Nuttered Out!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Nuttered Out!!!

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
busnasty
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Nuttered Out!!!

A few weeks ago posted about having issues after nutter bypass. !990 Jeep Yj with Carter Carb wants to start but wont turn over. I was told to replace the ICM, which I did. Completed the nutter bypass, soldered the wires. Still wont turn over. It ran before I attempted the nutter bypass. Any ideas?? Could the carb be bad or the dizzy? I am losing my mind.

busnasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Try grounding the black wire that runs from the icm to a bolt below the distributor directly to the negative battery terminal.

Theoretically, it could be the coil or the distributor. You might try to clean up the connections on the coil.

Confirm that it is no spark, that will eliminate the carburetor.

Otherwise, go through the Nutter instructions again and make sure you did it right. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ho...bypass-522262/
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Your snap on connector on top of the coil may be bad . These are the connections the above post is referring to. Replacement is cheap from NAPA.

And add a dedicated ground to the black wire in the 3 wire harness coming from the dizzy
Unread 06-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
busnasty
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I will try running the a new ground from both the dizzy and icm. the coil is new and I bought a new connector. I will make sure that all the connections are good and run the grounds. Fingers crossed.
Unread 06-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

And your timing is right? Not 180 out?
Unread 06-02-2013, 08:08 AM   #6
SLCSmoker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Does the motor even turn over? As in crank.. if not its probably your starter solenoid or starter motor (does the solenoid click?). If it DOES turn over but wont start that's a whole different story.
SLCSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #7
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by busnasty View Post
I will try running the a new ground from both the dizzy and icm. the coil is new and I bought a new connector. I will make sure that all the connections are good and run the grounds. Fingers crossed.
The dizzy doesn't need a ground. The ground at the dizzy is for the ICM. And the case of the ICM is isolated, it does not suooly ground to anything.
Unread 06-02-2013, 08:26 AM   #8
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

And it wouldn't hurt to throw 5 gallons of gas in the tank just to make sure. It is not uncommon to be out of gas and still show 1/2 full on gauge.
Unread 06-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #9
busnasty
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It turns over but wont start. I am going to check the timing and make sure I don't have it 180 out. Would cylinder 3 fire the same as cylinder #1 for timing purposes? Checking cylinder 1 is a pain in the a$$ since I still have the ac in there.
I will try to add some gas as well. Willing to do anything at this point.
Unread 06-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #10
SLCSmoker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If it worked before the Nutter but not now, double check you did the nutter correctly. I ended up running new wires directly from the ICM to the dizzy in the end, saves opening up that wiring harness. Have you checked for a spark? You'll be able to smeel if your getting fuel, or pull a spark plug and see if its wet.
SLCSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #11
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCSmoker
If it worked before the Nutter but not now, double check you did the nutter correctly. I ended up running new wires directly from the ICM to the dizzy in the end, saves opening up that wiring harness. Have you checked for a spark? You'll be able to smeel if your getting fuel, or pull a spark plug and see if its wet.
I did them same as SLC. Running new wires saves yourself a headache.
CBinDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #12
busnasty
1990 YJ Wrangler 

fellas, few weeks ago I posted on my not so great efforts with my nutter bypass. I have done everything. Ran new grounds, soldered the wires, checked the coil connector, pulled spark plug which smelled like fuel...still no start. Cranks like crazy and wants to start but just wont fire up. Have adjusted the timing and I am 99% sure it is correct. I never removed the distributor so that should help too. I have even replaced the ICM.
I followed step by step the nutter bypass, which really isnt too complicated. Does anyone have any clue whats going on?
Unread 07-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #13
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Have you confirmed you don't have any spark at all?
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #14
SamzJeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Did you get it started? If not, have checked/replaced the ignition module? When I did my nutter, the exact same thing happened to me (cranked but no start/no spark). It ended up being the ignition module. Replaced that and it started right up and has been running great since then (couple of years now). Good luck!
Unread 07-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #15
busnasty
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I actually purchased a new ICM and tried it and still had same crank no start issue. I just picked up another ICM from someone who took it out of their jeep when they did an engine conversation. Jeep ran previously before he parted it out. Going to try to get it started by de-nuttering the engine. Connecting all orginal wires the way they were before. If starts that either I messed up the nutter (which I really dont think i did) or its the ICM. If it doesnt start I am thinking of pushing it off a near by bridge.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.