Nutter Bypass and Weber Carb - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-16-2008, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
usmcwrangler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Nutter Bypass and Weber Carb

I replaced my stock carb on my 88 Wrangler with a Weber carb. That carb cuts the emission controls totally. Is the Nutter still needed?

On another note, any tips on passing a Cali smog test? I failed miserably last time I tried. Apparently I'm a "gross polluter" of California!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-17-2008, 06:36 AM
spshultz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yes. The computer still controls timing. I was having major issues with pinging. I Nuttered it and it's running muuuuuch better.

If you decide to Nutter it, here's a tip; make sure you definitely twist the two wires together just like the stock wires are. This is so that IF there is a lot of noise in the engine area due to bad wires, plugs, coil, etc the wires will be less likely to pick up on it. Basically it just helps with noise interference.

In my case I Nuttered first and then will be replacing the BBD carb with an MC2150 once it gets here and also doing the Team Rush mod at the same time.

I won't be able to help with the California emissions unfortunately. I just don't know how strict they are during their "visual" inspection if there is one at all.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-17-2008, 06:46 AM
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

your out of luck trying to pass CA emmissions with a weber carb. must be completly stock or switch to a CARB approved fuel injection, either howell or mopar.

post #4 of 9 Old 09-17-2008, 06:55 AM
kharmajavah
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcwrangler View Post
I replaced my stock carb on my 88 Wrangler with a Weber carb. That carb cuts the emission controls totally. Is the Nutter still needed?

On another note, any tips on passing a Cali smog test? I failed miserably last time I tried. Apparently I'm a "gross polluter" of California!
Get ready to put that Carter back on. You'll never pass the visual in California. It's got to be everything intact, completely stock.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-17-2008, 09:50 AM
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharmajavah View Post
Get ready to put that Carter back on. You'll never pass the visual in California. It's got to be everything intact, completely stock.
So I have a questionm Im not from Cali and have never been, BUT if you guys are running your rigs on the street, of course tey have to pass air care or whatever you have, but what if its a trailored rig to the trail, does it still have to pass...?

man I could not imagine running with my carter still...

Started with some rust repairs ended in a SOA...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
post #6 of 9 Old 09-17-2008, 11:01 AM
JaikYJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

In california after your vehicle reaches a certain age isnt it considered a classic and the rules and regulations differ? I would still get rid of the carter is a pile. Best of luck.

87 YJ(sold), 97 TJ(sold), 99 TJ(daily)
03 R1 (fun)68 Mustang Coupe(summer)
67 Fastback(resto)
post #7 of 9 Old 09-17-2008, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
usmcwrangler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thankfully, I don't have to pass the full California smog test. I'm stationed in California but the jeep is registered in Florida. Thanks for the help.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-20-2008, 12:31 AM
the_barbarian
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thankfully, I don't have to pass the full California smog test. I'm stationed in California but the jeep is registered in Florida. Thanks for the help.
smart..

FWIW and for those of you in positions to use this info. Vt state is VERY reasonable for registrations. i live in NY, and NY wouldn't work with me to get the title taken care of, so i went to VT, explained the situation and walked out 30 minutes later with new plates in hand.

i have to go back next thurs for the inspection, and must get VT insurance to go with it, but i'll let y'all know how that works out. this is legal, and if you can make it to VT for the yearly inspection, it is much easier than MANY more nanny states are...

all that said, i would have preferred to get it registered in NY, but those are the brakes,, NY likes to slit its own throat that way..

Proud owner of 5 jeeps, and certified JEEP Junkie. newest acquisition and current project (read money-pit); 1987 Wrangler Laredo, hard top, leather seats, custom Woodland Camo, 4.2 I6, 5 SP stick, 4X4 (of course).
post #9 of 9 Old 09-20-2008, 07:00 AM
kharmajavah
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That's good news...I think you could probably stick a V-8 on a shopping cart register it here in Florida

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.