Nothing When Trying to Start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Nothing When Trying to Start

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
huntdogg
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Nothing When Trying to Start

95 Wrangler Sahara w/ manual transmission

Last Friday, I stopped by the parts store to pick up stuff for an oil change, and when I got in my Jeep to leave, nothing happened when I turned the key. At the on position, everything lit up. The gauges turned on and the radio came on as normal, but when the ignition was turned to ON, there was no change. I can hear a little click at the starter relay, that's all.

I tried bridging the hot wire from the battery to the starter terminal and nothing happened, so naturally I thought the starter had gone bad. I pulled it and had it tested, and much to my surprise, it tested okay. They tested the battery next, and said it tested a little weak. We replaced the battery and lo-and-behold, it worked fine.

Fast forward to today. Exact same thing happens, with the brand new battery. Again, I bridged the starter terminal and got nothing. The battery seems to have plenty of spark. We push-started it and got it home, so now it sits in the garage unable to turn over.

I have had a couple of people say it could be the ignition switch, which makes sense right up to the point where bridging the starter terminal does not help. In my mind, that takes the ignition out of the equation, but the starter tested okay.

So I am stumped. Any ideas?

huntdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Check the big fuses in the PDC under the hood
Unread 09-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum.

Have you checked the output voltage from our alternator? If its not putting out you may have drained your battery over the last few days. Will she start with a jump?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
I am kinda partial to white.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
That's racist, Chris.
DirtKar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
huntdogg
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I checked all of the fuses. All good.

Thanks for the welcome DirtKar. I have actually been around the forum for awhile and posted under another username a few times. For some reason my email wasn't recognized anymore, so I created a new account tonight.

I have not checked the alternator at all yet, but I can say that jumping it did not help at all. I am beginning to wonder if there is a bad ground.
Unread 09-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yep, checking grounds would be next on the list. Not just looking at them but rather removing, cleaning and relanding them. Do some voltage checks and post up what you find. Starter issues are usually an easy find if you know how to read a meter.
Quote:
Quote:
That's racist, Chris.
Unread 09-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
huntdogg
1995 YJ Wrangler 

How's this for a plot twist...this morning she fired up just fine!

When I parked it in the garage last night, I checked that it wouldn't start again, but this morning it was like nothing had happened. I'm beginning to wonder if it's heat related. Heat increases resistance. Maybe it's doing something screwy with the relay. Maybe I'm just thinking out loud too much...
Unread 09-24-2013, 09:41 PM   #7
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntdogg View Post
How's this for a plot twist...this morning she fired up just fine!

When I parked it in the garage last night, I checked that it wouldn't start again, but this morning it was like nothing had happened. I'm beginning to wonder if it's heat related. Heat increases resistance. Maybe it's doing something screwy with the relay. Maybe I'm just thinking out loud too much...
Try an Ockham's Razor approach here. Cover the simple things first then move into the more complex. I'll bet you find your problem in the former.
Quote:
Quote:
That's racist, Chris.
Unread 09-25-2013, 09:09 AM   #8
blake989
1995 YJ Wrangler 

do some research on how to pin-out/test your ignition coil. Usually the coil just craps out all together, in the middle of traffic, on a one lane bridge...but occasionally they do act weird, and some of your symptoms do point to the coil.
Unread 09-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Kiss. Keep it simple stu...well we will let the last part of that go for now. You have 2 sides for juise to get it going positive and negative. While I bet you jumped the positive......Look at the battery ground to chasis and use the jumper cables as a bridge for the battery. Your problem is probably the high current wiring and jumper cables are your best friend in trouble shooting it..

If you hear a click when you turn the key chances are thats it. There is a slick way to bypass the ignition switch and turn the starter over under the hood. Jumper the starter relay in the pdc from pins 30 to 87 with a 3" piece 12 guage wire. It acts just like turning the key so do leave it there!
pdc-cover.jpg  
relay.gif

Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 05:21 PM   #10
huntdogg
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the help guys. I drove the Jeep to work today, started just fine. Started up just fine after work and I drove it home. Now, however, it sits in the garage unable to start again.

I tried using a jumper cable from the negative terminal of the battery to the chassis and nothing changed. In the silence of my garage I can hear the relay clicking over when I turn the key to start, but other than the click, it's as if nothing is happening (lights don't dim, starter doesn't do a thing, etc)

I also checked, there are no error codes other than 12 and 55.
Unread 09-25-2013, 05:39 PM   #11
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Jumper the starter relay.
Unread 09-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #12
huntdogg
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Nothing but a spark at the relay plug.
Unread 09-26-2013, 05:41 AM   #13
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Really, I didnt expect that. You have a bad starter. If the jumper cables supplied juice and jumpering the relay didnt work the starter is bad, reguardless of what their test said at the store.
Unread 09-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #14
huntdogg
1995 YJ Wrangler 

That's the direction my old man and I were leaning. I've read various other things, such as camshaft positioning sensor, crankshaft positioning sensor, ignition switch, etc. However, the more I try, the more I think it's the starter. Even jumping from the battery hot wire straight to the starter terminal does nothing. Just a spark.

Also, situation update for today, it did NOT start this morning after sitting all night. So I guess I can consider anything heat related just a coincidence...
Unread 09-27-2013, 09:53 AM   #15
huntdogg
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Took the starter off today and tested it on the floor with jumper cables and it seems to work fine. I'm thinking it HAS to be a bad ground somewhere because when I jump the starter terminals with a screw driver when it's installed, it doesn't work, but when I do it on the ground as stated, it's fine.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.