NP231 cross-applications - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > NP231 cross-applications

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

NP231 cross-applications

I was going to put in a true neutral plate when I installed the SYE from Rugged Ridge. Interestingly enough there suddenly appeared a 1997 XJ at my buddy's house- sort of like a funeral home before it arrives at its final resting place

So I made arrangements to scarf some items from it for my YJ (like the front CV driveshaft for my SYE) and it suddenly occurred to me that I could maybe use the transfer case out of it. But it has an AW4 so I didn't know if I could bolt that to my AX15 or not.

I read http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/t...plate-1076065/ and a bunch of other stuff for like an hour but somehow did not get the info I needed.

Can someone save me from insanity and inform me (and all posterity) whether an NP321 from a 1997 XJ with an AW4 automatic tranny will bolt up without modifications to an AX15 (the ax15 is from a '93 Wrangler)?

Thank you for any help!

Mark

fishadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

yes it will "bolt up"... but you MIGHT need to swap input shafts as the spline cound may be different (idunno)

while you're there, grab the front axle shafts for if/when you want to get rid of your vacuum disconnect and swap to 1-pc passenger shaft.
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

So it will bolt right up then! Excellent. That just saved me from either buying another or a rebuild kit for the leaky one I started with. Either way that's over $100 savings right there.

I already planned on draggin out the front axle
Was planning a homemade posi-lock as I am probably going to be 90% daily driver, but trading axles is about as appealing - I am 50/50 on it right now.

As far as the input shaft being different: I will post what I find out for posterity. I have to break one down anyway to install the SYE so that shouldn't be a big deal.

Since the Cherokee was running when it was parked I am also taking out the 4.0, computer, and other "stuff" in case I decide to fuelie my YJ. At this point it's sorta free
Unread 10-22-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
Since the Cherokee was running when it was parked I am also taking out the 4.0, computer, and other "stuff" in case I decide to fuelie my YJ. At this point it's sorta free
I may have missed an earlier post by you, sorry if I missed it...

you have a 91 - that SHOULD already have the 4.0 if it's an I6... or did you (or someone else) swap in a 4.2? why???
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
Unread 10-22-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

He he he That is sortofa story...

What started out as a $250 quicky replacement of a blown 2.5 just got exceedingly out of hand in a very satisfying way. I bought an old 1978 258 and was going to stuff it in, which would have been fine... Then as I began the work I thought, "hey, it's a good motor! Why don't I just re-ring it and put fresh bearings in it while it's easy."

Well, it snowballed! I started buying and selling things jeepy and a few thousand bought and sold and I have everything but tires for a nice SOA/SYE 4.2 jeep Wrangler project that is on the verge of actually being assembled two months later. I only have about $800 of real money into it at this point and after I scrap and sell parts from the second donor YJ and the recently acquired XJ I might even be able to buy some used tires. Just made a deal on a limited slip 4.10 8.8 axle with disk brakes and about the only things left to buy is a windshield and some steel shorts for a MML crossmember (Of course I will need to buy shocks and some other misc parts too I am sure)

BTW- some of the 91 YJs came with a 4.2 I believe - not all were 4.0 from what I am told. No matter- it will be 4.2 and will probably wind up with '97 OBD fuel injection with either the 4.0 head or a custom aluminum 4.2 intake for fuel injectors. Time will tell how out of hand I get LOL

I haven't had this much fun in a long time but this isn't as much fun as it will be when I drive it!
Unread 10-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #6
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

well since you've got (or will soon have) both a fully functional 4.0 AND a 4.2, why not combine them for a stroker since you're putting so much work into it anyway
Unread 10-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

and make the snowball bigger???!! 8-O

OK- so I spent an hour or so reading up on the low-buck stroker..... >sigh<
Unread 10-23-2013, 05:34 AM   #8
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanB95YJ View Post
yes it will "bolt up"... but you MIGHT need to swap input shafts as the spline count may be different (idunno)

while you're there, grab the front axle shafts for if/when you want to get rid of your vacuum disconnect and swap to 1-pc passenger shaft.
So after reading around some it appears that I will need to redrill some holes to use the transfer case as it came from behind an AW4. This looks easy enough.

It appears from my reading that the AW4 output is 23 spline...which is also stated in this link. That link also indicates the AW4 has the "standard" transfer case bolt pattern so I am still not sure redrilling will be required.

I would like to hear from someone who has taken a t-case from behind an auto/XJ to make sure I don't have to write a thread later on about what not to do LOL
Unread 10-23-2013, 05:41 AM   #9
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

the bolt PATTERN is the same, so yes, it will bolt up without NEEDING to redrill...
but from what I understand it'll be "clocked" differently so it will hang a bit lower, so redrilling allows you to turn (or "clock") it back up to stock, or even higher to get it completely flat if you have floorpan clearance (usually requires a body lift to get completely flat though... often done in preparation for a tummy-tuck flat skid
Unread 10-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #10
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you for that info.

I already have the material to create a 1-1/4" of motor lift and am using parts from a pair of old/good motor mounts to fabricate a rear tranny/t-case crossmember so it essentially will be 'tummy-tucked.' So that is why I brought this up. I don't like (and don't want) to do a body lift so I will avoid it unless absolutely necessary. I will elect instead to modify the floor and tunnel rather than do a body lift- although a body lift would be a lot faster and easier LOL

I plan on running 33s at most so I *think* the SOA will be like almost TOO MUCH lift so I don't want to add any more height with a body lift.

I am just motivated to use the XJ's transfer case because it was a known, running, functional street-driven vehicle when it was parked. The t-case from the '93 Wrangler was bought as a junkyard part with an unknown history.

I have gotten so invested on this project that I want to do everything mechanical very right and with an eye for longevity so as to reduce the need to take it apart for any reason. Sounds like the transfer case will work- now I just need to make up my mind on installing the XJ Dana 30... And now you had to go and mention the poor man's stroker
Unread 10-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #11
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i put a yj t-case behind the tranny in my grand cherokee a few years back. had to change the input shaft though. bolted right in after that
Unread 10-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #12
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Unread 10-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #13
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
i put a yj t-case behind the tranny in my grand cherokee a few years back. had to change the input shaft though. bolted right in after that
apparently went from 21 splines to 23 splines in 1990-ish, so a non-issue. I have several AX15s so all 23 spline. I need to take three weeks off to get this thing together... That might not be enough time though since SeanB95YJ got the snowball moving on the stroker now...
Unread 10-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #14
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

ha ha ha, yup, that jeep stroker is a mischievous thing. jeepstrokers.com can help fuel that fire, if you are bored. makes you need more money, ha ha ha
Unread 10-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #15
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

t-case swap reading for you also.

http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthr...81-ZJ-231-Swap

talks about input shaft lengths and stuff too

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.