ob1korobi's YJ Rescue - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ob1korobi's YJ Rescue

Black Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHutBlack Friday Deals !JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!

Unread 09-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #16
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Does the sway bar even matter in an soa setup Joe?
Sure it does. Lots of us decide to toss it once the conversion is done to our expectations/likes. Naturally, using high quality parts and well dialed in.

On the other hand - lots of folks who like to daily drive there SOA Jeeps prefer to keep the swaybar, or a variation of the stock one & either altering the links, or remounting it so that the links are effective. Often converting it to disconnect style links to be used offroad.

I don't run a steering stabilizer either & have no issues with wobble, weird steering feedback, bumpsteer etc.

On mine, I used quality parts all around during the conversion & widened my Jeep which makes a difference. I have not ran a swaybar or either of the tracbars since 1997 & have not died yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1korobi View Post
I am assuming those are Rubicon Express (I googled that) and they are aftermarket when the lift was installed.

You can PM me. I learned a lot of slang and phrases from just a few years in the Air Force and from many friends of all branches but I have never heard of it. I must become educated.
Yep, RE = Rubicon Express. Those leafs are unlike any other "off-the-shelf" leafs that are specifically for a YJ. They were specifically designed to be used on a YJ in a SOA configuration. That's not to say they wouldn't work just fine in a SUA application or on a CJ SOA or SUA depending on the CJ spring width.

Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 11:03 PM   #17
ob1korobi

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I intend to make this a DD so I will be looking for a way to lock the swaybar up and away when I go offroad and then be able to reconnect when I am back on pavement. My friend did this with his Cherokee and it was still very convenient.
ob1korobi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 11:07 PM   #18
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1korobi View Post
I intend to make this a DD so I will be looking for a way to lock the swaybar up and away when I go offroad and then be able to reconnect when I am back on pavement. My friend did this with his Cherokee and it was still very convenient.
Finding that perfectly flat area to get it reconnected is a pain. I spend more time jumping on my buddy's driver fender trying to get these things reconnected than I do airing up all the tires in our group. All of us.
Unread 09-10-2013, 06:03 AM   #19
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Joe knows the yj suspensions. That is why I asked. If he is suggesting to put it in then I would listen. I know the angles all change and why I asked. I am not familiar with the soa setup.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #20
ob1korobi

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Joe knows the yj suspensions. That is why I asked. If he is suggesting to put it in then I would listen. I know the angles all change and why I asked. I am not familiar with the soa setup.
I definitely will take that bit of advice when I get to that part of the Jeep. Thank you Sirs.
Unread 09-12-2013, 11:51 PM   #21
ob1korobi

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Tomorrow night I am headed back up and Saturday is going to be a big work day. Removing the busted fog lights, roof rack, tearing out carpet. Replacing, reconnecting vacuum and fuel lines and checking ignition and distributor. That should make a small dent. Oh and washing it if I can get the pressure washer working.
Unread 09-13-2013, 02:27 AM   #22
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sub'd.. Well now we are having more and more people in the Bay Area

Sent from Peggy's office
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #23
ob1korobi

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmitOsiris View Post
Sub'd.. Well now we are having more and more people in the Bay Area

Sent from Peggy's office
Time to organize a trip. I am trying to get down to Panoche Hills around November after putting in a some good hours on this rescue. BLM space is nice that time of year.
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:39 PM   #24
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Nice Jeep.

The stock air cleaners have an internal section that is unpainted and is susceptible to condensation forming, promoting rust. The rust flakes get into the carb and plug things up: bingo, the BBD gets a bad (and undeserved) rep. Make sure this is not a problem on yours to prevent fugazying that nice rebuilt carb. I just run an aftermarket air cleaner.

Love the trailer.
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2013, 08:59 PM   #25
ob1korobi

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plym49 View Post
Nice Jeep.

The stock air cleaners have an internal section that is unpainted and is susceptible to condensation forming, promoting rust. The rust flakes get into the carb and plug things up: bingo, the BBD gets a bad (and undeserved) rep. Make sure this is not a problem on yours to prevent fugazying that nice rebuilt carb. I just run an aftermarket air cleaner.

Love the trailer.
Noted on the rust. I checked it out and it looks to be good to go.

I was able to get the vacuum lines hooked up but I have no idea where this line goes. It was just sitting in the engine compartment.

Basically, I reconnected everything the best I could with some of the threads I found here and some other tutorials online elsewhere. There is one port on the top of the air cleaner that I think this goes to but after that I don't know what it connects to. I have the very front port connected correctly and all ports underneath as well. I think this goes to some sort of fuel canister but that isn't in the Jeep anywhere. I think this might be why,

The right side is plugged with a screw. Was this an attempt by the PO to bypass something? It is the 10" vacuum switch and it is supposed to go to a vacuum reservoir and then to the carb. I cant find the reservoir and not sure how that ties in line to the carb. I'm kind of lost right now on this whole vacuum line thing but I will figure it out. I think I am just going to replace the whole air intake assembly altogether and get something a bit more, "modern". I want to be able to get this thing to pass emissions and be able to be registered so i can start driving it.

I also was able to tear the carpet out and my shop vac wasn't working so I just cleaned out what I could by hand.

Old dirty carpet

Capet out of here

You can see how much crap is in there. I need to get a pressure washer in there. That grime is just not going anywhere without some steam cleaning. The floor looks good though. rust is nill to minimal. That's all I got done this weekend. Another week of waiting.
Unread 09-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #26
ob1korobi

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Updated my post from yesterday. I should not update my thread with my phone after having several beers. That isn't a good combo.

I also wanted to post some pics of the hood ornament the PO had. I think I am going to keep it. Victor, the PO, named this after his dog, Argus. I don't know if it has any other meanings but that is what his Son told me anyway.

Unread 09-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #27
ob1korobi

1987 YJ Wrangler 

okay so this is the line that is not connected right now. This picture is from a 85 CJ but it is the same air cleaner as far as I know> it looks just like mine. I have circled the spot. Looks like that extra line I have goes there. But then where? LOL I think i just have looked at too many diagrams at this point.
00j0j_g64i2defblp_600x450.jpg

Unread 09-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #28
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1korobi
okay so this is the line that is not connected right now. This picture is from a 85 CJ but it is the same air cleaner as far as I know> it looks just like mine. I have circled the spot. Looks like that extra line I have goes there. But then where? LOL I think i just have looked at too many diagrams at this point.
Look at the bottom of your air cleaner, there should be a little metal deal. That has two nipples on it, goes on one of those I believe.. But I'm just as lost as you are. I've owned mine for 3+ years and still can't figure out how the darn vaccum lines go. IMO my lines are all fubared. Only reason I have em is the darn cali emissions.

Sent from Peggy's office
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #29
ob1korobi

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmitOsiris View Post
Look at the bottom of your air cleaner, there should be a little metal deal. That has two nipples on it, goes on one of those I believe.. But I'm just as lost as you are. I've owned mine for 3+ years and still can't figure out how the darn vaccum lines go. IMO my lines are all fubared. Only reason I have em is the darn cali emissions.

Sent from Peggy's office
Cool. Yea I just want to be able to pass smog. So basically the line goes from top of air cleaner to bottom. Or bottom to top. *sigh*. I might as well just hook it up.
Unread 09-18-2013, 01:07 AM   #30
ob1korobi

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Alright. I was clearly not reading my schematic right. Everything is hooked up and this YJ is purring and revving like a boss now. On to the rest of it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.