Not starting!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Not starting!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
goinggonzo92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Not starting!!

I have a 92 jeep wrangler yj and I was driving down the road and all of a sudden my jeep went dead. Pulled off to the side of the road cranked but wouldnt start. Waited about 5 minutes it started up and drove it straight home. After I shut it off it would crank but wouldnt start up again, been about 4 days and still not starting. A few months back it did the same thing after I had it parked for a couple weeks, but started up and shut off on its own after idling for about 5 minutes and wouldnt start back up again. A week later it started up and worked fine for a couple months up to recently....What the heck could it be? anyone ever go through this problem before?

goinggonzo92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Pour a little fuel/gumout/starting fluid into the throttle body and see if it fires and runs briefly. If it does, there is a problem with your fuel delivery. If it does not, you are not getting any spark. Let us know, and we can help you from there.
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
goinggonzo92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I checked the code and it came up 12-33-17 and 54. I dont have an A/C (33) engine running too cool?(17) Distributor sync pickup(54) and I couldnt find what was code for (12)
Unread 05-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinggonzo92 View Post
I checked the code and it came up 12-33-17 and 54. I dont have an A/C (33) engine running too cool?(17) Distributor sync pickup(54) and I couldnt find what was code for (12)
12 is normal (battery disconnect within the last 12 starts, even if it has been much longer than that). 17 is your issue. I recommend replacing the entire distributer as opposed to just the sensor as a rebuilt dizzy includes this sensor and does not cost that much more.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 06:19 AM   #5
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yes do the distributor and not just the sensor. The sensor in them tend to not be bad out of the box as often also. You also need to test the temp sender on the thermostat housing to make sure it is good since your computer thinks your engine is never hitting operating temp.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
goinggonzo92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

awsome thanks guys ill post the results after I get that done
Unread 05-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
booya1967
2006 TJ Wrangler 

any updates on this issue, I have one that is not starting also. hoping it is not the fuel pump!
booya1967 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #8
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by booya1967 View Post
any updates on this issue, I have one that is not starting also. hoping it is not the fuel pump!
Start a thread we will help you troubleshoot but tou need to start from the beginning

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using JeepForum

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 07:37 PM   #9
goinggonzo92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ok sorry it took so long to update my issue but anyways I went ahead and changed out the whole distributor and still no luck. I keep hearing about the crank shaft sensor, tends to be a problem. Is this the next issue I should look into?
Unread 06-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #10
goinggonzo92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

fuel system ecu fuse in the fuse box next to my battery was found with some rust on it, cleaned it up, plugged it back in and it started right up. eventually replaced it but glad it was a quick fix
Unread 06-07-2013, 07:55 AM   #11
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Gonzo, you might want to invest in some dielectric grease and put it on all your fuses. If you had one bad it is a safe bet the others are bad too.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.