talked about getting a jeep, and that's what got me interested. When it was time to buy my first car I saved up and bought a YJ. I've been working on it pretty slowly since I bought it, but I'm pretty happy with it so far. The only thing I regret is having the 35 rebuilt. I didn't know about jeepforum at the time, or really have any idea what I was doing. This jeep has lead me to learn some invaluable lessons, and also to make some great friends.

The day after I first took it offroad.

First time I took it to play with rocks, broke my rear passenger spring. This is what made me go get an 8.8 and start my SOA.

Last time we were at Hollister.

As it sits now.

#12 ·
Randonexplosion

Drivetrain: 5.3/4l60E/np231
Axles:HP30 with 760 shafts, Aussie locker, Black Magic Brakes, M.O.R.E. steering knuckle and crossover steering - 8.8 with Artec truss and brackets, Ruffstuff diff cover, Yukon Ultimate 88 kit, factory 4.10s & limited slip
Suspension: SOA front on stock YJ springs stretched ~1", Bilstein 5125s and WFO shock hoops - Triangulated 4 link rear with Currie Johnny Joints, 2" OME springs and outboarded Bilstein 5125s stretched ~6" - 101" wheelbase
Armor - Metalcloak front bumper & Overline fenders, homemade rocksliders, Stout Fab TJ stretch corners, Barnes4wd rear bumper/crossmember and 2" skid plate
Wheels/tires: ProComp alloy 15x8 with 35/12.50 Cooper Stt
Other stuff: BTF front cage kit, Genright fuel cell, Mastercraft suspension seats, ½" body lift, Quadratec winch and some other stuff… topless year round

-I originally bought my Jeep as a runaround vehicle after selling my truck. I wanted something to get out camping, shooting etc and I didn't want a payment anymore. Little did I know how addicting wheeling and building would be. After a couple years of fighting the gutless, leaky 4.2 my old truck fell into my hands as insurance salvage… the 5.3 was meant to be. I have finally gotten the suspension to a point where I'm happy with it, for a while at least. The Jeep has been a huge learning experience, having only been slightly mechanically inclined when I bought it, it has been a blast to basically rebuild the entire Jeep myself through trial and error, with a lot of help from JF members. It does everything I ask it to, from Moab to snowbashing in the mountains to getting my girlfriend to and from work in the summer.

#18 ·
@xjrjrx, and @Randonexplosion: When you guys have a chance, can you go and check out your Photobucket accounts? When I try to go directly to the pictures on Photobucket, I just get the spinning wheel like they're loading, but they don't ever load. Maybe a privacy setting is blocking the links or something?

@xjrjrx: I can see your thumbnails just fine at the bottom of the page, but the main picture doesn't want to load for some reason.
@Randonexplosion: I can't see your pictures or thumbnails at all.

#21 ·
@boduke5051 I sent you some new IMG tags but the old ones look like they're working now. Photobucket is terribly slow right now too.

Great line-up guys! good luck!

#22 ·
Ok, even weirder! I didn't make any changes at all on my end, and now all of a sudden @xjrjrx, and @Randonexplosion's pics are working just fine. May have been a temporary issue with Photobucket? :dunno:

Can anybody tell me if they can see the pictures for @Steve707, or @gotswap's entries?

Thank you,

#23 ·
@boduke5051 I can see everyone's pics now. I think Photobucket was having a stroke.

Reactions: boduke5051
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.