ob1korobi's YJ Rescue - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ob1korobi's YJ Rescue

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 09-18-2013, 12:34 AM   #31
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Finding that perfectly flat area to get it reconnected is a pain. I spend more time jumping on my buddy's driver fender trying to get these things reconnected than I do airing up all the tires in our group. All of us.
This^

That said, I still S T I L L wouldn't let my daughter drive our YJ without it over 30 MPH.

I respect Joes opinion and his work, and perhaps if we were set up perfectly, it wouldn't matter - we're not at this point.

91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club Club #91
05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 D44/44 locked 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s

TJ FOR SALE
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #32
ob1korobi

1987 YJ Wrangler 

word up JF YJ peeps. I have been busy with work the last month but over the weekend I was able to take the YJ from Forestville where my parents live all the way to San Francisco (About 68 miles). She was running pretty rough. Got her to a mechanic to get the smog done and I'm finding out I didn't do a very good job hooking up the vacuum lines apparently. He is going to take a look and hopefully tomorrow it will be running smoothly.
Unread 11-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #33
ob1korobi

1987 YJ Wrangler 

So, where to begin? The vacuum lines were actually hooked up pretty well from the carb. The rest of the lines were not. After getting that sorted out the mechanic wouldn't put it on his dyno because the tires were oversized. He was worried about it jumping off. No worries. I got it down to another place and they were happy to give it a shot. Amazingly, IT PASSED SMOG! I was under the gun to get the smog and registration done before last Thursday so I could take it on a camping trip. Not too far away but I wanted to see how it has held up after not driving for almost two years. I took a ride with some friends Thursday night to Lake Pillsbury in the Mendocino National Forest. After arriving at about 1230am Friday morning, I figured out how much of a gas guzzler this thing is. Welcome to YJ land right? I was getting about 10MPG from my calculations. I also realized that the engine is burning way to much gas obviously. Which explains the heavy exhaust. It was not doing this in the days before the trip but I have a feeling that along the highway driving something got out of tune. Anyway, next morning was a very beautiful morning. My first camping pic with the guzzler.

The next two days I drove it around a few trails and put about 60 miles on it from the time I fueled up. The whole weekend you could smell the heavy exhaust and the acceleration was very poor at first but as soon as it was up to around 1500-1800rpms or so it would kick in and go. Sometimes I would get a lot of smoke (grey and black). My buddy suggested adjusting the idle a little just to help it stay up in the rpms. It would tend to die after about 30 seconds after starting it and the carb intake was not open enough either. We fixed all of that and the startup is now way smoother. The acceleration and sputter was still a problem and that was also making my mileage limited. I had to rely on my friends who had spare fuel in case I ran out on the way out of the woods. Which I did. I was able to get about 125 miles on a 20 gallon tank. Yea. That's right. About 6.25mpg. So after refueling my HMMWV with some gas cans I made it the next few miles to a station and was good to go. It was 134 miles to San Francisco but it was all highway driving. From Upper Lake we headed South and that is where my trip ended an hour and a half later. As I was getting to Petaluma I started smelling something burning. I looked down and noticed smoke coming out of the steering column. Probably not good. I looked at the temp gauge and it was pinned into the red. Off the highway I went and when I opened the hood, there was steam and coolant all over the place. The reservoir lid was blown off and after I let it cool down I opened the radiator and it was filled with flecks of rust and black soot. I had to have it towed to my friends house nearby and I am waiting to get it towed further to a mechanic or somewhere I can inspect everything. I also have a nice oil leak coming from the rear seal. Time to do some research on cooling systems and radiators. All in all it was a great trip. The YJ held up and the problems are something I am just going to have to deal with. I still love it. It is my dream car.
Unread 11-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #34
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1korobi
So, where to begin? The vacuum lines were actually hooked up pretty well from the carb. The rest of the lines were not. After getting that sorted out the mechanic wouldn't put it on his dyno because the tires were oversized. He was worried about it jumping off. No worries. I got it down to another place and they were happy to give it a shot. Amazingly, IT PASSED SMOG! I was under the gun to get the smog and registration done before last Thursday so I could take it on a camping trip. Not too far away but I wanted to see how it has held up after not driving for almost two years. I took a ride with some friends Thursday night to Lake Pillsbury in the Mendocino National Forest. After arriving at about 1230am Friday morning, I figured out how much of a gas guzzler this thing is. Welcome to YJ land right? I was getting about 10MPG from my calculations. I also realized that the engine is burning way to much gas obviously. Which explains the heavy exhaust. It was not doing this in the days before the trip but I have a feeling that along the highway driving something got out of tune. Anyway, next morning was a very beautiful morning. My first camping pic with the guzzler. The next two days I drove it around a few trails and put about 60 miles on it from the time I fueled up. The whole weekend you could smell the heavy exhaust and the acceleration was very poor at first but as soon as it was up to around 1500-1800rpms or so it would kick in and go. Sometimes I would get a lot of smoke (grey and black). My buddy suggested adjusting the idle a little just to help it stay up in the rpms. It would tend to die after about 30 seconds after starting it and the carb intake was not open enough either. We fixed all of that and the startup is now way smoother. The acceleration and sputter was still a problem and that was also making my mileage limited. I had to rely on my friends who had spare fuel in case I ran out on the way out of the woods. Which I did. I was able to get about 125 miles on a 20 gallon tank. Yea. That's right. About 6.25mpg. So after refueling my HMMWV with some gas cans I made it the next few miles to a station and was good to go. It was 134 miles to San Francisco but it was all highway driving. From Upper Lake we headed South and that is where my trip ended an hour and a half later. As I was getting to Petaluma I started smelling something burning. I looked down and noticed smoke coming out of the steering column. Probably not good. I looked at the temp gauge and it was pinned into the red. Off the highway I went and when I opened the hood, there was steam and coolant all over the place. The reservoir lid was blown off and after I let it cool down I opened the radiator and it was filled with flecks of rust and black soot. I had to have it towed to my friends house nearby and I am waiting to get it towed further to a mechanic or somewhere I can inspect everything. I also have a nice oil leak coming from the rear seal. Time to do some research on cooling systems and radiators. All in all it was a great trip. The YJ held up and the problems are something I am just going to have to deal with. I still love it. It is my dream car.
Sounds like you may have blown a head gasket. My mother in laws toyo rav 4 did the same thing. It blew the reservoir cap and the rad fluid had oil in it. Damn. I hope I'm wrong.

Posted via my pretentious iPhone.

TJ FOR SALE
Unread 11-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #35
JWBooth
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Any updates here? My 91 did the same thing- overheated, blew the res. cap off, steam and coolant everywhere- and I haven't had a chance to diagnose it. From the research I've done, signs point to blown head gasket. I'm interested to know what the issue/diagnosis is with yours. Best of luck, please keep us posted.
**LONG LIVE 4-LOW**LONG LIVE 4-LOW**LONG LIVE 4-LOW**
JWBooth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #36
ob1korobi

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWBooth View Post
Any updates here? My 91 did the same thing- overheated, blew the res. cap off, steam and coolant everywhere- and I haven't had a chance to diagnose it. From the research I've done, signs point to blown head gasket. I'm interested to know what the issue/diagnosis is with yours. Best of luck, please keep us posted.
Well it just happened on Sunday. I am having it towed today to a shop so it can get looked at. Does anyone think that it could possibly be that the radiator had so much rust and crud in it that it shook loose during my trip and somehow clogged the thermostat/waterpump? This might cause the waterpump or thermo to seize and would definitely make the radiator reservoir blow? No outlet from the motor to the radiator and only coolant sitting in the bottom of radiator trying to circulate only to go nowhere? I know its reaching but I have heard of stranger things. And it is a YJ so why not?
Unread 11-20-2013, 11:47 AM   #37
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1korobi
Well it just happened on Sunday. I am having it towed today to a shop so it can get looked at. Does anyone think that it could possibly be that the radiator had so much rust and crud in it that it shook loose during my trip and somehow clogged the thermostat/waterpump? This might cause the waterpump or thermo to seize and would definitely make the radiator reservoir blow? No outlet from the motor to the radiator and only coolant sitting in the bottom of radiator trying to circulate only to go nowhere? I know its reaching but I have heard of stranger things. And it is a YJ so why not?
The coolant in the radiator not being circulated would not super heat to the point of blowing the reservoir cap. In fact, it would be cooler than it would normally be when circulating.

What happens is that the head gasket develops a leak near the exhaust port, and slowly pushes exhaust gasses and soot into the cooling system until the cooling system becomes vapor locked and over heats the engine. Remember, a gasoline engine is a big air pump. As you continue to drive it, That pressure needs to go somewhere and it more than likely increased the flaw in the head gasket as well as popped the top off your reservoir. I've seen radiator hoses blow. Not just the ends coming off, but violent eruptions along the side of the hose.

Any good shop will run the engine and check for exhaust gasses coming from the radiator filler opening. I highly suspect you'll need to rebuild the engine or at least, send the head out to get cleaned and decked before replacing the head gasket.

TJ FOR SALE
Unread 11-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #38
ob1korobi

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
The coolant in the radiator not being circulated would not super heat to the point of blowing the reservoir cap. In fact, it would be cooler than it would normally be when circulating.

What happens is that the head gasket develops a leak near the exhaust port, and slowly pushes exhaust gasses and soot into the cooling system until the cooling system becomes vapor locked and over heats the engine. Remember, a gasoline engine is a big air pump. As you continue to drive it, That pressure needs to go somewhere and it more than likely increased the flaw in the head gasket as well as popped the top off your reservoir. I've seen radiator hoses blow. Not just the ends coming off, but violent eruptions along the side of the hose.

Any good shop will run the engine and check for exhaust gasses coming from the radiator filler opening. I highly suspect you'll need to rebuild the engine or at least, send the head out to get cleaned and decked before replacing the head gasket.

Man. Well I hope it isn't the worst case scenario but I appreciate the feedback. Man. I found an old receipt for a rebuilt engine in the glovebox and it was dropped in in 2008.
Unread 11-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #39
ob1korobi

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I wanted to add. I checked the oil that same day and there was no indication of anything else other than oil in the engine. I definitely need to add oil/have an oil change though.
Unread 11-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #40
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Hopefully it turns out not that bad, but I was wondering if you would be able to snap some pics of your vaccum rooting. Because I am not completely convinced that mine is hooked up correctly.

Sent from Peggy's office
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2014, 09:54 AM   #41
ob1korobi

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmitOsiris View Post
Hopefully it turns out not that bad, but I was wondering if you would be able to snap some pics of your vaccum rooting. Because I am not completely convinced that mine is hooked up correctly.

Sent from Peggy's office
Never saw this post. Sorry Ammit. There are several threads here that have the correct routing for the 87 YJ. My routing is mostly correct but I have a few things blocked off and next weekend I am preparing to start a Nutter bypass. I passed smog recently so I think I am going to get it done.

Update on the rescue. I have really busy the last couple of months and she sat at my parents house not really doing much except becoming a nice habitat for spiders. In the last few weeks I was able to replace pretty much the entire cooling system (Radiator, thermostat, waterpump, hoses) with the exception of the reservoir. I have a new one on hand if I need it but it was in good shape. I learned a cool lesson and solved the problem of why the engine was not cooling since the install and that is, SERPENTINE BELT DRIVEN MOTORS REQUIRE A REVERSE WATERPUMP!. I had everything installed and the engine was starting up fine but the fluids were not circulating. Two hours later I was back from the auto parts store and had the correct waterpump installed.

So now we are cooling and the motor is sitting nicely at 200 degrees at idle.

Next issue, black wet soot coming out of tailpipe and the strong odor of fuel. I know I am running rich so I tuned the carb a little bit but the wet soot still continues to come out no matter what. My Dad is a pretty smart guy when it comes to vehicles and he suggested over most comments on the subject that it could be bad or worn rings on pistons. This would let oil through and that makes a lot of sense to me.

Not much else I could get done on Sunday without the parts shop being open so I removed the side windows and buffed the plastic clear, removed the cargo rack and all of the old seatbelt harnesses from the rear since I have no back seat. Then I swept her out and hosed the entire interior down. I don't think she has been this clean in many years. Clean is an overstatement but I am sure its an improvement.

I'll get pics up next weekend if I start the emissions/exhaust work.

I want to add that I really appreciate all of the input on this forum that I have found here over the last year and without it I would seriously be lost and this YJ would be a lawn ornament. Thanks.
Unread 06-02-2014, 12:01 PM   #42
ob1korobi

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Based on what it will probably involve with doing the valves I might end up ponying up for a tbi kit after this.
Unread 09-04-2014, 02:03 PM   #43
ob1korobi

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Wow. Hi JF. I have been lurking in my down time but I am still here. I recently moved to Sonoma and have had no time to work on this project. I finally was able to over the Labor Day weekend to do some labor. =]

The last I had left this, I was having all sorts of problems with the emissions and the motor was running way to rich. I had the black sooty exhaust and was pretty sure I had head gasket problems or needed to look at the valves and do some sort of overhaul. Before I decided to drop a fortune that I don't have into the motor, I took one last chance at getting a whole new carb and also doing a nutter bypass.

I purchased a MC2100 from Michael at Gronk on theBay. This thing is pretty awesome. Brand new, comes with a custom bracket to convert the bolt pattern, gaskets and air cleaner. Gronk also sends a bunch of directions and from what I read about other people's experiences, they are very thorough instructions. Almost too much info. It took me like 5 hours to do the bypass since I had so much other crap wrong under the hood I was constantly stripping new wires and soldering connections with things that didn't look up to snuff.

Initial startup, engine turned over and over and over but the bowl wouldn't fill on the carb. I think it just sat too long since I worked on it last and I didn't want to crank the starter that long and burn it out. A little bit of carb cleaner (Not condoning the use of this but it works for me) and it started right up. I let it run up to temperature, holds at 200 exactly. There is no soot in the exhaust whatsoever and I can't smell the strong odor of fuel. I have some clean up work to do under the hood with the old vacuum lines and also I need to tune the carb a little bit and hook up the choke but other than that I think she is about ready to get back on the road again.

Here is a little vid of my second startup. She sound niiiiiice!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqyt...ature=youtu.be
Unread 09-07-2014, 12:55 PM   #44
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Hey bro, I recently had same problem. Just know this, it won't pass smog out here in cali with no smog equipment

MAY THE SCHWARZ BE WITH YOU...
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2014, 09:47 AM   #45
ob1korobi

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmitOsiris View Post
Hey bro, I recently had same problem. Just know this, it won't pass smog out here in cali with no smog equipment

MAY THE SCHWARZ BE WITH YOU...
Thanks Sir. I rebuilt the old BBD and had it smogged after I bought it so I am pretty sure I am good to go. One of funny things about when it did pass smog before is, probably half of the vacuum lines were hooked up properly. The other funny thing is that the emissions it was putting out were better than a lot of modern cars out on the road today. That was from the tech that worked there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.