Nothing on my guages - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Nothing on my guages

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 12-15-2011, 09:00 AM   #1
Burgettw
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nothing on my guages

I have begun working on my yj after getting it running I have no guages or dash lights...not getting any power to the guages. I took the guages out and ran straight off the battery with some gator clips and I have movemnt from them so I am guessing they are still good. I have already purchased a manual and still no luck I have traced the wiring all the way back to the firewall. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Burgettw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2011, 10:04 AM   #2
redbullrr
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'm having similar problem. My Gauges were working and suddenly the RPM gauged crapped out no lights. My other gauges for Oil Pressure and Battery Meter only worked when the headlights were off. Now nothing other then the Speedometer is working. So frustrating. Got pulled over the other night because my headlights were off. Not having lights inside makes it hard to know your lights are off. LOL
redbullrr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
Burgettw
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yes sir I know what you mean...I just got the jeep last week and I have lights outside headlights, brake lights, blinkers and marker lights just nothing inside not even my heater works. I am not sure what to do now I found a relay under the dash that I replaced with the horn relay infront of the battery that I knew was good and still nothing. all my fuses are good I am just lost.
Unread 12-15-2011, 10:24 AM   #4
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Grounds? Tarnished connections? Clean everything up including the thin wire trace deal behind the gauges. Search this forum. Lots of write ups on that.
Unread 12-15-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
Burgettw
1993 YJ Wrangler 

10-4 I searched forum and tried to clean up contacts and circut board with dremel on low speeds and put some electric grease on every terminal under the dash, was just wondering if I was missing something pretty easy that someone has ran into before. But not giving up yet I will keep trying and if no luck I will put some manual guages in.
Unread 12-15-2011, 11:15 AM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Check the fuses:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/g...ioning-536919/

Check power and ground on the connector:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/n...gauges-745387/

If those are all good then the next step is to look at the ribbon for the guages for a burnt trace.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2011, 07:50 AM   #7
Burgettw
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So I worked with my dash last night, replaced every fuse execpt for a 35amp circut breaker but I think it is good because jeep would not crank without it.

Middle guages:
Test light grounded I had juice to only one prong on the cluster plug in the

Test light on positive side on battery I had juice to every prong and all through the circut board but guages were not moving.

Speedo and Tach:
blinkers working and bright lights but that is all.
Unread 12-16-2011, 09:09 AM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you look at the link I posted you can see 2 power wires and 2 grounds on the connector. It would be better if you bought a cheap $20 meter from harbor freight or radio shack to troubleshoot so you can read resistance. This is a link to the online service manual:
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowled...ex.htm#service

The link I posted previously had the layout for the cluster pins. You need to look at the pins and check power to the grounds on the connector and to chasis. You are losing one of them. Post back which pin or wire is not powering properly.

Read the power
Unread 12-16-2011, 09:32 AM   #9
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

When I re-wired my gauge cluster, I noted that *most* of the grounds ultimately ended up at the fuel gauge, or the oil gauge - they each had about 4 grounds tied to a common point. Including the lights. The left half of the ribbon grounds to the fuel gauge, the right half to the oil. Eventually both of thos combine into one ground somewhere inside the harness.

My dash ribbon was shot so I simply hardwired it all with solder to the gauge pins and into the factory harness. All on a common "buss" ground to the dash *and* the factory connector.. I couldn't afford the new ribbon ($80 at Morris 4x4) and I wa sick of dealing with flakey gauges.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2011, 09:36 AM   #10
Burgettw
1993 YJ Wrangler 

well I have a meter I will take a look tonight, I just feel as if I'm chasing my tail because I just got the jeep and do not know if the guages were even working before. so I posted a add on craigslist to see if anyone had a used set I could try before I start re wiring everything. Is there any way to test the guages like simulate them on my meter? I have a 4-20 amp simulater
Unread 12-16-2011, 09:45 AM   #11
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

To simulate the gauges, you use a variable resistor (rheostat).
Unread 12-16-2011, 10:15 AM   #12
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Check power and ground. For all the guages to not function you are losing one or the other. No need to replace or rewire. We can get it figured out if you have a meter and patience.
Unread 12-20-2011, 08:15 PM   #13
Burgettw
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So I have a update on my guages, Finally got a chance to work on them tonight. Found a 5 amp fuse on the fuse panel labled Acc lmps with no juice to it so I ran a hot wire to it and when it got power I have dash lights but my guages still have no movment. Also had very dim parking lights with the switch in the off position. Anyone have any idea where that 5 amp gets its power from? or why it has no juice?
Unread 12-21-2011, 12:01 PM   #14
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You have 2 seperate feeds for the cluster. 1 for the lights and the other for the guages. The 5 amp fuse is powered through the dimmer switch(Back lighting power) Or/Bk wire. It is a high fail part and easily replaced. The other 12Vdc feed for the guages and is a switched ignition feed through Ign/Lps 15 amp fuse that gets power from the yellow wire right off the ignition switch.
Unread 12-21-2011, 12:17 PM   #15
Burgettw
1993 YJ Wrangler 

10-4 I am pretty sure that fuse was good last night but I will check again and going to take the headlamp switch out and clean the contacts before I go buy another one...I would be happy for my guages to work and no dash lights at this po

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.