NP231 Shifting OUT of 4 Lo VERY Difficult - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > NP231 Shifting OUT of 4 Lo VERY Difficult

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-02-2008, 01:28 PM   #1
Jim93YJ

1993 YJ Wrangler 

NP231 Shifting OUT of 4 Lo VERY Difficult

Does anyone else have a hard time shifting out of 4Lo? If so is there a fix or linkage adjustment that could be made??

No problems shifting into 4Lo or in or out of any other gears

Thanks

Jim

93YJ 4.8L Vortec,AX15,Atlas 4.3:1, 4.56 Gears, Dana 30 w/ Posi-lok,Dana 44 Rear w/ Ox Locker + 99 Explorer Disk Brakes,Tom Woods D. Shafts,1" Body, 2.5" ED RE Lift, 33" BFG KM2 T/A's with MT Classic II Wheels, Herculined Inside, Electric Fan, 20 Gal Tank Conversion,Tuffy Center Console,Warn Front Bumper, Rockhard 4X4 Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier,Bushwacker Extended Flat Fender Flares,AMSoil/Redline In Everything and the List Goes On....

AND...

88YJ 4.2L: Interior and mechanical overhaul including engine replacement, nutter bypass, Weber 34 Carb, and work on a whole bunch of other things to get it back to fine running condition without the emissions control...evap cannister kept functional as well as PCV system, and manifold heater.
Jim93YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2008, 03:54 PM   #2
sitdwnandhngon
1987 YJ Wrangler 

is it always hard to do? can you do it at full stop in neutral, or rolling slightly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by northjeep View Post
4.2 has 0.2 more!
sitdwnandhngon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2008, 08:59 AM   #3
Jim93YJ

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Shifting in 4 Lo is easy but to shift out I have to be pushing incredibly hard on the stick and rolling slighlty
93YJ 4.8L Vortec,AX15,Atlas 4.3:1, 4.56 Gears, Dana 30 w/ Posi-lok,Dana 44 Rear w/ Ox Locker + 99 Explorer Disk Brakes,Tom Woods D. Shafts,1" Body, 2.5" ED RE Lift, 33" BFG KM2 T/A's with MT Classic II Wheels, Herculined Inside, Electric Fan, 20 Gal Tank Conversion,Tuffy Center Console,Warn Front Bumper, Rockhard 4X4 Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier,Bushwacker Extended Flat Fender Flares,AMSoil/Redline In Everything and the List Goes On....

AND...

88YJ 4.2L: Interior and mechanical overhaul including engine replacement, nutter bypass, Weber 34 Carb, and work on a whole bunch of other things to get it back to fine running condition without the emissions control...evap cannister kept functional as well as PCV system, and manifold heater.
Unread 04-03-2008, 10:11 AM   #4
Alabamaranger
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Just had to tear into mine. This site help me a lot to see what going on inside.

http://www.opiebennett.com/images/Je...2015/np231.htm

I would take the linkage off and see if it's still hard to shift it by hand. If it is, than you know something is causing it inside. Pricing parts out, it might be cheaper to get another tc for a spare.
Alabamaranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2008, 10:13 AM   #5
Alabamaranger
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Mine is equal pressure when going from L to H and H to L.
Unread 04-03-2008, 01:36 PM   #6
sitdwnandhngon
1987 YJ Wrangler 

its possible your linkage needs adjusting however if it just suddenly began doing it its probably something internal, Tcases are not my cup of tea, i just go the the boneyard and get a new one if mine breaks, like Alabamaranger said, take it off and see if you can move the lever with your hand, with your transmission in neutral and the tires blocked you should be able to go through all 4 positions with little effort. if you can then adjust your linkage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northjeep View Post
4.2 has 0.2 more!
sitdwnandhngon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2008, 02:08 PM   #7
Alabamaranger
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If it's inside, it's easy to pull the rear half of the case off while still in the Jeep. Took about 20 minutes to take apart.
Unread 04-03-2008, 04:23 PM   #8
Jim93YJ

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys for the input....I did not realize it shoud be easy enough to shift the transfer case without the mechanical advantage of the linkage. Hopefully that is all it is.

AND...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.