NP231 Shift Linkage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > NP231 Shift Linkage

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe still have some great deals going on!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 01-17-2007, 11:41 PM   #1
themoneypit

NP231 Shift Linkage

Alright, my transfer case is VERY difficult to shift into anything other than 2Hi, and when it finally does get into a 4WD range (after much grinding) it immediately pops out of gear.

This is very irritating. I'm assuming this is because of the shift linkage based on my searches, but I have no idea what to expect in repairing this (I'm digging into it tomorrow morning). Anyone have any advice about how to properly fix this issue?

(I've already searched, and looked over the FAQ's)

Unread 01-18-2007, 02:54 AM   #2
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

There's a piece of linkage ~2" above my middle finger you can try to adjust.

If you need to replace the NP231 shift linkage, I have mine still & don't need it anymore since I swapped in a different tcase.

I'm in Hawaii right now for the next 3 weeks, but can ship it from my home in San Diego when I return if you need it.

Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2007, 05:34 AM   #3
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Verify your flud level is correct. If so, referring to Joe's pic above, you can just pry-pop the linkage rod off. It is rubber mini-gromet mounted at both ends. Once one end is popped off (the rear is best), you can shift the linkage by hand (probably with channel lock pliers to help) and see if you still have the problem. If you do, it's an internal issue. If you do not, it's a linkage issue. If linkage, that 1/2" bolt on the front end of the linkage rod is an lock bolt. That bolck on the rod slides fore/aft as needed to get the nength right, then is locked down to that length.

Remember, the lever action makes the t-case shifter backwards. Full back is 2hi. Full forward like this pic shows, is 4lo.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.