Np-231 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Np-231

ECGS Fall Sale - 10% Off EVERYTHING!!Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 05-05-2010, 05:36 PM   #1
DeZerTNinjA
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Np-231

Hello Guyz,

I recently bought a 93 YJ 4.0 5 Speed Manual which had gear oil leak which was discovered after i bought it ..

The Thing is that i'm in Dubai(UAE), Where the climate is usually very hot and most of the area is desert, So we hav a club of our own in which we go for 2 or 3 desert trips every week, me being a adraneline jukie .. Opt more for the Intermediate to Expert Trips which require heavy load on engine and gear .. Its Only then when i go for these trips that my gear oil starts leaking .. but its very minor .. like 8 - 10 Drops An Hour .. Now Heres The Problem

Last Week I Checked In A Garage To Get The Fluid Replaced And Like I Read On This Forum .. I Asked The Mechanic To Open The Fill Plug First .. And He Said That It Wont Open .. Its Free .. By Free He Meant That The Teeth On The Nut Had Gone Smooth .. He Told Me To Go To A Turning Shop And He Would Heat It And It Would Open Easily .. Me Being A Lazy Person And The Day Being Very Hot N Humid, Left It For Later .. Now Another Weekend Has Come And I Have Three Drives To Go To .. 1 On Thursday, 1 On Friday And 1 On Saturday ..

I Left My Jeep Since That Day(Last Saturday) And Took It Today For Some Groceries .. I Dunno If Its Just My Superstitions But I Felt The Gears Required A Little Effort .. And Most Of All There Was This Hissing Sound When I Depressed The Clutch .. But The Hissing Sound Dissappers When I Press The Clutch .. And When I Depress It .. It Appears Again .. It Was A Very Light Hiss Which I Could Hear While Sitting In The Cabin ..

So My Question is That is Hissing Sound Coming Due To The Gear Oil Being Low ..??

And What Could Be Done To Open The Teethless Nut ..

Thanks And Regards ..

Fellow Jeeper

DeZerTNinjA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
djsmith1174
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You could fill it by removing the shifter in a pinch, but you're going to have difficulty gauging the level unless you completely drain and refill the oil. I believe you can get a hold of that fill plug with a pair of vice grips on the outside edge. Soak it with a penetrating fluid for a while prior to attempting. If that doesn't work, you can tack weld a nut to it so it could be turned with a wrench. Make sure to use thread sealer on the threads when you install a new one.
djsmith1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 12:30 PM   #3
planedog
1994 YJ Wrangler 

2-3 Trips a Week? Are You a Sheik?
planedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.