Notorious turdy 5 strikes again... I think - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Notorious turdy 5 strikes again... I think

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
CleverNameHere
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Notorious turdy 5 strikes again... I think

91 yj, 4 cyl, 5 speed, 4.10, stock axles, 33's, winch... The basics of a high school students Jeep
Sooooo while I was heading home from our ranch a few miles away today, I had it in first and was pulling out onto the road and it felt like the rear-end was clunking/producing thick vibrations and what not, then I shifted to 2nd and it stopped... Then I came to a 4 way to turn left and when I took off in first it did it again, shifted to 2nd, did it again, shifted to 3rd... stopped... stopped at a stop sign, took off in 1st and shifted 2nd and 3rd and in each of those gears it had the same problem.... pulled over, put it in neutral (with the flashers) and rolled it back and forth a couple times... took off in first. nothing. shifted to 2nd.... nothing.
So I guess my question is am I right about it's problem being the rear end??
Also, could I buy a D44 (or any axle really) with 4.10's already in and put it under my jeep for $500??... Cuz that's all I've got left..
Thank you before hand

CleverNameHere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like it could be the spiders possibly.

Pop the cover and look.

Cheaper option would be an 8.8 with 4.10s. ~$200 for the axle, find somone who can weld, pay them 50 bucks to setup the perches for you, then the rest of your cash for connecting the brake lines, driveshaft, etc.

11 Ram 2500 - H&S tuned 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Its easy enough to jack it up and pop the cover off and take a look...if there is nothing wrong, it cost you some RTV and gear fluid... CHEAP... Sounds like a tranny issue thou. check your fluid , drain it and look for metal... Again cheap and easy...

For a swap an ford 8.8 is the way to go. 4.10s same bolt pattern... you can probably do it for just about $500

Some info for you.. http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=371713
LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5,lift,35"s,D30 Aussie, 8.8. Sold

Hummer Intake
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/
NHfireLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
Red93yj
2011 JK Wrangler 

I agree with nhfire sounds like a trans issue.
Red93yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
CleverNameHere
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Trans?? damn.... I'll still check my rear end out though, and replace my trans oil. What oil do I use for each?? just some 10 w30??
And around here D44's are around $200 also, I was just thinking that so I could reuse my spring perches and u bolts, are they not around $200 where you guys are??
Unread 12-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #6
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

not a d44 in any width that would make sense for a yj. 10w30 synthetic motor oil for the trans. 80w90 gear oil in the diff.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 08:43 PM   #7
CleverNameHere
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
not a d44 in any width that would make sense for a yj. 10w30 synthetic motor oil for the trans. 80w90 gear oil in the diff.
Thanks rat, and those D44's are too short?? I only persist with the D44 because of the no c-clip issue, I thought I could use one out of a Cherokee
Unread 12-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #8
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
Save your $$ and use walmart or no name brand instead of synthetic, Pleanty of us do...and its what is recommended by jeep
LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5,lift,35"s,D30 Aussie, 8.8. Sold

Hummer Intake
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/
NHfireLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #9
Drix
1995 YJ Wrangler 

C-clips are a non issue on an 8.8. And it is stronger then a 44.
95' YJ 4" lift 33"x12.5r15's D30/8.8 locked with 4:88's
USMC Jeep Club #6
"Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines."
Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February 1918
Drix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2012, 06:08 AM   #10
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverNameHere View Post
Thanks rat, and those D44's are too short?? I only persist with the D44 because of the no c-clip issue, I thought I could use one out of a Cherokee
If you can find an xj Cherokee d44 its the correct width but only ever came with 3.73 gears. They different make many.
If you mean fsj Cherokee they also didn't come with the 4.10's you're after. There is also the fact many of them were offset pumpkin rear ends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireYJ View Post
Save your $$ and use walmart or no name brand instead of synthetic, Pleanty of us do...and its what is recommended by jeep
The tab says to use synthetic. Dino oil probably quiets the gear noise better though.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #11
CleverNameHere
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Alright, I'll look for an 8.8, any specific vehicle or year I should look for?? Or just an old Ford Exploder??
Unread 12-21-2012, 12:51 PM   #12
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverNameHere View Post
Alright, I'll look for an 8.8, any specific vehicle or year I should look for?? Or just an old Ford Exploder??
95+ are prefered due to having disc brakes.

Hope this helps, ran a search for you:
http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/sear...serPage=1&iKey=

11 Ram 2500 - H&S tuned 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2012, 01:27 AM   #13
CleverNameHere
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you dillon!! I could get one of these for an x-mas gift to myself and my Jeep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.