Nv 3550 On 4 Angry Squirrels. - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Nv 3550 On 4 Angry Squirrels.

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 05-18-2009, 03:24 PM   #151
bigredcherokee
1992 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/ax-15-internal-external-slave-cylinder-clutch-line-write-up-592098/

take a look at this. This is what I did from Advanced adapters

Unread 05-18-2009, 03:34 PM   #152
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredcherokee View Post
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=592098

take a look at this. This is what I did from Advanced adapters
Thank you. I will be reading this whole thread tonight at work also. Thanks again.
Unread 05-19-2009, 01:16 AM   #153
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

.....and yes, that plastic "pad" under the metal part on the external slave just clips off, but you already knew that.....

I suppose if you found you needed further throw of the external slave, you could remove the plastic pad and it would gain you almost 3/32 throw. I imagine it will take a lot of careful measuring and calculating so that your TO bearing isn't always up against the pressure plate fingers and either spinning, or also decreasing clutch plate clamping pressure. It isn't really a simple process to be able to see up inside the bellhousing unless you happen to have a surplus video endoscope laying around or something similar.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2009, 01:35 AM   #154
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
.....and yes, that plastic "pad" under the metal part on the external slave just clips off, but you already knew that.....

I suppose if you found you needed further throw of the external slave, you could remove the plastic pad and it would gain you almost 3/32 throw. I imagine it will take a lot of careful measuring and calculating so that your TO bearing isn't always up against the pressure plate fingers and either spinning, or also decreasing clutch plate clamping pressure. It isn't really a simple process to be able to see up inside the bellhousing unless you happen to have a surplus video endoscope laying around or something similar.
No, no surplus video endoscope hanging around the house.
I think it is going to be the opposite problem of the bearing up against the pressure plate spinning, I would think. I will try it as it is when the time comes, with the shim on the front of the slv. cyl. Majority have had no problem with it.
Unread 05-19-2009, 09:06 AM   #155
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshinefuel View Post
czjeeper, you mentioned you did the conversion earlier in the thread. You also used the dakota bell housing as well right? I know you have the ax15, and your slv. cyl. is the same design as mine? And you are getting enough engagement as well from the pin to release arm as well, how is everything working out? Good I imagine. I am thinking the pin" on the slv. cyl. has a good range on it to make up for the distance travel for the release arm. It is a bit further due to retaining the stock pressure plate.
That is correct.
I just bought a slave from NAPA and it came w/out the line. I drove the retaining pin out from the one I had, bled the slave, and installed on my line.
From what I've read, the reason people had to modify the push rod was because of the length of the "pivot stud" on the bellhousing.
I don't have ANY issues with shifting or engagement/disengagement.
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2009, 09:23 AM   #156
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ahh, see now that is good information! On post #110, I found mine to rise just about 1 3/8 inches above the cast. I don't suppose you could shed a little more light on this as far as which height was problematic? That would be great if you could.
Unread 05-19-2009, 03:52 PM   #157
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

One thing I did not mention yet was the fact that I am buying bolts right now. I bought 4 so far. This the size that is working to bolt the dakota bell housing to the nv3550 transmission. I have no idea if the ax5 bell housing bolts will work. I have not tried it. I found them at Lowe's Hardware. I think they are $1.75 a bolt. M10-1.25 x 30.
dscn0891.jpg  

Last edited by moonshinefuel; 07-02-2009 at 08:57 AM..
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2009, 04:26 PM   #158
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

There are different shifter handles for the NV3550. Basically 03 and newer has the cylindrical shaped mount for the handle. The version before this like mine, has the square shape, (2000-2002). These are the part numbers from Advance Adapters for ordering.
The bottom picture is my transmission. I called A.A. and was told to send them a picture of my transmission, and they would send me the shifter for it. Well, I sent them a picture, and they sent me a shifter, but it is for the 03 and up trans. I received the knob too. The knob looks right though, but the knobs are probably all the same. If I had this info I would have just gave them the part number and had them send me the part. It's no big deal, a little annoying but that's how mail ordering goes sometimes and A.A. is a very good company to deal with. No time to post the shifter I received today. But I can at least post these part numbers.
dscn0999.jpg  

Last edited by moonshinefuel; 07-02-2009 at 08:59 AM..
Unread 05-23-2009, 04:33 PM   #159
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My square shaped transmission mount for handle.
dscn0643.jpg  

Last edited by moonshinefuel; 07-02-2009 at 09:00 AM..
Unread 05-24-2009, 10:12 AM   #160
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Pictures of the shifter I received. Really nice quality. Looks like Mopar Factory stuff to me. TJ handle and knob. Will be sending the handle back out Tuesday, and maybe the non-bleedable slave to, for credit on something else, like an s.y.e. kit.
dscn1003.jpg   dscn1000.jpg   dscn1001.jpg  
Unread 05-25-2009, 01:18 PM   #161
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

At Harbor Freight Tools today, I came across two unexpected finds. The Clutch Pilot Tool Set for $6.99, which will work great because I am retaining my original clutch except the disc and pilot, and this kit will work great for this conversion as the ax5 clutch your going to get the wrong clutch pilot tool with it.
I can say I have pulled more than a few transmissions, and you usually have fluid draining out of the transmission due to taking off the drive shaft, and leaking all over the place. This Transmission Stop Off Tool I found also at Harbor Freight for $3.99 should keep that from happening. I didn't know these existed.
The Lock Ring Pliers I bought today, they were the most expensive at $16.99 from Kragen Auto Parts. I can tell you though, dealing with Lock Rings with small snap ring pliers is no fun, and this set of pliers looks like it is going to save me a lot of grief when putting my transfer case back together.
I am posting these tools because I feel they are relevant to the job and quite possibly may make your life a lot easier if you don't have them.
dscn1006.jpg  

Last edited by moonshinefuel; 07-02-2009 at 08:53 AM..
Unread 05-31-2009, 04:29 PM   #162
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

At Napa today. Received specs. on the clutch disc RCF584.
I will be ordering tomorrow from the Denver Warehouse as this is the location they could find the disc. Denver has it in stock there. 42.00 dollars, plus tax plus 10.00 shipping. About 58.00 dollars total.
As czjeeper mentioned in post #9 this is the disc he went with. I like better than the 4 cyl. application version.
I did return the slv. cyl. kit as well as the wrong shifter from Advance Adapters, and will be going with pre-bled set up.
I did order the new shifter handle and that should be in tomorrow.
Things are progressing.
dscn1008.jpg  

Last edited by moonshinefuel; 07-02-2009 at 08:52 AM..
Unread 06-01-2009, 01:25 AM   #163
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The reason I wanted to get the specs. before buying the Napa disc was I wanted to review it a little closer at work tonight. Well, I did and it looks like even though the application for the Napa disc is for a larger displacement engine, it appears the two discs are exactly the same, as to illustrate, the top photo is the autozone disc CP4198, (4cyl. Camaro) The 2nd one down is the from the Napa photo spec. page (RCF584). Unless there is something different with the springs, or something I am missing here.
I know of the Centerforce disc that is applicable also, p/n 383824, but I have not seen a graphic for that one yet.
Update, edit in, picture of Centerforce picture 3rd image down. Definitely can see what appears to be a better quality disc. Though at a price, not uncommon to see an asking price of $106.00 for the disc alone online. I did see it as cheap as $75.13 here: Centerforce 383824 Clutch Disc Size 9 1/8 in. 10 Spline By 1 1/8 in.
Bottom picture is another version of the Autozone cp4198, a different supplier that Autozone uses apparantly to get the same part number.
dscn0522.jpg   dscn1022.jpg   ctf-383271.jpg   disc.jpg  

Last edited by moonshinefuel; 09-14-2009 at 10:12 AM..
Unread 06-01-2009, 10:53 AM   #164
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Shifter arrived today from Advance Adapters. Looks like the right one.
dscn1023.jpg  
Unread 06-09-2009, 11:56 AM   #165
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Top picture, shifter on transmission. Fits perfectly. Excellent quality from Advance Adapters.
2nd picture down, got all the bolts needed for the bell housing to transmission. I personally used lock washers on top of flat washers, not sure if the original application used lock washers or not, just the way I am doing it. Now I just have to tighten them down.
I should be able to reuse the bell housing to engine bolts. Should be the same.
The dust cover/shield, should work also, between the bell housing and the engine. Will reuse that.
3rd picture down, Advance Adapters p/n 715545. This looks like what I need for my transfer case shifter bracket, the ax5 bolt pattern is different for this bracket, but I have heard of some fabricating the ax5 bracket and making it work. http://advanceadapters.com/product/2...er-cases).html ] Price $41.40
dscn1075.jpg   dscn1080.jpg   bracket.jpg  

Last edited by moonshinefuel; 06-09-2009 at 12:08 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.