Nutter issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Nutter issues

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
stilllearning6
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Nutter issues

Using the instructions at

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ho...bypass-522262/

The 258 BBD carb metering pins were set to full rich .
Stepper disconnected.

Did the purple / orange wiring splice to bypass emission box.

Changed from manifold vacuum to ported vacuum .

Jeep fired up somewhat AOK , idled very rough .

Timing has been troublesome.
No timing light in hand . Trying by ear until I can get a good timing light .

Prior timing appeared to be very far advanced already as the vacuum advance outlet tube was pushed up against the engine block .

It would have been impossible to turn distrib more counter clockwise . Could not advance any more.

By default , I turned distrib clockwise , as if to retard .
This is opposite to Nutter directions , I believe.
Engine idled at poor level , but it would idle.
I figured that adjusting timing would resolve all .

Result - rough idle , burping . Acceleration while parked seemed AOK yet...
when I release pedal , the engine backfires and stumbles and rocks and sounds as if it would explode. Dangerous looking , sounding.
After 30 seconds, idle smooths out a bit , but still not great.
I can not drive this out of the driveway .

I suspect that timing during deceleration is way off.

Any comments ?

I will have to do this by ear until a timing light is available.

stilllearning6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Get a timing light. Unless you really know what you are doing, you can't time it by ear.

AFTER you get the base timing set right, you can experiment with adjusting the vacuum advance and/or switching it back to manifold vacuum.

Also, see these instructions which say it is better to put the needles in the middle. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ho...bypass-522262/

You can try using a vacuum gauge to set the timing instead (search for how), but you should just buck up and get a timing light.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
stilllearning6
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Dancytron-
I agree that timing light is best. I had an old 1972 style w/o induction and did not have the proper adaptors.
Can you comment on the rotation of the distributor?

It was my understanding that counter clockwise turning will advance the timing .
It is maxed out at counterclockwise rotation and the vac adv hits the engine block with the OEM setup.

After doing Nutter and having issues , I reverted to OEM wiring /vac adv .

The BBD carb metering pins will respond to adjusting the air/fuel mix screws.

it is 90 plus degrees and I am considering waiting for cooler temps if I can make it .
Thank you for your input .
stilllearning6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

You will find manifold vacuum gives better drivability and gas mileage.

If you can't get enough adjustment on your dizzy, you may have to re-install one tooth over.

Most folks have better luck setting the metering pins at the mid point instead of full rich.

A timing light, a vacuum gauge and a multi-meter are absolutely must haves for YJ owners.
Unread 07-16-2013, 11:05 PM   #5
packdog
2001 XJ Cherokee 

No vacuum advance

Try running it with no vacuum advance. Disconnect the vacuum hose to the distributor and plug it. See how it runs.

I am having a similar problem with my own jeep and the only way it will run is with the vacuum disconnected. I can get it started and set the timing with the vacuum disconnected, but as soon as I connect it and try to get it above idle I get the backfiring (both through carb and through exhaust).
packdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 06:39 AM   #6
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilllearning6 View Post
Dancytron-
I agree that timing light is best. I had an old 1972 style w/o induction and did not have the proper adaptors.
If you have an older pre-induction timing light, it is easy to use with these ignitions.

Just take a paperclip and bend it so it fits down in the distributor cap where the #1 wire attaches. Have it hang out when the wire is back on. Just hook your pickup lead to the end of the paperclip. Works great. My Sun timing light was made in the mid 60s, still using it today.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.