NP 231 J Rebuild and SYE install - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > NP 231 J Rebuild and SYE install

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 05-09-2010, 08:25 PM   #16
nj95yj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

please check the pics I would love yo use this write up to help rebuild my t case... thanks

Unread 05-09-2010, 10:01 PM   #17
EZAces
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I will redo the picks tomarow did not know they got moved

[b][u][url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/np-231-j-rebuild-sye-install-748821/]NP231 rebuild and SYE install[/url][/u][/b]

[b][u][color=blue][url=http://www.4x4country.net/register.php?REF=73]Fun online game I play while reading the boards[/url][/color][/u][/b]
EZAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 08:58 PM   #18
EZAces
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I redid all the pics for you guys hope it helps.

[b][u][url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/np-231-j-rebuild-sye-install-748821/]NP231 rebuild and SYE install[/url][/u][/b]

[b][u][color=blue][url=http://www.4x4country.net/register.php?REF=73]Fun online game I play while reading the boards[/url][/color][/u][/b]
EZAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2011, 03:23 PM   #19
chaserYJ1990
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I guess this is as good a place as any that I can find in the FAQ's.

Has anyone replaced their "NP231 VACUUM 4WD SWITCH"? I'm going to be doing this this weekend and was wondering how difficult it's going to be. I'm guessing just unscrew the old one and screw the new one right in? Is there going to be any fluid loss from the NP231 when I take the old one off? I would think not...

Thanks in advance for any help, never messed with a transfer case, EVER! :-) should be fun!!!!
chaserYJ1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #20
The1AndOnlyBug
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah you just unscrew the old one and put the new one on, no fluid loss. If you need one and can wait a few days I got one that I bought offline new for $10 you can have it for the cost of shipping (should be really cheap), depending on what store you go to depends on how much they cost, I got the one that's in the jeep at carquest for $16.
'94 wrangler 4.0, parted out/traded off
'94 Wrangler 4.0 K&N cold air, bored throttle body, head polished, Comp cam, 4.5" RE extreme duty, ubolt flip, 1" booms, 1" daystar body, M.O.R.E shock mount extenders rear, shock mount extenders on front, D35 W/ Richmond Lunchbox, 4.56 Gears, 35/12.5/15 Pro Comp M/T, Black D steelies, Front bumper W/ Stinger and winchplate (Armorology), Warn XD9000I, Dakota seats,Kenwood KDC-MP342U head unit, Soundbar with Kicker DS65's, Kicker DX200.4 Amp, Kenwood 6X9 on bottom of rollbar, Infinity 4X6's in dash, Tuffy Glovebox, 4 100W Daylighters, and a CJ hardtop.
2012 HD Night Rod Vivid black stock =D

R.I.P. Chad Daniel French 29 July 1982 - 25 Oct 2010 I'll Miss you Bro
The1AndOnlyBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2011, 07:49 AM   #21
chaserYJ1990
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info and the offer, but I have already purchased the part and it should be here today. Thanks so much for your help!
chaserYJ1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2011, 06:59 PM   #22
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Could this please be stickied? Wish I had this when I did my 231...
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 10:08 AM   #23
Rockabilly
1993 YJ Wrangler 

My 93 YJ already had the SYE when I purchased it last year. Now the rear seal for the yoke is leaking. Is the seal the same as the factory seal? How can I find the part number if it is different?
Rockabilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2011, 06:45 PM   #24
Duvalbulldog
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Can you do a switch with the electronic speed sensor. I bought a used ax15 and it came with the transfer case. My set up is a mechanical speedometer and I want to switch this part instead of tearing down the both to get the input shaft. If anyone could help that would be awesome thanks. I know it's friday.
Unread 11-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #25
raynmaker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Nice writeup Aces.

Rockabilly the seals might be different. I found Napa to be the best place to check and if you take the old one they can match it. Might be worth the trouble of pulling the entire tailcone off and taking it with you incase no one has it you can put it together and drive it.

Duval the tailcones are the same for both mech and elec speedo. It is only the sender that is different. I am not sure about the gear that turns the speedo. they may be different. just have to look at the sensor gears and compare.
Unread 11-18-2011, 08:24 PM   #26
Duvalbulldog
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynmaker View Post
Nice writeup Aces.

Rockabilly the seals might be different. I found Napa to be the best place to check and if you take the old one they can match it. Might be worth the trouble of pulling the entire tailcone off and taking it with you incase no one has it you can put it together and drive it.

Duval the tailcones are the same for both mech and elec speedo. It is only the sender that is different. I am not sure about the gear that turns the speedo. they may be different. just have to look at the sensor gears and compare.
Thanks raynmaker thought that it might be the same just had to remove and install but wanted to ask before started taking apart and needing extra parts. very excited about this swap ready to get that po ba out and get that ax in.
Unread 11-21-2011, 08:21 PM   #27
Rockabilly
1993 YJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=raynmaker;12529873]Nice writeup Aces.

Raynmaker: Thanks for the info. I ended up following a wheelin buddy's advice and cleaned the area real good to discover it was seeping through the splines of the yoke. A little bit of black RTV on the inside of the yoke and the leak is gone.
Rockabilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #28
cubsfan92
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i have a 1997 wrangler and need a new transfer case. will a 2003 liberty t-case fit on it? thanks
cubsfan92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.