O2 sensor question??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > O2 sensor question???

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 09-04-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
qewbawl
1995 YJ Wrangler 

O2 sensor question???

Sup people!

So I have a pretty simple/stupid question. I am having my transmission rebuilt and will be putting it back in sometime this week. However, once I do, I was told that replacing the o2 sensor would be a good idea. So, I looked around and found a variety of o2 sensors to choose from.

At Autozone, I found o2 sensors ranging from $40 (Bosch) - $500 (performance o2sensors).

My question:

1. Besides the price, what are the differences?

2. Are they worth it?

3. Do they TRULLY make a difference?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

-Q

qewbawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 08:39 PM   #2
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I would stick with the Bosch. In many cases they were what the factory used for the sensors and they have tended to be reliable for me. There's no way to justify some $500 sensor on the jeep, IMHO - those are aimed at hotter engines overall, and a simple sensor swap won't make that kind of difference.

oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #3
qewbawl
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtime_ironman
I would stick with the Bosch. In many cases they were what the factory used for the sensors and they have tended to be reliable for me. There's no way to justify some $500 sensor on the jeep, IMHO - those are aimed at hotter engines overall, and a simple sensor swap won't make that kind of difference.

Yeah, I wasn't planning on spending $500 on a sensor, I would rather put that money into something else. I was just curious as to why the difference in price is so drastic. I kinda figured the more expensive ones were geared more for some extreme engines.

Thanks!
Unread 09-04-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

One is an upgrade kit that you'll never need and the other is the $40 part that you should go buy.
Unread 09-04-2011, 09:01 PM   #5
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by qewbawl View Post
Yeah, I wasn't planning on spending $500 on a sensor, I would rather put that money into something else. I was just curious as to why the difference in price is so drastic. I kinda figured the more expensive ones were geared more for some extreme engines.

Thanks!
Most likely the price difference is due to the small market volume combined with the engineering required on that expensive unit. Chances are that it was meant for corvettes and honda turbos or something.

oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 09:06 PM   #6
qewbawl
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman
One is an upgrade kit that you'll never need and the other is the $40 part that you should go buy.
I like the way you put it - its very true.

Thanks.
Unread 09-04-2011, 09:09 PM   #7
qewbawl
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtime_ironman

Most likely the price difference is due to the small market volume combined with the engineering required on that expensive unit. Chances are that it was meant for corvettes and honda turbos or something.

Well, I don't see any Corvette engines going in the Jeep so, I they cankeep their $500 o2 sesnsors! :-)

Thanks.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.