Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Nv 3550 On 4 Angry Squirrels.

80K views 337 replies 21 participants last post by  Mr.ThunderMakeR 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok. I am starting my new thread that will re-appear from time to time to chart my progress, and or set backs, or complete withdrawal from this project all together. However, I will put my best foot forward with pictures and give it my best shot. If I do withdraw, I will state why, and give notice. But I do not plan on doing that, and my progress will be over a period of time. There are kits out there for sale to do this, so I am following their guidelines, only I am buying my own parts that they list to do it, to save money of course. And I have a major part of the list of things needed already. So, I am starting my thread to start monitoring my own progress and take notes for myself. This application works for ax15 transmissions as well, however, I happened to stumble across a new nv3550 for an excellent price, so I jumped on it, and that is what I am using. I hope this is of interest to all of us blessed 2.5 owners as most of you 4.0 owners are probably just going to shake their collective heads side to side and ask, "why doesn't he just swap to a 4.0?" The answer is, all the things I have make it more cost effective to just stick with my 2.5. I already have the necessary 96-98 dakota bell housing, for 2.5 to mate with the ax15 as they did with the dakota pick ups back then, and it will also work with the nv 3550 as I am using. I have the new NV 3550 transmission, I have the 23 spline np231j dated 1997 that is necessary to work with the trans. as the one on it I have now is a 21 spline. I just bought the clutch disc that is needed to work with my original clutch. p/n cp4198 (autozone) 9 1/8 o.d. but splines to match my nv 3550. I am going to order from Advance Adaptors a pilot bushing p/n (716167) nv4500, and a slave kit p/n (716340) that is said to work with my jeep hopefully tomorrow. The pressure plate and flywheel are also new as well as the Timkin throwout bearing. I do plan on putting a slip yoke eliminator kit, jb conversions, and obviously a new rear drive shaft. Not sure what kind yet. I need it as the new transmission casting is 2 inches longer than the ax5. Well, let me get started with something I really don't like what I see already..This is the disc required to work with the original clutch. the o.d. looks right, the splines look right, but, I noticed the side view angle, the spline column for the ax5 disc appears to be taller. I haven't measured it, but that's what it looks like. My first thought is just to add a properly sized washer to make up for the difference but I am not sure about that yet, or even if this really matters. But I need to know. This clutch disc is an application originally for a 4 cyl. camaro, 1984.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Ok, here is my 231j. This one came with this protective shield. I tried using a long arm puller but only succeeded in bending the metal. So, I took it down to a shop today, the guy looks at it, and takes out a chisel and hammer and just pushed and cut the metal shield without even damaging the shaft with the chisel in about 30 seconds. He didn't want to accept money but I gave him cash for lunch anyways. That was great. I don't have my snap ring pliers with me, so disassembly for inspection is going to have to wait until tomorrow. And thanks for the positive feedback guys. That is a motivator.

Attachments

#8 ·
That is great news! I bought the autozone clutch disc p/n cp4198.

There are two others I know of to work:

Napa (p/n) rcf 4198
and
Centerforce (p/n) 383824

You would help me greatly if you could remember exactly which clutch disc you used. Please pass on when you get the chance. Thank you.

#13 ·
Thank you for this. Do you remember what that part number for the disc you are using was originally applied to? What engine and vehicle? My clutch disc at top of thread is going back, I don't think I will be using it. Your NAPA# RCF584, looks like a good candidate, is it holding up well? What torque arm bracket did you request at the dealer, what year, etc. as I am sure they are going to ask. Thanks.

#11 · (Edited)
#12 ·
That was a route I was considering going as well. It is a great kit for the ax15, and probably the overall best way to go. I did call them a few months back, they told me they don't have the adapter plate for the nv 3550 because it has a protrusion above the bearing retainer on the front of my transmission that won't allow the plate to fit over it but it will work for the ax 15. Thank you for the thread. To be noted, I am not a fan of the camaro clutch disc either, there is a better disc for my application, and am not going to use the one on the top of my thread. I am most certain of that.

#14 ·
That disc was a passenger car 6 cyl disc from the '60s.
It's worked just fine. It was for a 6 cylinder, and the 4 banger would need to work pretty hard to top that!
The torque arm bracket from the dealership needed to be ordered. It was for the same year YJ as mine, but for the 6 cyl.
My skid did not need to be notched for the bracket bolts, but some older YJ's need that.
Some people say that they needed to extend the push rod in the slave cyl, but mine has worked perfectly.
Plan on notching the floor board for the TC shifter, and it needs to be from the year of transmission you are installing, or you will need to elongate the bracket holes to make it work.
Also, make sure you have a shifter for your trans, the AX5 shifter won't work.

#16 ·
The NV 3550 I will be installing. You can see the protrusion I was talking about above the bearing retainer. It is different than the ax 15, the kit A.A. sells I was told wont work due to that. They may have manufactured a new design since the the last time I have spoke with them, not sure. The bolt patterns are the same as the ax 15's, dimensions, etc. The characteristic front bearing retainer is smaller than the ax 15's.

Attachments

#20 · (Edited)
These are cast numbers on the bell housing, I believe you can google the 5 digit number and it should lead you to finding out exactly what year this bell housing was, and to what, this will help you identify if you wish to to the same conversion I am currently in the process of. 1996 through 1998 will work.

Attachments

#22 ·
I will be using the same clutch required for my year, and chose the Timken throwout bearing. Hopefully it will last longer. The same clutch fork and slave cylinder will also be retained. The clutch disc will be different as the splines are different on the nv 3550.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.