Observations on D35 and why it breaks so easily! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Observations on D35 and why it breaks so easily!

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 10-09-2002, 09:36 PM   #1
GregM

Observations on D35 and why it breaks so easily!

I've been thinking about this a lot and have made some observations on why so many people seem to have problems with their D35 breaking.

The ring gear in the D35 is 7.5" I believe, same as the GM 10 Bolt that comes in S10, Camaros, Older model s-blazers, etc. I have seen several 10 bolts die under a camaro at the strip, and they all seem to have a common theme......The car is a manual transmission and the tires hooked really good off the line.

I've seen 10 bolt rears in AUTOMATIC tranny camaros hold up to 400+ hp running slicks at the track, lifting the front tires and last forever, but get one hooked to a 6 speed with some power and sticky tires and they leave a trail of pinion teeth down the track!

SO......here's my thoughts. Everyone here, or at least most that do rough wheeling, run with a manual transmission. It would make sense to me that the D35 would hold up a lot better with an auto tranny.

The main reasons that the 10 bolt rear hold up with an auto in high HP Camaros is because there is a lot less shock to the rear because the power delivery is a lot smoother coming from an auto tranny. No jerk from letting a clutch out too quick or powershifting.

Would the same not hold true for the D35? $400+hp to the wheels on a 3600lb car running slicks that stick to everything has to be more stressful that 180hp turning 35" tires. Right???

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on this. I have a 5 speed YJ now that I plan to trade for an auto shifting TJ next spring. I've been looking, and finding a D44 rear on a TJ is difficult. I want to run 33's or 35's without fear of my rear going and leaving me stranded. I was thinking i'd be safe with the automatic tranny?!?!?!

GregM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2002, 11:37 PM   #2
Quan

I think the D35 sucks because its a worthless freaking piece of poop that is just barely enough to handle a stock jeep. 9 incher here we come!

Edited by moderator for creative spelling of filtered words

[b][COLOR=green]Green[/color] Jeep Club Member #15[/b]
[b]My Jeep Made Me Broke Club Member #2[/b]

93 YJ I-6 w/ stuff

Keep the [COLOR=blue]greasy[/color] side down
[URL=http://members.cox.net/quanno/ford88.html]FORD 8.8 INFO HERE![/URL]
Quan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2002, 11:10 AM   #3
Tnuts

Chuckle Chuckle!

Quote:
Originally posted by Quan
I think the D35 sucks because its a worthless freaking piece of poop that is just barely enough to handle a stock jeep. 9 incher here we come!

Edited by moderator for creative spelling of filtered words
Now that is a soundly supported opinion!

I have to agree with Greg, as it is well supported with experience and facts as well as being explained in a clear, concise methodical manner. I have encountered the same facts in my research to switch from slush box to stick and many hardcore wheelers have told me to stay with the auto just because it offers so much buffer between the power and the parts that break. I am STILL trying to decide what to do but the more I learn, the more inclined I am to stay w/ the auto despite the fact that it is a real power sucker on a 2.5L and it doesn't offer the same reliability as a manual(bumpstarts and running w/ low or no lube/fluid) Plus, it is a heck of a lot easier and cheaper to not have to rewire and swap out Tcase inputs
Unread 10-10-2002, 12:36 PM   #4
MugZy_YJ_94
ka-mai

2004 KJ Liberty 

well i'm not saying that a 44 wouln't be better, but since that is or simply unavailable or unpayable, i'm making the best of my 35's i do some seriuos jeeping (altough not rock trails.... are non around here) and untill now it helt fine (even where other 4x4 had to lip of the trail)
i dont think the abuse on an axle is axualy comming from popping a cluch to fast :-)

Now in the soccer mum class. Missing the YJ, but the KJ isn't bad...for now.
black jeepclub #35
MugZy_YJ_94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2002, 12:39 PM   #5
UPnOVER

Who has had a D35 go bad on them?

What's the full story?

I have been reading the stories about how bad they are but never heard a personal story with one going bad. You can up grade them but I agree it is cheaper to get a bigger axle D44, F9”, F8.8 or ect. but if you stay under a 33" tire and not use it as a drag racer you should be fine.
[COLOR=red]RED JEEP #6[/COLOR]
91' YJ, D30 EZ, F8.8 locked & 410's, BDS4+" lift, 35" BFG's on 15x8 RC, 8,000lb Ramsey, etc. www. rock-nutz.com
UPnOVER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2002, 02:17 PM   #6
coolhand

I grenaded mine a couple of years ago. I was in two-wheel drive following a couple of friends in their full size Chevy’s. We were going through a loose section or trail and started to get on it. Well here I was about 20mph and fishtailing when I hit a section of hard pack. Clunk, Snap, Bang and Boom. I was able to limp home at about 10mph but when I made a turn in either direction I felt like the entire rear-end was going too far out. It was still under warranty so I towed down to the dealers and had them open and inspect. $1600 dollars of parts and labor latter I was back on the trail with all new internals. Warrantees are sweat, only cost me $200 for my deductible. I babied my D35 for A while and after the warranty ran out I install a Ford 8.8 .
"The Empty Pocket Warriors." Member #2
"92 YJ, 3.5" BDS. Custom 1.5" lift shackles, 2" BL, Ford 8.8 W/Trac-loc & 33" TrXus MT's (for now).
"No one ever accused the Wrangler of being comfortable, quiet, or practical. No one ever called it boring, either. The Wrangler is a two-door toy, ... great fun to drive with the top down." -- AUTOMOBILE MAGAZINE, March 1995.
coolhand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.