O2 sensor should or should not be connected to ?? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > O2 sensor should or should not be connected to ??

Bilstein Blowout Sale - 4 5100 Series Shocks $309.99 shippSALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 03-27-2013, 08:38 AM   #16
YJ-dimi
1994 YJ Wrangler 

QUOTE=Que89YJ;15201564]YJ-dimi did you do a battery reset? The PCM stores info and you need to clear it. Also after running rich that long you might want to clean out the IAC. I bet its carboned up pretty good.[/QUOTE]

Hey, yea the battery is always disconnected while it sit through winter. I thought an 8 hour battery disconnect is good enough to clear the memory without any tricks. i think one week will defenitely clear out the memory.

I'll take it out next time i change oils, as i don't have idling issues at the moment. but a good tip is always welcome.

YJ-dimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 05:10 AM   #17
YJ-dimi
1994 YJ Wrangler 

after some driving i have considerable improvement of fuel economy. last fill-up i got an average of 13.3L/100km which is around 17.6MPG compared to 14.1MPG without the O2 sensor. . thanks for the help.
Unread 06-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #18
bchap05
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I changed my o2 a week or so ago. I had the tire shop pop it loose for free while rotating my tires so it was easy change took 5 minutes. I was going to reset the computer but never ended up doing it. Jeep runs smoother and better than it ever has since I've had it. Will the computer by now have retrained itself or should I still reset at this point still?
bchap05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #19
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchap05 View Post
I changed my o2 a week or so ago. I had the tire shop pop it loose for free while rotating my tires so it was easy change took 5 minutes. I was going to reset the computer but never ended up doing it. Jeep runs smoother and better than it ever has since I've had it. Will the computer by now have retrained itself or should I still reset at this point still?
It likely relearned by now and is acting upon the new values. An ECU reset will help with the first three full drive cycles. I bet by now it is no longer worth doing.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #20
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You should always reset the computer after changing a sensor. They weren't that smart back then, compared to the newer ones. It only takes a minute to disconnect the battery for a few seconds.
Unread 06-28-2013, 07:38 AM   #21
YJ-dimi
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchap05 View Post
i don't know if these era jeep ecu re-train themself but it doesn't hurt the ecu for sure. mine spends more time off-juice then on during the year and in the meantime between trips i always disconnect the negative lead with a quick disconnect. very efficient way to preserve your battery over time and it prevents empty battery. i've read at least an 8 hour disconnect would clear the memory.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.