Trying to remove my np231 out of my 94 yj with a 4.0 and ax15. I've got the 6 bolt removed and can't seem to get the case off. It seems loose at the bottom of the case but the top studs seem frozen. I'm almost 99% positive I got all of the bolts. Searched here and saw that there were six bolt. I count six that I took off. Am I missing something here? Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
I've been smacking the crap out of it. Tried pb blaster on it, tried heat and even had an Italian pick out there gently prying. Maybe I just need a second pair of hands. Just wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything and also wanted to see if anyone had a similar experience. Thanks for the reply!!!
Sorry guys. Should of went into more detail. Removed the belly pan of course. All linkage has been removed. Speedo sensor plug. Vent or vacuumed line at the top. Both front and rear driveshaft have been removed. Trans mount has also been removed. All six bolts for the case have been removed. It's sitting in the driveway with a jack stand under the tranny. Not budging one bit. I didn't drain the fluid yet but didn't think that would prevent it from coming off. Case it in the neutral position I think. Thanks for the help guys!!
Should just fall out at that point. I am guessing its just being stubborn. Have you tried just getting under it and pushing the whole case up to wiggle it out? Make sure the tranny is secured well and the vehicle is blocked. Or you can try using a jack to lift it a bit and hopefully break the bond. Wonder if someone pulled it in the past and then used sealant. If they used the canned permatex I could see it be a pita.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13
I've used a jack in many diff spots to apply pressure up, I've grabbed it by the tail and shook the crap out of it left and right and up and down. I have tried prying with screw drivers and bars. I put my foot on the tail shaft and shook it. I tried heating the studs with map gas. I tried smacking the crap out of it with a rubber mallet. I'm running out of options here. Never had this happen before. I've removed two other ones on different jeeps. I'm lost. Haha
you have a corrosion issue. I had the same problem with one of the parts heeps I had. Wound up smashing the case to get it apart.. There is a small boss on both sides... might be able to get something in there to put pressure on those to get it to pop apart.
1998 ZJ 5.2 Auto
1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
I'm going to try ratchet straps from the axle around the case. Hopefully I can use 2 and just crank a little at a time till it pops loose. Going to give it a try tomorrow because of rain tonight. Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Will report back on how it goes.