NP231 linkage question. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > NP231 linkage question.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 01-24-2011, 08:07 AM   #1
seanmac777
1989 YJ Wrangler 

NP231 linkage question.

I have swapped an AX15 and NP231 from a 95 yj into my 89 YJ. The only thing left is connecting the transfer case shift rod.

The rod is connected to the transfer case, but not connected to the shifter. On the shifter, the bushing is there, and on the rod I have the trunnion with the nipple that needs to go into that bushing.

It all seems to be adjusted correctly, as the rod and the bushing line up perfectly, only problem is....I can't get the rod to go into the bushing. I have gotten it lined up and tried pliers, I wedged a screwdriver through the crossmember and tried prying it on, I've tried tapping it in with a hammer.

Does anybody have a suggestion on how to get this to go in?

I have searched, and found one post where a somebody said that there is a special tool? Does anybody know what tool they mean?

Thanks, Sean.

seanmac777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Make sure the plastic bushing is installed in the correct direction.
Then put some lube on the linkage nipple and the plastic bushing.
Line them up and use a pair of channel locks to push the arm nipple into the bushing.

Ahead of time be sure to clean up the arms nipple to remove and rust or crud.
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2011, 09:43 AM   #3
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

It fits, just takes the perfect angle and elbow grease.

I used a pry bar for leverage and forced mine into place. ^^ I like the vice grips idea.
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
seanmac777
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, thanks guys. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing it wrong. I didn't want to end up breaking it.
seanmac777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 10:11 AM   #5
Meisenslimer
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'm having a hell of a time trying to get the bushing off of the rod to replace it. Anyone have any advice on that?
Meisenslimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 01:14 PM   #6
Hghgrad
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I hit it with a propane torch for a few seconds and soften it up. Sometimes I just melt them completely out

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.