np231 input gear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > np231 input gear

Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
stevedude19
1995 YJ Wrangler 

np231 input gear

So I want to use the t case that was behind my ax-5 which has a 21 spline input . And I'm trying to figure out which input I need to swap in to use the ax-15 I just got. The tcase year is 95 the ax-15 came out of a 96 Cherokee. Thanks

Sent from my Samsung galaxy S 2 using JeepForum because iphones are so last year

Unread 07-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

23 spline shaft is what you need.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
stevedude19
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283
23 spline shaft is what you need.
But what size?

I'm looking to buy this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231-J-Jeep-T...item2a1e9abe6f

Sent from my Samsung galaxy S 2 using JeepForum because iphones are so last year
Unread 07-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedude19 View Post
But what size?

You need to read thru this: http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np_nvg_input_gears.htm

There is significant variation in the input gears, not just limited to the spline count. There are several lengths, different bearing widths, and gear cuts. I'd give Novak a call and they'll help you come up with the input gear you want.

Since your AX15 came from a Cherokee, you will find that the clocking of the transfer case is different and the T case will tip lower on the Driver side than your original. To remedy this, you will need to redrill the mount holes on the tailshaft of the transmission. This is easy to do. I'll look for the writeup on this and post it in if I can find it.

Try this-not exactly what I was looking for, but read Mean Max's input. There may be a writeup lurking around, but from reading the text in this string, you can do this. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...-case-1053744/

It will at least get you started.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.

Last edited by Opihi59; 07-05-2012 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: Clocking Link
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
stevedude19
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59

You need to read thru this: http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np_nvg_input_gears.htm

There is significant variation in the input gears, not just limited to the spline count. There are several lengths, different bearing widths, and gear cuts. I'd give Novak a call and they'll help you come up with the input gear you want.

Since your AX15 came from a Cherokee, you will find that the clocking of the transfer case is different and the T case will tip lower on the Driver side than your original. To remedy this, you will need to redrill the mount holes on the tailshaft of the transmission. This is easy to do. I'll look for the writeup on this and post it in if I can find it.

Try this-not exactly what I was looking for, but read Mean Max's input. There may be a writeup lurking around, but from reading the text in this string, you can do this. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...-case-1053744/

It will at least get you started.
thanks for the info.
do you know if i can just swap the ax5 21 spine shaft with the ax-15?

Unread 07-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedude19 View Post
thanks for the info.
do you know if i can just swap the ax5 21 spine shaft with the ax-15?
As in remove the mainshaft from the AX 5 transmission and drop it into the AX15 transmission? No. They are not compatible. Even if it were possible, it would require complete tear down of 2 transmissions to do which would be a task with a complexity several orders of magnitude greater than swapping out an input gear in a NP231.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #7
stevedude19
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59

As in remove the mainshaft from the AX 5 transmission and drop it into the AX15 transmission? No. They are not compatible. Even if it were possible, it would require complete tear down of 2 transmissions to do which would be a task with a complexity several orders of magnitude greater than swapping out an input gear in a NP231.
Haha ok thanks. i was pretty sure it wasn't too doable . Im thinking ill just look for a different 231

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.