Nothing When Trying to Start - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Nothing When Trying to Start

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 10-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #31
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

X2 on smacking it with a hammer. I found that the Bosch solenoids are a bit "tight" the way they fir the plunger, sometimes they stick. Also like Que said on the brushes. Usually having to smack it every time means the starter is going and needs a rebuild or replace. You might be able to fix it with a real good cleaning tho, I just took mine all apart and used solvent with rags.

Unread 10-24-2013, 06:38 PM   #32
huntdogg
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I can try, but I would have figured it loosened up when I had it working on the floor. I can take a hammer to it and make SURE I'm going to need a new one though! Lol
huntdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #33
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That is just it. It doesn't fix it. The brushes will still end up getting hung up again. You might have jarred them taking it off. You just need to tap it. You have my number. Call when you get back. You need ri be there for the family right now. We will get you going.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #34
huntdogg
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, bud. We are about to head out, so I will pick it back up with you guys after the weekend.
Unread 07-07-2014, 07:36 PM   #35
huntdogg
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So, I'm checking back in to update you guys on what ended up happening. After several times of pulling the starter and successfully bench testing it, only to have it not start when I put it back on...as well as many other tests that involved re-routing wires and jumping terminals and cleaning grounds and replacing the ignition switch...and blah blah blah...

My dad (who is usually never stumped) said "have someone turn the key and reach under there and tap it with a screwdriver," which sounded awful familiar to some advice I'd received on here ...and I'll be damned if it didn't fire right up. Pulled it off and bought a new one that night and she's been starting strong ever since.

If someone...ANYONE...can learn anything from this, I pray it saves you the frustration!
Unread 07-08-2014, 06:31 AM   #36
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The testing for alternators and starters doesn't always tell you the entire story. Glad to hear you got it running.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2014, 07:13 AM   #37
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for getting back to us on your solution.
So many of these posts just die. People get their Jeeps fixed and never post back the results.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.