NP435 with a flat belly skid? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > NP435 with a flat belly skid?

New Product Release: Flowmaster CA Legal Direct-Fit CatalyPartsHubDirect: Hella LED Lighting, HID Xenon, Headlamps, Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic Halog

Unread 04-05-2010, 06:39 PM   #1
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

NP435 with a flat belly skid?

I am re-doing the entire drive line in my YJ that I just acquired.

The PO swapped in a 5.0 HO motor, NP435, NP231 with TC drop kit and really didn't do such a good job IMO of optimizing the combo for belly clearance. There is currently no SYE, there are just shims between the axle and springs. (Plans are to swap out the D30 for an 8.8 and I'll point the yoke at the TC output).

The bottom of the NP435 hangs about 5" below the bottom of the frame rails and the skid plate/spacer is just way too low for any serious wheeling.

I put a 1" body lift on it last week and there is a ton of room to move the entire drive line up for additional belly clearance.

I know I'll need a CV rear drive shaft, but is there a limit on just how high you can raise everything before you are putting too much angle on even a CV drive shaft? Is there an "ideal" drive line angle?

Ideally, I'd like to get the bottom of the NP435 even with the bottom of the frame rails. To me, it looks like the motor mounts are welded in upside down, and can easily be raised at least 5" before I start to have bellhousing to firewall issues.

I know it's hard to visualize without pics, but I was just wondering if anyone else is running an NP435 with a flat belly skid.

Pics will follow tomorrow so you can all see what I'm working with.

Unread 04-05-2010, 07:42 PM   #2
joshbaker92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Dont think you can because of the shape of the bottom of the tranny. that is why im going with the sm420

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.