Nutter Bypass Jeep Won't Start 88 Yj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Nutter Bypass Jeep Won't Start 88 Yj

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 01-02-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
Teejay409

Nutter Bypass Jeep Won't Start 88 Yj

OK, so heres what I did. First at the firewall I cut the orange, purple and light green with black stripe. I connected orange to green and ran a jumper from purple to purple down at the ICM. I was told that I should not have spliced at the firewall, instead down at the ICM. So I reconnected everything at the firewall. Then down at the ICM I spliced into that purple wire and ran a jumper to the purple at the distributer. Then at the green with black stripe spliced into that one and ran a jumper into the orange at the distributer. I've been splicing into the green with black stripe because after the ICM connector the orange comes out green with black stripe and because at the firewall I do not have two orange wires going into the firewall. In any case all this splicing and cutting the jeep has not started at all!!! I am stumped any friggin help, please.

Teejay409 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2010, 10:26 PM   #2
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure... Your description has me confused.

Can you post pics of your splices?

I'll search for the nutter post with pics for comparison.
Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
Teejay409

ok photos posted in my gallery. They show the splice into purple before the ICM connector, splice into green/black after the connector and the jumpers spliced into purple and orange at the distributor. Thanks.
Unread 01-03-2010, 07:33 AM   #4
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Guy the first thing get rid of those splices. Get some butt connectors at least those will cause you more problems the solving anything.
here is a link with picture of the bypass.
The "Nutter" Bypass
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 08:38 AM   #5
vector6
2001 TJ Wrangler 

those connections need to be soldered...
vector6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 08:41 AM   #6
tr6
1992 YJ Wrangler 

ummm

looks like the copper wires are touching each other?
tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 11:26 AM   #7
Teejay409

Dodger, the one issue I have with that example of the bypass is that I don't have two solid orange wires passing through the firewall. I have that pair of orange and purple that are twisted together and run through the firewall, so where does that leave me? Aside from that one orange wire, I do have jumpers running from the ICM to the distributor...
Unread 01-03-2010, 12:59 PM   #8
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

OK when I did mine I installed the two wires from the ICM to the distributor connecting orange to orange and purple to purple. Did not use the factory wires. Which by passed the computer control inside. If you look at the pictures. They do not show the purple wire as being there in the first place.

Ok here is a picture guide for you.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/p...bypass-476720/
Unread 01-03-2010, 01:51 PM   #9
Teejay409

This is what I've done. But my question still stands as to where people are saying there are 2 orange wires running through the firewall.
Unread 01-03-2010, 01:55 PM   #10
Teejay409

wait those photos don't show "T"ing into the orange an purple at the ICM. Am I supposed to T into those wires or not?
Unread 01-03-2010, 06:26 PM   #11
SamzJeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Hey there....My son did the same thing to his '88 and then it wouldn't start...nothing, not even a click. I ended up changing the ignition control module (on the driver's side fender). that was it! I guess the ICM just happened to go out the same time we did the nutter. He found his ICM at the junkyard for 8 bucks off of a J10 Jeep truck. the new one at Checker Auto would have been like 60 bucks or so. His Jeep is still running just fine. Good luck...
Unread 01-03-2010, 07:21 PM   #12
Xtremjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I did not T the wires, I cut them then made my own jumpers to go from the distributor to the ICM. You have to do a better job on your wiring. All that copper showing is going to give you more problems. And solder the connections, as said before.

1980 CJ-7 Mall crawler (RIP 2010)
1983 CJ-8 Scrambler Full resto in progress
1988 YJ Fully Built but never Done

Xtremjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 07:46 PM   #13
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teejay409 View Post
This is what I've done. But my question still stands as to where people are saying there are 2 orange wires running through the firewall.
Do not worry about the two orange wires going through the bulkhead. Take the orange wire at the ICM connect (with another wire )that to the orange wire at the dizzy. then do the same with the purple wire add another wire to the icm to the purple wire at the dizzy.

Quit making this harder on your self just follow the instruction.

There is no T's connection. Now this is not that hard to do There is no green black wires in the bypass that needs to be changed. Reconnect any other wires you have spliced into or cut.

The purple wire comes of of the ICM does not come through the connector at the ICM.
Unread 01-03-2010, 10:21 PM   #14
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeep View Post
I did not T the wires, I cut them then made my own jumpers to go from the distributor to the ICM. You have to do a better job on your wiring. All that copper showing is going to give you more problems. And solder the connections, as said before.
This would be my suggestion as well. Not knowing what year your rig is this may not be the case, but on my '90 the wires changed colors inside the loom so orange at one end was not orange at the other, so double check that you've actually cut the right wires to begin with.

On an unrelated note, you do realize that the Nutter Bypass effectively eliminates your smog equipment and is not CA compliant right?

When I did mine, I left everything "looking" stock so I didn't have any issues getting it smogged.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 11:41 PM   #15
Teejay409

XTremjeep, I was told to T into the wires and run jumpers from there so maybe thats my problem and I didn't want to solder the wires until I was sure that I had this correct.

Dodger as I've said before this is the current setup that I am running. I was concerned about the two orange going through the firewall because those were the instructions to follow, I didn't want to miss anthing.

Timatoe I do realize the ramifications of the bypass, I've heard that people have still had luck passing smog inspections even after the bypass. I can only hope.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.