Np231 to np242??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Np231 to np242???

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
broken-wrangler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Np231 to np242???

So I just bought a complete drivetrain out of a 96 Cherokee with only 20k for $800 bucks. I have a np231 in my yj with a SYE already but that stupid thing will not stop leaking no matter how many times I've gone through it, nor will it stay in 4wd no matter the linkage setting. First question is will my ax15 bolt up to it cause its off a automatic? And second with my SYE kit fit in the 242. Also is it a better tcase to use?

Thanks, josh

Unread 04-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
broken-wrangler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Nobody knows?
Unread 04-28-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken-wrangler View Post
So I just bought a complete drivetrain out of a 96 Cherokee with only 20k for $800 bucks. I have a np231 in my yj with a SYE already but that stupid thing will not stop leaking no matter how many times I've gone through it, nor will it stay in 4wd no matter the linkage setting. First question is will my ax15 bolt up to it cause its off a automatic? And second with my SYE kit fit in the 242. Also is it a better tcase to use?

Thanks, josh

No, your SYE will not fit the 242. You should be able to take your input shaft out of your 231 and put in your 242 but they would have to be within the same few years of each other. The cut on the sun gear inside the 231 case changed during it's production sometime in the early 90's, but don't remember what year. A good resource is Advance Adapters. They can tell you about anything you want to know regarding the subject of the internals. But as mentioned above, your SYE will not fit and your input gear may..but it's a crap shoot. I know this....cause I tried, just fyi :-)
Unread 04-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

and i think the 231 is the more desirable case because it has way more aftermarket support
Unread 04-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
broken-wrangler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Good to know. I guess I'll just sell it and make some money back. What do you guys think its worth
Unread 04-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken-wrangler View Post
Good to know. I guess I'll just sell it and make some money back. What do you guys think its worth

242 goes for about 100. The 231's around 150-200.
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:14 AM   #7
chinuck
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I did the 242 swap mostly because in my area at the time i couldnt find a 231 for less than 300. It bolted right up in my jeep however there are a few things to workout. I did have to install a different shifter gate due to the extra gear and so it is a straight pull back between gears. Also the metal tab that connects the shift linkage to the case i have to modify because when in 4lo the linkage forms a straight line so wont disengage without the help from prying it up with a screw driver. Then since the cherokees didnt have the vacume disconnect i just fitted a posi-lock setup. Only thing i havent gotten to is the speedo. I currently use just my gps for speed and range between fill ups but when i can get ahold a cherokee someone is parting out im gunna try splicing the correct connector into the yj wiring. yes there is less aftermarket support but in my opinion its worth since i deal with alot of transitioning between soft sand and harder trails the 4wd full time is nice.

Here is a pic of the gate i mentioned
chinuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 07:02 AM   #8
broken-wrangler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

So are you in full time 4wd?
Unread 05-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #9
chinuck
1993 YJ Wrangler 

No it offers the same gears as the 231, 2hi,4hi part time,N,and 4lo, but in addition offers 4hi full time which is like awd in a way.
chinuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.