Nutter Bypass Jeep Won't Start 88 Yj - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Nutter Bypass Jeep Won't Start 88 Yj

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsComplete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.com

Unread 01-03-2010, 11:45 PM   #16
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teejay409 View Post
Timatoe I do realize the ramifications of the bypass, I've heard that people have still had luck passing smog inspections even after the bypass. I can only hope.
Mine ran cleaner bypassed.

timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 08:14 AM   #17
Xtremjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
XTremjeep, I was told to T into the wires and run jumpers from there so maybe thats my problem and I didn't want to solder the wires until I was sure that I had this correct.

Dodger as I've said before this is the current setup that I am running. I was concerned about the two orange going through the firewall because those were the instructions to follow, I didn't want to miss anthing.

Timatoe I do realize the ramifications of the bypass, I've heard that people have still had luck passing smog inspections even after the bypass. I can only hope.
DO NOT T the connections. Cut and make your jumpers. follow the instructions. fix all your other wiring then solder the connections.

1980 CJ-7 Mall crawler (RIP 2010)
1983 CJ-8 Scrambler Full resto in progress
1988 YJ Fully Built but never Done

Xtremjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 08:44 AM   #18
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
XTremjeep, I was told to T into the wires and run jumpers from there so maybe thats my problem and I didn't want to solder the wires until I was sure that I had this correct.

Dodger as I've said before this is the current setup that I am running. I was concerned about the two orange going through the firewall because those were the instructions to follow, I didn't want to miss anthing.

Guy if you listen to us we are trying to get you straighten out. Like others besides me are telling you forget about the wiring loom. run the wires as the instructions say. I did this using the way I have told you works with no problems as other have done too. We are not there ,we can only go with what we know and read from you. Some of us have simplified the connections. BY doing the bypass by using a set of wires straight from the ICM to the distributor and moving a few vacuum lines.

Here is what I would do if I was there reconnect the wires you have cut besides the orange and purple wires. then take two wires connect one to the orange wire at the ICM to the orange wire at the distributor Then do the same for the purple wires. (NOTE THERE IS NO T CONNECTION) Then see if I could start it up. If at that point it does sound like it is trying to run then I would adjust the distributor to get it in timed. The adjust the carb to get it to idle. Once running then use a timing light to get it into complete timing. And then readjust idle speed of the engine.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 04:31 PM   #19
Teejay409

If anyone is still reading, the jeep is still dead in the water...could my ICM be fried? Anyone know how to test one with a multimeter?
Teejay409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #20
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It will be cheaper in the long run to get a CRT HEI and be done with it.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 10:11 PM   #21
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

What have you done?? Have you rewired your connections and followed the instructions provided? Have you checked your fuses??
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 08:54 AM   #22
Teejay409

I've reconnected everything at the firewall. Ran two jumpers from purple and orange at the ICM to the distributor. And still nothing. Fuses checked out as well.
Unread 01-13-2010, 10:12 AM   #23
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

hook it all back up the way it was before you cut/spliced it and see if it runs

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 10:14 AM   #24
Teejay409

I tried that as well and it didn't help. That's why I was wondering if the ICM was fried.
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:57 PM   #25
grandizer52

87 yj

Hea guys,
I see this is a stagnant post. I did the Nutter bypass, and jeep wouldn't start. I set up to do timing, and distributor rotated cause I loosened it to much. I had someone with electrical experience help do the nutter wiring and install connecters. we kept trying to get it to start, rolled the engine a few times, wouldn't fire. cranked the engine by hand till we were at top dead center, tried to start noting, and we rotated the distributor 180DG nothing, we pulled the cap, raised the ignition till we could rotate 180DG to see if we could get a spark. we got a spark, fuel actually came out the line cause the pressure with no where to go. tried rotating back and forth the distributor. any help? I'm running a stock distributor. would and electronic ignition help? if anyone has input i could use it.
either e-mail me
grandizer52@gmail.com
call or text 808-387-0303 i'm in hawaii and the shop here are not good…so i do all my own maint. but hit a hard road block
grandizer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 04:32 AM   #26
jr4x4
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandizer52 View Post
Hea guys,
I see this is a stagnant post. I did the Nutter bypass, and jeep wouldn't start. I set up to do timing, and distributor rotated cause I loosened it to much. I had someone with electrical experience help do the nutter wiring and install connecters. we kept trying to get it to start, rolled the engine a few times, wouldn't fire. cranked the engine by hand till we were at top dead center, tried to start noting, and we rotated the distributor 180DG nothing, we pulled the cap, raised the ignition till we could rotate 180DG to see if we could get a spark. we got a spark, fuel actually came out the line cause the pressure with no where to go. tried rotating back and forth the distributor. any help? I'm running a stock distributor. would and electronic ignition help? if anyone has input i could use it.
either e-mail me
grandizer52@gmail.com
call or text 808-387-0303 i'm in hawaii and the shop here are not good…so i do all my own maint. but hit a hard road block
hey bro. if all is hooked up right. its probably your ICM. it happened to me to. i even disconnected the nutter & put it back to normal & it started up. so i thought the icm was ok. so i bought a new one (being out of options) re- nuttered then hooked up new icm & boom fired right up. dont have it plugged in while splicing wires. hope this helps.
jr4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 06:14 AM   #27
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandizer52 View Post
Hea guys,
either e-mail me
grandizer52@gmail.com

Probably be better to start your own thread rathr than bring this zombie thread back from the dead.

There are ways to check the ICM, but it requires specialized tools, a multi-meter won't do it.

On the Nutter, the best thing to do if you suspect a bad ICM is to pick up a GM ICM from the lat 70s. 20 to 25 bucks, and they work better and produce a hotter spark than the Ford Duraspark that is ih your Jeep. Takes 10 minutes to hook up. Search "stealth HEI" for instructions
Unread 10-25-2013, 08:58 AM   #28
grandizer52

So you guys think by swapping the a new ignition is the proper answer?
feel free to shoot me a message at 808-387-0303
Unread 10-30-2013, 04:50 PM   #29
grandizer52

nutter fix

Someone tried calling me from texas you didn't leave a message. Call again. I'm still not running

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.