OBA question. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > OBA question.

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-23-2013, 02:52 AM   #1
ukjeeper
1991 YJ Wrangler 

OBA question.

A few years ago i took all my AC components out of my '91 (except the Sanden), and set up OBA.

As you know, the air output from the Sanden is kinda hot, up till now i've run the output line on a long loop round the outside of the engine bay and back to the manifold to help it cool.

But, I've currently got the rad out (waiting replacement) and am considering putting the old AC condensor back in and running the output from the Sanden through and back to the OBA manifold.

Has anyone here done this? Did it help? Is it worth doing?

ukjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 07:15 AM   #2
95 Lowbuck

I think it's a little overkill.
If you have a copper coil for the output, which I don't even have,
it should be enough to keep o-rings and rubber seals from melting.
Adding the condenser will just increase weight and restrict flow to the radiator.
95 Lowbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 07:43 AM   #3
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You can get a junk yard York for cheap, which runs cooler and doesn't have the oil concern (meaning don't use a Sanden just because you have one).
Unread 06-23-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I made a copper coil from the compressor to the storage tank to help with the heat. Also I get my intake air from the outside of the engine compartment for even more cooling.
The storage tank is under the batteries and the copper tube is like 5 feet worth of coil, and the air intake is right below the pass headlight on the grill. And the compressor was rebuilt(by Extreme Aire) with new bearings and grease paths to also keep things smooth and as cool as it can get.
This setup runs hot, as do ALL air conditioners that are converted, even Yorks, the Freon has a oil load in it to lube and cool( the freon) the compressor. Without this oily freon we need to deal with a lot of heat. But mine runs cool enough as to not be an issue for me. I have ran it for 5 modded Jeeps worth of large tire fillings, about 40 minutes solid of run time without issues of heat(I did open the hood and rev the engine a bit).
Heat will kill your compressor if it is not delt with...

jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukjeeper View Post
A few years ago i took all my AC components out of my '91 (except the Sanden), and set up OBA.

As you know, the air output from the Sanden is kinda hot, up till now i've run the output line on a long loop round the outside of the engine bay and back to the manifold to help it cool.

But, I've currently got the rad out (waiting replacement) and am considering putting the old AC condensor back in and running the output from the Sanden through and back to the OBA manifold.

Has anyone here done this? Did it help? Is it worth doing?
I have not done it but I do not see why it would not work.
Even better run it to the tank after the AC condensor and then to your filter, pressure switch and manifold.
I did the grease thing rather than using oil.
http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...rd_air_system/
http://www.grungle.com/endlessair.html

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.