nutter bypass - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > nutter bypass

Huge Soft top SaleAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 09-14-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
rtaylor25
1987 YJ Wrangler 

nutter bypass

put the 2150 motorcraft upgrade carb on the 1987 4.2 wrangler keep seeing talk about the nutter bypass was wondering if any one could tell me what it does and if i need one any info would b appreciated

rtaylor25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
goldeaglejeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I stand corrected below.

Last edited by goldeaglejeep; 09-14-2011 at 09:54 PM..
goldeaglejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #3
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtaylor25 View Post
put the 2150 motorcraft upgrade carb on the 1987 4.2 wrangler keep seeing talk about the nutter bypass was wondering if any one could tell me what it does and if i need one any info would b appreciated
I'm not totally up on the details, but from what I've seen-
The nutter bypass basically takes the computer out of the picture. I think there's 2 wires you have to cut and splice, and it works better with a different distributor. They say it runs *way* better afterwards.

oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2011, 09:27 PM   #4
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

The Nutter removes the computer from the Jeep. It restores the Duraspark ignition to the same configuration as was found on a late 70s or early 80s Jeep 6 cylinder engine................It does not affect any other emission control equipment, and the remaining emission equipment should be kept and functional, it doesn't hurt performance.
Old4X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2011, 09:31 PM   #5
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

You should replace the distributor with a pre-smog dizzy or mod yours to pre-smog configuration.................Quite simple, really, just some work with a file on the centrifugal advance base plate. Other than that plate, both dizzys are identical.
Old4X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2011, 09:44 PM   #6
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You could look here in the Frequently Asked Questions......
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.