ob1korobi's YJ Rescue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ob1korobi's YJ Rescue

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 09-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
ob1korobi

1987 YJ Wrangler 

ob1korobi's YJ Rescue

Alright. here it goes. So I was able to get to my parents house over the weekend where the YJ I just picked up is going to be stored. Living in San Francisco there isn't anywhere to keep it and my Dad has this ultimate set of tools. (No he is not a tv repairman). I will update this as I go along but it has been a while since I have had my hands dirty inside of an engine of any vehicle so I am starting out slow. First project is a carb rebuild. Right now, she doesn't start up on her own without spraying a little carb cleaner or dumping some fuel in the intake. After that she purrs like she just rolled off the line in Ontario.

A Few Specs

1987 Wrangler YJ

4.2L with a Carter 2 BBD (Good rebuilding link here - http://www.4wdmechanix.com/Rebuildin...arburetor.html)

Mostly stock except for the lift and suspension and of course tires. There is a nice Tuffy box in the rear that will need a new lock, soundbar, new seats and center console. There is a high lift jack and winch up front and I wil need a winch controller at some point to get that functional. It needs a good cleaning and that is an understatement. There is also a nice trailer that needs some work and I have some good plans for it including a pop up tent and gear.

I will get better pics up but for now some phone pics while I had a chance..

Carb removed

Here I go

ob1korobi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The steering looks like it was set up properly.

Welcome to the neighborhood.
Unread 09-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #3
ob1korobi

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
The steering looks like it was set up properly.

Welcome to the neighborhood.
Thanks Sir.
Unread 09-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #4
ob1korobi

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I made some progress over the weekend. The weather was so nice that it was hard to be hunched over a front end tinkering. I decided to break down the carb again and double/triple check everything before bolting it back on. As it was getting dark I put the carb on and connected as many vaccum lines that I could figure out and gave it a test start. Started right up! then my Dad's friend yelled to turn it off because he saw fuel spraying out of the soft line rigged to a hard line on the inlet. Fixing things always seems to bring up more problems but that is life. I am just glad that I put the carb back together correctly and that it functions. If only I had the Jeep at my place I would spend every day on this thing.
Unread 09-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I was based in Mare Island for a couple years. Great area and lots of fun. I hope the Carb stuff on the Jeep is up to snuff. It cost me my VW in SoCal after I modified the engine for Baha and tried plating it! It looks like you are off to a good start. You have lots of possibilities. Where did you get the Jeep and how many bones did it cost?
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #6
ob1korobi

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
I was based in Mare Island for a couple years. Great area and lots of fun. I hope the Carb stuff on the Jeep is up to snuff. It cost me my VW in SoCal after I modified the engine for Baha and tried plating it! It looks like you are off to a good start. You have lots of possibilities. Where did you get the Jeep and how many bones did it cost?
My Dad was stationed at MI for a stint as well back in the late 80s. When were you in? He was all over the country though as aircrew on CH-53s for most of his carreer.

The Jeep was from a friend of my Dad's who recently passed away. His Son wanted to keep it among friends. He wanted $1,500 for it and said he was never going to work on it or had intentions because he was not very handy with that sort of thing.
Unread 09-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I was on a sub from 82-88 same as your Dad, 83-83 at MINSY and 85-88 in SanDiego. Man that makes me feel old knowing I am as old as your Dad! Was he based at Selfridge? Your friend gave it to you at that price. Drive it with pride knowing he gave you a part of something his father loved. If you need help you will find it here
Unread 09-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
ob1korobi

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have a young family. My Dad is just turning 50. I am 32 myself. I know he did SERE in Maine, was with HM-15 and HM-18 in Norfolk (Mine Countermeasures), Mare Island and Coronado after that.

I know the value of forums like these and I am proud to help support it with whatever projects I start and share as much as I can.
Unread 09-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #9
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome aboard. Dang - I was stationed at Mare Island as well (Combat Systems Technical School Command, (CSTSC)), from '85 - '86 while in "C" school on 3-D Hill. Yea, I'm a retired sailor.

BOT: Looks like its SOA with a crossover steering conversion.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #10
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Joe! Its a small world! Do any upside down Margaritas at the Horse and Cow? I see the old docks on Myth Busters. Good times. I understand it is pretty bad there now.
Unread 09-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #11
ob1korobi

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Welcome aboard. Dang - I was stationed at Mare Island as well (Combat Systems Technical School Command, (CSTSC)), from '85 - '86 while in "C" school on 3-D Hill. Yea, I'm a retired sailor.

BOT: Looks like its SOA with a crossover steering conversion.
Time for a reunion. Actually just over the weekend one of his crew mates rode up from LA. They had not seen each other in probably 20 years. I love hearing the stories. Have you ever heard of Bushjumping? They wouldn't elaborate at the dinner table.

Yes, BOT. I have not really looked at the steering and suspension yet. i am pretending like everything is fine and dandy. The swaybar is disconnected right now too and zip tied above.
Unread 09-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #12
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Joe! Its a small world! Do any upside down Margaritas at the Horse and Cow? I see the old docks on Myth Busters. Good times. I understand it is pretty bad there now.
I can neither confirm, nor deny.

A friend/instructor of mine married the daughter of the owner of H&C (or something like that). I can't remember his name but at the time he was an FCC. I'll remember his name as soon as I post this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1korobi View Post
Time for a reunion. Actually just over the weekend one of his crew mates rode up from LA. They had not seen each other in probably 20 years. I love hearing the stories. Have you ever heard of Bushjumping? They wouldn't elaborate at the dinner table.

Yes, BOT. I have not really looked at the steering and suspension yet. i am pretending like everything is fine and dandy. The swaybar is disconnected right now too and zip tied above.
Oh, bushjumping we probably shouldn't speak on that topic on here. Its classified.
Unread 09-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #13
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

BOT: Now that I look a little closer - it appears you have the RE 1.5" SOA springs, which is a good thing.
Unread 09-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #14
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Does the sway bar even matter in an soa setup Joe?
Unread 09-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #15
ob1korobi

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
BOT: Now that I look as little closer - it appears you have the RE 1.5" SOA springs, which is a good thing.
I am assuming those are Rubicon Express (I googled that) and they are aftermarket when the lift was installed.

Quote:
Oh, bushjumping we probably shouldn't speak on that topic on here. Its classified.
You can PM me. I learned a lot of slang and phrases from just a few years in the Air Force and from many friends of all branches but I have never heard of it. I must become educated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.