NP231 metal in oil, no noise, ??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > NP231 metal in oil, no noise, ???

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 01-21-2014, 12:20 AM   #1
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

NP231 metal in oil, no noise, ???

I rebuilt the transfer case about 3 or 4 years ago. All bearings, seals, and a new chain. Easy enough, went smoothly.

A about two months ago or so the transfer case stuck in 4wd. I let it sit since I was going to pull to motor anyways...

...Today I took apart the case to install the new input gear for my 4.0 swap.
The fluid was dark grey and the magnet was furry! That's not good. Bearings are going bad SOMEWHERE! I haven't noticed any unusual noise at all from the transfer case over the years.

Found out why 4WD was stuck. The syncro ring was stuck on the sprocket, so the mode selector collar would not engage, so the selector arm would not budge. Weird, because a little tap (ok, a few decently hard taps) and the syncro ring fell off. It was not galled, burnt or otherwise damaged.

Do you think the fouled oil caused the syncro ring to stick without causing any damage???

On to the bearings.

The front output toke is solid, no play, no noise. I put the front sprocket shaft end in the captured bearing inside the case and it's quite as well.

The rear output bearing is solid as well, smooth and quite.

The input bearing seems fine as well. I inserted the input gear without the planetaries and it spun smooth and quite.

This leaves the cage bearings on the main sprocket. The LOOK OK, not burnt, no signs of damage, but they are a little scratchy sounding when I spin the sprocket on the shaft.

I'm guessing my bearing problem is the cage bearings on the sprocket.
Is the new style shaft & sprocket without bearings a worthwhile upgrade?

If I upgrade my hack & tap to the Super Short SYE, then I would not need to shorten my drive shaft when I install the 4.0...

I could kill two birds with on fix, right? Super Short SYE eliminates the cage bearings, and reduces transfer case length over my hack & tap buy about 2.5" negating the need to shorten my drive shaft.

Man, am I over thinking this or what....

imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 09:11 AM   #2
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imstillatwork View Post
snip
If I upgrade my hack & tap to the Super Short SYE, then I would not need to shorten my drive shaft when I install the 4.0...
snip
Great plan! This is what I intended to do when I did my 4.0 upgrade. Your speedometer may be off after the Super Short upgrade, so you might need one of the little correction boxes from Blue Monkey or a similar product. More $, unfortunately.

Sorry, I can't offer any meaningful help on your transfer case questions, but I would be tempted to install a complete rebuild kit and chain on it to ensure that I fixed all the issues. The problem is that will cost $$$, and the Super Short SYE is expensive too. Here's my thread on a similar topic:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/t...build-1896249/

(BTW, you will need to lengthen your front driveshaft after the 4.0 swap)
Unread 01-21-2014, 01:15 PM   #3
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yep, I try to plan out for the big picture...
I don't want to rebuild after just 4 years or mild use. I'm tempted to just do the Super Short SYE which will eliminate the bearings that I think are bad.
I really hope that the syncro ring got stuck due to poor lubrication. With the grey ATF in there it would almost stick by hand as it gets pressed onto the tapered shaft. With clean ATF I could press as hard as I could and it would still release freely.

I don't really want to spend 300 on SYE, but it would save me 100 in shortening the driveshaft, and a longer driveshaft is better anyways. And if it would solve the bearing issue, then hey. good deal.
Unread 01-21-2014, 01:16 PM   #4
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I think I need to figure out a way to post with less words and fewer choices. I usually don't get many replies
Unread 01-21-2014, 01:42 PM   #5
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ha. I think that's a good idea. Just clean the hell out of the bearings with brake clean when you put it all back together.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 10:05 PM   #6
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ordered Super Short SYE from JB conversions and 1310 CV Socket Yoke 211355X from northern to convert my CV drives haft from flange to yoke.
The JB flange option is $100, and 3" pattern. My CV flange is 3.25" pattern. I can get the $60 socket yoke from ND to fit the JB yoke, fix my slightly worn center ball / socket AND save $40.
After I sell off the hack & tap it should end up being a very affordable upgrade. And if all goes well I don't have to adjust my rear drive shaft. It's Win win, win, win, win...win.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.