November 2017 YJOTM

Status
Not open for further replies.

November 2017 YJOTM

3K views 60 replies 23 participants last post by  timatoe 
#1 ·
November 2017 YJOTM Vote Now!

It's here, the last one of 2017!

We've got a full house of 9 entries this month! Thank you to all entrants for keeping this interesting and competitive.

Before voting, please familiarize yourself with the rules so that your vote is counted!

To vote on the contest, the rules are as follows:

All nonsupporting members must post when you vote or it will not be counted. Paid members do not have to post when voting.

No soliciting votes from within JF or outside JF.
* This is a tricky one, previous months have shown brand new members voting for the same contestant with thier first post. That would be fine except that the accounts were created to do so. It's all good to promote JF from outside the forum, we want more Jeep minds here, right? Just don't be the guy posting on Facebook about the contest if you are IN the contest.

No promotion within this thread will be permitted via more pictures or descriptions.

All voters will remain public as to promote self moderation

Self votes are not permitted, and will not be tolerated. Any entrants voting for their own rig will be immediately disqualified.

As always the winner will receive a 1 year paid member status here on Jeepforum as well as a substantial gift card from Metalcloak!
At this time, the $200 additional prize from Quadratec is continuing on a month by month basis.

A huge thank you to our supporters each month!

If there are any more questions feel free to post in this thread or PM me with any concerns or suggestions

Good luck to all!

See less See more
#2 ·
bgredjeep

1987 YJ juggy
-Engine
4.2 w/ Howell EFI, CRT HEI ign.
-Transmission/t-case
AW4 with RADesigns Winters shifter / Dana 300 w/ JB Conversions 4:1 and 32 spline output
-Front Axle
Dana 60, Spartan locker, PSC full hydro steering, 35spline, Solid drive flanges and diff cover
-Rear Axle
Eaton HO72, welded, Artec truss, shaved housing, custom rear cover, 14bolt shafts, Disk brakes
-Suspension
front 3-link, 14" radflo coil-overs, rear 4-link, 16" radflo 2.5 air shocks, 1-1/4" heims, 114" wb, 5" up-travel
-Tires/wheels
40" comp Maxxis Trepadors on 17x9 Method 101 beadlocks
-Recovery
T-Max 9000, aluminum fairlead, Warn synth rope, Warn snatch block, High-Lift, rear 2500lb suck down winch
-Armor
Full custom cage/back-half/front half juggy.
-Accessories
Corbeau Ultra SS seats, Chassis Unlimited seat sliders, PRP 5pt harnesses, quick release steering wheel, 20# co2, Bluetooth stereo, 10" LED light bars, Action Packer for tool storage

I bought this Jeep in 1999 as my DD. It had a 4" lift and 33s. I drove it as my only vehicle for ~4 years until I bought a car to DD. From there I started building with the intention of having a solid wheeler that I could drive to the trail, wheel, and drive home. Plans change, and so did my Jeep.

With help from my buddy Cole at RCM fab, the Jeep has been transformed into a serious rock crawler over the last couple years. More buggy than Jeep at this point, but it still remembers the YJ it came from. Almost every part of the jeep has been replaced or upgraded over the 18 years I've owned it. The motor, grill, hood, cowl, part of the floor, and a few feet of the frame is all thats left of the Jeep I started with. The Jeep is still tagged and insured, and on rare occcasions is driven on the street. The sticky tires are the only thing that keeps me from more street time. Outside of small tuning and tweaks the Jeep is finished (famous last words). There may be a v8 in it's future, but no imediate plans.

Attachments

#3 ·
paulhead

It's been a good Jeep year, did so many mods. Got my CCFab tube fenders on, new tires, put a (original) Superior Super 88 kit in the 8.8 and am in the middle of putting a Rubi Tcase in there. Ran some favorite trails up in Big Bear this year too. Had two awesome rigs (YJ and an XJ) a wild back, sold them (kicked myself) and am starting over.

1994 YJ Wrangler
Engine
4.0, Daystar 1" MML, Optima Redtop, '95
booster/MC upgrade
Transmission
RH32, Hayden tranny cooler
Transfer Case
NV241OR (4:1) Rock Trac
Front Axle
D30 , Yukon (Warn) hubs, Lockright, Beefy
steering, gear box brace, Dynatrac u-bolt flip kit
Rear Axle
Ford 8.8 w Yukon Grizzly locker, Superior Super
88 kit and Ruff Stuff spring under ubolt plates.
Gear Ratio
Suspension
4" Zone's
Tires
35" General Grabbers X3's
Wheels
Black steelies 15x8
Recovery
Smitty winch, Hi lift, homemade 10lb CO2
Armor
Barnes 2" belly, Rustys dif covers, CCFAB
tube fenders, rockers
Accessories
Rear tire carrier, CB radio, Corbeau RS seats,
stinger
Future Mods
D44 in the front, 38s

Attachments

#4 ·
CWBreeding

Year: 1995 Jeep Wrangler YJ

Specifications and Modifications:

Drivetrain
-2.5L
-HPD30 front, Ford 8.8 LSD rear, both geared to 4.88
-AA SYE kit, Tom Woods CV driveshaft
-35" Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's w/ Kevlar

Suspension/Steering
-Power steering conversion and PS gearbox from a Dodge Durango with M.O.R.E. Steering box stabilizer bracket
-Rusty's Offroad heavy duty tie-rod and drag link
-4" Rubicon Express suspension lift with single leaf removed from each pack (decreases spring rate, increases ride quality, and gives lift of ~2.5-3" while maintaining original range of motion), 5/8" lift boomerang shackles rear, 2" bodylift

Interior
-Bedlined tub
-Corbeau Baja SS bucket seats
-Tuffy center console
-Polk audio speakers in a floor mount speaker pod

Recovery
-Warn M8274 built in 1976 that I rebuilt as a summer project

Miscellaneous
-Poison Spyder DeFenders (steel)
-Smittybuilt bumpers front and rear
-TJ rear flares
-Ridgid Job Box for secure, dry rear storage

The Story:

I bought this Jeep when I was 15 and a freshman in high school and it was bone stock. All the work that's been done to it has been done by me and my awesome dad, and it's how I learned the art of wrenchin'. I just finished my sophomore year of college, and had to leave the Jeep behind while I studied abroad during June. I got "the itch" while I was overseas, and started collecting parts to rebuild the 8274. They were waiting for me when I returned, ready to be put to use. Got the winch on and took it wheeling! Overall, it's been a long, slow build with lots of wheeling and a few broken parts thrown in the mix, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Last year, I mentioned that the next items on the list were repainting the front clip and getting a winch, and in the past year I've completed both of those tasks and then some.
Now, I'm thinking the next item on the list will either be a powertrain swap or some sort of suspension redo(ORI, coilovers, etc).

Attachments

#5 ·
NHfireLJ

95 Jeep YJ Unlimited Stretch
1LONGYJ

Specs:
ENGINE/Drivetrain
95' Cherokee 4.0 HO w AW4 transmission w external filter and Derale cooler, Browndog 1" motor mount lift and engine brackets, cooled by Taurus 2 spd fan and Volvo controller, TJ headpipe conversion and misc exhaust.
-136 amp GC Alternator and dual battery setup
-Dakota steering box upgrade, PS cooler with MORE Hi steer kit, steering box skid and MORE streering box stabilizer
-NELCO dual Diaphragm Brake booster and MC and all disks proportioning valve
-Homebrew Hummer intake
-NP231, Savvy Shifter cable, AA SYE
-Front HP D30, 4.10 w Aussie locker, 4330 Chrome-Moly shafts w 1350 U joints , Riddler cover
-Rear Ford 8.8 w disk brakes, 4.10 w Aussie locker , Yukon Chrome-moly C clip eliminator shafts, Solid cover
-Tom Woods front and rear CV driveshafts

SUSPENSION
-SOA, OEM springs w added mainleaf, Ruffstuff perches and Ruffstuff DIY traction bar.
-3/8" heavy duty shackles
-Daystar 1" BL
-Ford F250 Shock towers front, MORE Shock extenders Rear
-Bilstein 5150 shocks x 4
-Black 15 x 8 steelies
-Jetzon Mud Claws 35" 12.5 x 15

ARMOR and BODY
-Poison Spyder front bumper
-Smitybilt rear bumper homebrew recovery D rings
-Homebrew Rockers
-Homebrew Oil pan skid
-UCF Belly up Skid and Gen Right trans crossmember
-Rugged Ridge fuel tank skid
-Gen Right front and Rear tub corner armor, w OEM Rubicon flares
-Besttop NK OEM LJ top
-TJ full hard doors
-Monstaliner tub interior
- A to Z Fab / Homebrew Cage, Rockhard Harness bar
-2001 Toyota Celica GT Seats
-CJ drop down tailgate
-CB and Fire ground VHF radios
-Tuffy and 40mm Ammo can storage boxes
- LJ rollbar speaker pods
-LED lighting, bumper and windshield

RECOVERY
-Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500 winch w Amsteel synthetic line
-MISC recovery gear (straps,tree savers,blocks,and shackles)
-Hi-Lift Jack
MISC
-OBA , A/C conversion w 2.5 gal tank
-Frame swap build up.
-TJ fuel filler mod
-Tub mounted church key
-CJ mirrors

This is my 3rd jeep build, and after seeing a previous YJ to LJ morph, I knew It had to build one.. but keep it leaf sprung. I couldn't find a 4.0 and as much as I enjoyed a manual trans, the clutch got old on the trails, so I bought a 2.5 and a XJ 4.0 auto for a donor drivetrain… It was great project. In the course of 7 months, I stripped, cut, welded, repowered, rolled and then winter wheeled my YJ Unlimited! SOA rides and flexes great. Future mods include another Golen Stroker engine, and front D44 and perhaps 37's, Home brew tub mounted tire carrier, Homebrew Trusses

Attachments

Reactions: Heepo
#6 ·
bobracing

1992 YJ
Engine: 4.0
Trans: 32RH auto
Xfer: 231/D300 doubler, AA D300 HD output
Tires: 37" Falken MT
Wheels: Allied beadlocks (heavy)
Front axle: 76 Waggy D44, e-locker, 4.56 gears
Rear axle: 94 Isuzu Rodeo, e-locker, 4.56 gears

Suspension: BDS 3.5" lift springs
Front: Reverse shackle with 6" custom front shackles.
Rear: spring mounts "frenched" into the frame with 4 mounting positions, axle moved back 1.5". 6" RC boomerang rear shackles.
Shocks:
Front: Some kind of cheap 12" travel Rough Country.
Rear: 90s era RS5000, what I had that fit.

Safety:
Extra bars added to the stock bars, all tied to the frame (a, b, & c pillars)
PRP suspension seats mounted to the cage

Misc:
Homebrew rockers, w/1.5 tube
Homebrew 1.5" tube fenders with 16ga plate
Homebrew 1.75" radiator protector
Homebrew front bumper/winch mount.
All the above are tied together and the frame.
D300 twin stick with 7" extension to clear 2nd xfer and pass. seat.
Warn 8274 w/Bigfoot Kevlar rope
Hood highlined 1.5"
1994 XJ double diaphragm brake booster, same as TJ mod.
1975 T-Bird master brake cylinder
CAI, TJ air tube and parts store intake because of booster/master length
TJ rear flares
Gas tank "dented" for rear axle clearance
Switch-pro controller
Rear disk brakes
TJ rear driveshaft, it fit.

Future:
Tire carrier.
Harnesses
A/C compressor air.
Outboarded rear shocks.
Better shocks
Headlight relays mod
LED light, tail, marker, maybe head.
1/2 doors

Back Story:
This completely stock Jeep ended up at at a friend's (affectionately called the Rusty Ranch) because someone needed to store it. The Jeep was thought to have a blown headgasket. Short story, thinking the kid wanted 2500, I kind of jokingly said, "it was only worth 500". About 2 day later I get a call asking if I was serious about the offer, Ummmm yes.
The blown head gasket seems to have turned out to be a bad radiator cap.

Attachments

#7 ·
DQ'd for self vote.

The following is in the rules on the first post and remains the same every month.

"Self votes are not permitted, and will not be tolerated. Any entrants voting for their own rig will be immediately disqualified."

Too bad too, beautiful Renegade.

Attachments

#8 ·
John82601

"Barbie" is our 1995 YJ. I drove my mother in-law to the dealership in 1995 to buy it as a surprise for my father in-law. It was used as their town car for a number of years. My pa-in-law returned the favor with the purchase of a 2009 JKUR. He asked if we wanted the '95 and we were Jeep owners. It was essentially stock when we received it. First order of business was a 4" lift and 33x10.5's on used TJ wheels. Next was the Ford 8.8 swap followed by 4.88 gears. Then a rapid progression of upgrades took place. SYE / CV Driveshaft, Spartan front locker / one piece axle replacement, 4.0 TB, Fiero electric fan, 5-speed to auto conversion (easier crawling with 4cyl), TJ Flares, 1.25" body lift, 35" Cepeks on 15x10 Ultra wheels, rebuilt the rear limited slip with Ford Motorsports carbon fiber clutches and Cobra spring, CB installation and some LED lighting. Aside from setting up the axle gears, all of the work has been performed by myself in the garage.
Barbie is primarily used as my DD and our family's fun vehicle. I'm a trail guide for 307 Adventures and she's a topic of conversation every trip. Our last trip involved Dennis Wood from Teraflex and the guys from AEV and their $80k JKU Hemi. In the sea of JK's, my YJ stands out and receives a lot of attention.
I also get called frequently for search and rescue operations. Last winter a local fire fighter was hunting and his Yukon slid off the road 27ish miles from the main road. He was found and extracted within 12hrs. We went in the following day to retrieve his vehicle. The 4-Runner with us put a connecting rod through his block and I drug him out to the highway. About that time another friend of ours arrived so he and I went back in and found the Yukon. I winched the Yukon back onto the snow covered road and we strapped him to the back of the JKUR (lockers, 37's, nicely set up for snow use). It was snowing so I re-broke the trail with the JKUR/Tahoe right behind me. It was an awesome adventure.
Recently a few friends of mine were on the mountain exploring trails. While out scouting a trail on foot, Khyler's F250 popped out of gear. It rolled 5-600yds until coming face to face with a dirt wall. I received the call the next morning asking if I could assist with extracting his truck. Two Wranglers, two winches (the other guy had a Harbor Freight that only pulled 3-4 seconds at a time before kicking out ) and a pair of anchor vehicles later we had it back on flat ground where the Duramax hooked onto it and drug it to the main road.

Attachments

#9 ·
Johnboy68

YJ Year: 1995
Specs and Mods:
* 4.0L I6 motor
* 8.8 rear with 4.11 gears
* 8.8 SOLID Cover
* 8.8 Lube Locker gasket
* JB Conversions SYE
* Cut down XJ front drive shaft for the rear DS
* Dana 30 front from a 4cy YJ with 4.11 gears
* RuffStuff Dana 30 diff cover
* Dana 30 Lube Locker gasket
* Ausie locker in front
* 2" Zone Springs
* 5/8" M.O.R.E boomerang lubeable shackles in front
* 1" BEZERK boomerang lubeable shackles in rear
* Ford F150 truck shocks on front and rear
* Dodge rear soft brake line (extends about 4" more than stock)
* Relocated front hard break lines for added length
* Custom front and rear bumpers
* DIY sliders
* C&C Fab DIY 3" flare front tube fenders finished with black Monstaliner
* Rear TJ flares on trimmed wheel wells
* Herculined tub
* 33"X12.50"s Goodyear Duratracs on 15" Cragar Soft 8s
* Traveller 10K winch
* Complete frame treated with Rust Bullet

In the near future I plan to build a swing out tire carrier on my rear bumper so I can haul my spare. Right now the spare won't fit on my stock carrier.

I bought the Jeep from a friend for my daughter when she graduated from high school. I put a little money in it and at the time it was completely stock. After three months of driving it she rolled it on a small country road. My original plan was to just fix the bare minimum and get it back on the road but ended up doing a tub off restoration. It took me two years to finish it and have been adding things the entire time. She used it as her daily driver her last two years of college. The Jeep has been back to me full time since she graduated from college. I don't have any plans on ever getting rid of it.

Attachments

#10 ·
Jeepfreak81

Vehicle Year: 1994 + many others

Year purchased: 9-30-1999

Engine and engine mods: 2001 Chevy lq4 6.0 77k miles

Drivetrain and drivetrain mods: Built 700r4, Np231C with Teraflex SS SYE, Tom Woods rear shaft

Axles, gearing, and mods: HP D44 front USA Alloy shafts, Spicer joints welded/D60 rear Ford limited Slip with Yukon clutches, 4.88 gears, J20 Steering box, F250 Front dual piston brakes, Chevy ¾ ton rear disc brakes, E350 Master Cylinder, Crossover steering.

Tires & wheels: H2 with Federal MT's or H1 Double Bead Locks, 37x12.5 custom cut BFG Baja (for now), PVC Inserts,

Lift and other suspension mods: BDS 2" SOA suspension and Shocks, removed Swaybar and Trackbars, modified Skyjacker traction bar

Exterior mods: Custom Rear bumper built by Nick_sg and I, Front bumper built by me with winch mount, Foglamps, rock rails with side step, functional ram air scoops for venting excess heat, LED backup lights,

Recovery and safety equipment: Koz Sport Cage, 12,000lb TX2 winch (Think pre-Megawinch), 9k lb Warn rear winch, Hi-lift jack, Strap, Tree saver, bubba rope and a fire extinguisher, Nightsun4x4 Sidewinder LED Headlights, assortment of tools and a rag

Skid plating: Stock Skid's for now

Other mods: YORK OBA, (currently disabled), Tuffy Security Console, Autometers, Cavalier seats, toolbox/cooler rack in place of spare

Best modification: 6.0CI V8 and the 4 wheel discs and overdrive trans. This jeep is very streetable even with the H1's. It easily and happily runs highway speeds of 70+

Brief History:

I searched for years for a Jeep when in high school. I was on JF in 2002 and around since this board was UBB. I never found anything locally. My build thread here was made in 2002 after the original was lost during a site upgrade if I recall correctly and documents the last 15 years of ownership and frustration.

I wanted a green/tan Sahara. All I could find in my price range were beat CJ5's. Until this jeep rolled into the Subway I worked at while in HS, I had called on it earlier in the day, and I loved it, but I did not yet know it was the one I called on.

Later that day I went to the house and it was the same Jeep, but disappointingly it was an SE 2.5l. I bought it anyway as it was in amazing shape.

I drove that little 4 cyl to 189k miles before a faulty oil filter gasket took its life. The Jeep remained mostly stock, with some lighting and interior stuff and a set of TJ Gamblers and Kelly all-terrains.
FF a few years and it got a carbed 350 and some 33's. The carbed V8 was ok, but in retrospect it is the worst mod I ever did to this Jeep. That engine was built by the rebuilder out of spec and ate itself up in 25k miles. I rebuilt it again and drove it another 3k, but had a commuter car at this point. I tore it apart to go SOA.

FF 8 years, as family, and work happened and it was parked in the neighbors garage. I finally bought a house with my own shop. My buddy and I finished the SOA and I still hated that engine, it wasn't right. I put in another carbed V8 and promptly floated a valve into the piston. Beyond frustrated I finally was in a position to start sinking money into it. Last summer it received the 6.0 and became the Jeep I always wanted, and now can finally improve beyond what I wanted. It isn't going anywhere.

This wasn't super brief, but unfortunately my ownership hasn't been brief and my the strife has caused my strong sentimental attachment.

Attachments

#11 ·
It’s open and there should be something for everyone! :thumbsup:

#19 ·
A tough month indeed! Showroom stock, full beast mode and every step in between. :thumbsup:

Reactions: bruinjeeper
#23 ·
Well, I am absolutely drooling over foo's Renegade! That would be the jeep I'd buy 100x over the others.

But jeepfreak, my goodness! Talk about keeping a jeep alive. He's put three motors in the darn thing to keep it going over the last 18+ years. That's crazy attachment and deserves serious props!

Updated to add: Voted. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.