Now I've done it.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Now I've done it....

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 12-26-2005, 04:20 PM   #1
skeletor

Now I've done it....

Went to remove "suspect" TPS and f'd up one of the torx head bolts !!!!.
The first one came out hard but is ok .
Should I take the TBI off,grind/dremel the head off the bolt then remove sensor and try with a pair of vise grips???
Any other ideas???TY...skeletor

skeletor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2005, 06:12 PM   #2
red92YJ

I messed up three removing my windshield brackets to mount lights. I just drilled them out and retapped the holes. If you use a bit a little smaller than the bolt the tend to go pretty easy and not damage the old threads too much. I used regular bolts to go back in, I wasn't going through that again! Good luck.
1992 red YJ soft top 4.0 w/5 speed BF Goodrich 31x10.50 M/T tires, 1.25" shackle lift, Rancho RSX shocks, Outland Neoprene seat covers, Outland Acoustic brief bikini top, KC lights (windshield and bumper)
Sound bar and JVC HD radio.
[URL="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/timc/Non%20Gun%20pics/Jeepapril20071.jpg?t=1176762892"]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/timc/Non%20Gun%20pics/Jeepapril20071.jpg?t=1176762892[/URL]
red92YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2005, 06:28 PM   #3
paultyler
Uncle Paul has spoken...

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Is the stripped torx head raised or sunk into whatever it bolts into? If it is raised and if you can get a grinder to it you can use the grinder to flatten out two opposite sides of the bolt, thereby allowing a regular wrench to go over it and then remove it.

My Jeep in the Snow

92 YJ, 35' MTR Kevlars, Klune/Dana 20, 4.88s, SYE, Rubicon D44s w/Rubicon lockers, front and rear Alloy USA chromoly shafts with 30 spline outers, JK electric swaybar, T&T tube fenders, custom cv driveshafts, RE 4.5 XD springs, M.O.R.E. 5/8'' boomerang shackles + 2' BL, 15lb Powertank, 4.0L TB & TB spacer, ARB Snorkel, K&N filter, rear bumper and tire rack, Rancho 9000s, AtoZ Rockers, Skid-Row Engine skid plate, Teraflex Bellyup, JCR Offroad 1 Ton TieRod, rock lights, RE hand throttle, M.O.R.E. roll cage, corners, 9000lb winch with synthetic cable in-cab winch controller (12voltguy.com), Dual Blue Top Optimas with 12voltguy dual battery controller, a/c (ackits.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrad View Post
This Uncle Paul guy seems to know what he's talking about.
paultyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2005, 06:39 PM   #4
Mr. Notorious

If you do alot of wrenching on your jeep go out to Sears and get the Craftsman "Bolt outs". They are amazing! If you're looking for a quick fix you can try some vise grips or something but in the time it'll take you you could just drive to sears and buy this kit.

1967 FJ, linked, 350 chevy, 35's, arbs, blah blah...
2002 TJ

"If you're not moving ahead, you're falling behind"
Mr. Notorious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2005, 07:38 PM   #5
skeletor

Thank you Mr. N,Saw those on an info-mercial!!!!,I'll give it a shot!!!!...skeletor
Unread 12-26-2005, 07:43 PM   #6
YJBlues
1991 YJ Wrangler 

X2 on the craftsman bolt outs, one of the most valuable tools in my toolbox. One thing I use on small torx bolts is my impact screwdriver, put the proper torx bit in the end, insert, give it a good whack with a hefty hammer, nine times out of ten it breaks loose on the first try.
YJBlues is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2005, 07:51 PM   #7
CalicoYJ

You will definately use those bolt outs more than once they are a good investment. They are good for helping people out too everyone snaps bolts.
CalicoYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2005, 07:53 PM   #8
93Renny

Happened to me before, stipped out torx head. So I upped to the next size torx socket and pounded it into the stripped out hole. I then used an impact wrench and it poped it out enough that I could spray PB Blaster in the threads and used a pair or vice grips to work it loose (wrenching it left and right). The impact wrench finnished stripping the torx head out, but got it loose it for me.

I'm pretty sure it's ok to put anti-seize on the threads before putting the new bolts back in. It would assure you that you'd be able to remove them again if need be.

Anyone know about that?
Unread 12-26-2005, 08:01 PM   #9
CalicoYJ

Anti-sieze is fantastic except sometimes fibrations can work things loose. It never hurts to try it though as long as you check back once in a while to make sure its not ready to fall out.
CalicoYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2005, 09:06 PM   #10
skeletor

The one that came out had abt the last quarter of an inch of some type of coating on it(lock-tite?),fought me all the way!....skeletor
Unread 12-27-2005, 12:34 AM   #11
toplessjeep

Yeah anit sieze is great. Yeah you gotta make sure you tighten it properly. I was tought in school to use it on lugnuts when ever you remove the wheels. You only gotta do it once in a while not evey time. Never ever had any lug nuts come loose. Stil I always worry so I double check everything again the next day after driving for a while.
toplessjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.